Thursday, July 12, 2007

American Visa

My blogger buddy Lotus has reviewed a book titled "American Visa," by Juan De Recacoechea, which you can read here. It reminded me of the time I had applied for my student visa to come to the U.S. for my graduate school. I had to go to the Consulate in my city. At that time it was really chaotic as one had to go there at an unearthly hour and wait in a long line. Then they would let a few people go into the building where one had to go through the arduous security screening, much worse than airports, to finally get into the room where they conducted a visa interview. The interviewers were on the other side of a window pretty much like the ticket windows you see at the subway stations in NY or the NJ Transit Ticket windows. It is high time they have vending machines for the visa applicants like they have for tickets at train stations.

I remember our driver had taken me to the Consulate at an unearthly hour. On reaching there I noticed that there was a huge crowd of people who had come from outside the City and from other parts of the country, patiently waiting in line. There were stalls outside selling water, cold beverages and even snacks! Then there were a few enterprising people who had set their tables and chairs to sell bank drafts in the event that the visa applicants had forgotten to get the requisite amount. I couldn't imagine anyone doing that but was surprised to find that quite a few people were buying the drafts from them. I think the way these visas get denied, this non-refundable fee must be providing enough revenue, not just to support the personnel and other overhead expenses but also to make a handsome profit (I don't know but I am just guessing).

So anyway I went through the painful wait along with the oppressive monsoon heat while G, our driver, was napping comfortably in the car. I must tell you at that very moment I had wished that he were applying for the visa and I was napping in the car, without any care, instead. Finally I was ushered in and went through the security check and into the room where they interviewed people. After about an hour or was it two hours.....I cannot remember....they called my token number to the window.

The guy who interviewed me had such a thick accent and might have been from the deep south. I had absolutely no idea what he was talking about. He asked me a lot of questions and I kept asking him to repeat himself while struggling to hear him across the glass window. I was tired, hungry and so bored and the guy was making it worse by asking me totally ridiculous questions. Finally I told him that I didn't understand a word and that if he didn't want to grant me a visa, he shouldn't be wasting my time. He looked at me totally shocked and said that I am supposed to convince him that I can afford to go to the U.S. He told me that since I am not answering these questions properly he was forced to deny and that I should apply again. So I went back home totally confused as to what was so hard to understand from all the documents that I had given him to review. They looked pretty clear and self explanatory to me and thought that someone who interviews visa applicants for a living should have known this by now.

Anyway I went back after three days and went through the whole routine and was finally ushered in the room with the ticket windows....oops.....visa office. Since I was applying for the second time, I along with a few other people, had to wait and after about three to four hours I was called to the window. This time the woman had very clear speech and asked me where I was planning to study. I answered and she smiled, wished me luck and told me to go and pay my fees. That was it, the interview was over in less than two minutes. Now couldn't the first guy have done that instead of wasting my time and money?

I must tell you though that I entertained myself watching other visa applicants and wondering about their lives. I also noticed some of the visa guys gloat over crushing some poor blokes dreams of going to America! It has been quite a few years now but I still remember it so vividly.

5 comments:

FH said...

I remember the ordeal! I went to Madras,he kept asking me when did I get married and I told him it's in their on paper in your hand!I didn't understand he was just testing me just in case I am a fraud!:D
Yikes,going any Indian Embassy here or there for anything is a nightmare for us.

Lotus Reads said...

Hi, Sai!

Thanks for the mention! :)

I have never been inside an American Embassy either in India or elsewhere but when I lived in Chennai for a while, I could not help but notice the serpentine lines outside the embassy every time I drove by the place. Chennai heat being oppressive almost all through the year, my heart would go out to all the hopeful applicants.

The Indian Embassy here is highly disorganized...oh when will India allow dual citizenship?

Sai said...

Hi Asha:

I hear you about the ordeal. I don't mind being asked straightforward questions it is the ridiculous ones that I take an exception to. Believe me, I was asked totally nonsensical questions.

Hi Lotus:
You are welcome and it is my pleasure!

Lucky you to not have to go through this ordeal.

I am aware of how disorganized the Indian embassy is. I had got my passport renewed in New York a couple of years ago and had given the guy an earful about what I thought about his nonchalance and disregard towards other peoples time! The only difference between the Passport office in Mumbai and NY was that the guy in NY actually was embarassed and apologized :-D

karmic said...

I am glad the days of going to an American consulate/embassy for a visa are over. Phew!
Thank you for telling us about your experience.

NainaAshley said...

I had a very similar experience. I remember being camped out all night in front of the embassy with another friend. Fortunately for me the person across the counter was friendly and I did get my visa quickly.