Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Is ethnicity an essential ingredient in successful relationships?

Yesterday I had dinner with one of my very dear friends; let’s call her “A.” A is of Indian descent but was born and raised here in the United States. Her parents moved to the United States in the 60s, so left behind an image or their idea of India. India, however, has progressed by leaps and bounds since the 1960s; therefore their idea of the subcontinent seems so obsolete today. She is very fluent in Marathi but her speech is more reflective of her parents’ generation than hers! Her parents are her connection to India and all things Indian. She speaks chaste Marathi and it is comical when she uses words that are so reflective of my parent’s generation in her very American accent!

She has an MBA in Finance from one of the top business schools in the US. She lives on the West Coast and was here for two business meetings, one in Philly and the other in NYC. In between those meetings she found time to have dinner with yours truly. There is nothing like hanging out with your girlfriends and having great conversations. She is still single, which is quite a huge deal in the Indian community. Now no matter how liberal ones parents are and no matter how independent one is, they still want their children to get married within the set parameters. Risking broad generalization I would like to add that with Indian parents it is usually a “nice Indian boy or a girl” in their twenties. This then transforms to pleas of “please get married” when the children cross into their mid thirties.

Yesterday she mentioned to me about how her parents tried to set her up with some friend’s son and she was regaling me with stories of their very disastrous first date! She was complaining about not meeting the right kind of a guy. She was on the various Indian dating websites and she was thoroughly disappointed with the kind of men she was meeting. Her biggest peeve was most of the American born Indian men that she met were so bloody confused about their identity that it annoyed her to no end. According to her they try too hard to not associate with anything related to their parents culture. Additionally, quite a few of them were looking for action while she is looking for commitment. The Indian born and raised men, especially in her field of finance, are incredibly smart but socially retarded! I couldn’t but laugh at her broad generalization and told her so.

She then told me about how her mother took her to one of the social gatherings during this business trip in the hope that she could “arrange” a match for my friend. She relayed her mother's exact words while introducing her to the group. The words reflected the so called subservience that was traditionally expected from a girl child’s parents in a patriarchal society. It took me to the time when I had just finished architecture and my mother wanted to get me married. This was the time before I met and fell in love with K. My mother had a very different tone when she would try to set me up. When I used to protest, my mother said that she has to play this game and that I will never understand. I used to always get annoyed because I felt that I was as smart and educated as the guys she was trying to set me up with. If a guy as smart as I is considered a “catch” then why am I not the same? Today I am far more independent than I was then and I still don’t understand the logic. It is inconceivable for me to be subjected to something like my friend.

My friend is a very successful professional. In fact her earnings alone must have qualified her for the special tax breaks during the Bush era. Now if she were a man, then she would be considered a “catch." Perhaps many women would have wanted to be the trophy wife! Why is that rule not applicable to successful men? She is extremely bright, very attractive and very nice person but most men get intimidated by her success.

She has dated American guys in the past but she always felt that they never quite understood the Indian culture. Therefore she wants to marry someone who is from India or whose parents are from India. She is well traveled and very cosmopolitan in her outlook that this really surprised me. What is her idea of Indian culture? I never viewed her as an Indian but as my American friend because that is who she is. Apart from the United States, she has lived in London and Zurich; therefore she has never lived in India. Her idea of India is based upon her childhood summers in the country. The last time she was in India was three years ago. What is Indian about her except her name and skin tone? In fact a few of my friends from India have American spouses and very successful relationships. Therefore I do not agree that ethnicity is a necessary ingredient to make the perfect relationship dish!

15 comments:

Simply Naked said...

I really enjoyed this post and it def reminds me of myself...
I mean I moved when I was 12 so when I usually go back I am the Americanize one lol .. bc I have a an accent when i speak my native language and all.. But I do agree with her that it usually easier to date someone of your own cutlure bc they understand the way you were raised, your background and traditions and alo raising your kids the same way and all ... I so agree with the fact that men are intimated by a beautfiful successful women but I think she will fid someone soon..

Sai said...

Hi,
Thanks for stopping by and for your comments.

I am glad though that you still continue to speak your own language and retain your identity. It is difficult to be able to do that when everyone around you speaks in English.

Yes, it is true that similar cultural background can be a binding factor because the person can understand where you are coming from.

I am very sure she will find the right person soon! She is such a lovely person.

Lisa Johnson said...

It's very interesting that you consider her American and not Indian. Why not both?

Most Americans are hyphenated whether they want to admit it or not. Italian-American, Irish-American, African-American. No matter how many generations we are here, there is usually something else besides American that we strongly identify with.

And unfortunately name and skin tone can be very important. Depending upon where you are and what people you run across, name and skin tone can be either a saving grace or get you seriously hurt or killed.

Glad to see you back blogging again Sai! ; )

karmic said...

I agree with what Anali has to say about your friend. One does not have to be one or the other and can be both.
Loved reading your post. Reminds me why I like blogs more than FB, more gravitas I suppose?
I actually would think that as good as the notion sounds of marrying one from your own ethnic background, it also discounts the fact that compatibility can be found without the need for a common ethnic thread.
Now she has more experience here so who knows.
Intrigued by the statement about the Indian born men from finance being socially inept?
Likely a generalization.
I hate the term "catch" sort of makes it seem like a commodity, but if I were to use it then yes she sure sounds like it.
I don't know a lot of men married to women who are more successful then them.
It is about the partnership really.
I hope she can step outside some of the generalizations.
I wish her luck.
I might come back to this post with more thoughts later, if they are coherent that is.

Sai said...

Hi Anali,
So good to see you here :)

You are absolutely right and I am not debating that at all. she is an Indian-American by descent. However her understanding of the Indian "culture" is rather provincial. Besides same ethnic background is not a guarantee for a successful relationship. I feel she is limiting herself and should have an open mind.

Yes name and skin tone can be very significant and the sad reality of someone getting hurt based upon it.

By the way I couldn't make coconut icecream but had coconut mojitos instead to satisfy my coconut craving ;)

Sai said...

Hey Jay,
I ABHOR THE WORD CATCH. I used it in parenthesis and basically on purpose to be sarcastic because of our Indian marriage market. ;)

BTW she is a fellow ghaat so her mom said to the group "Yanda kartavyaa ahey." REminded me of the mangalashtakas..."shubbha mangal savadhaan" LOL.

Sai said...

@ Sanjay...I couldn't stop laughing when she mentioned that desi guys are socially retarded. It is indeed a broad generalization. These little things made me realize how little she really knows about India.

I love Facebook for a simple reason that I got in touch with all my friends from school, undergrad etc. However I miss the anonymity blogging offers.

Sai said...

Meant *quotation* not *parenthesis*....was late in the evening and my brain had stopped functioning. Pardon my incoherence. :)

Lotus Reads said...

What a fascinating post Sai, and so much of what you say resonates with me because I have a couple of friends who sound just like the girl you mention. These friends are in their mid-30's, highly qualified, attractive, American/Canadian born but of Indian descent,single and CONFUSED! When we meet up and when the conversation turns to guys and marriage (as it always does) I find that they really don't know what they want in a husband. From what I gather they are probably more comfortable with an Indian boy raised as an American, but they tell me these guys aren't easy to meet because they (the boys)in turn prefer Indian girls (born and brought up in India!)

A book that comes to mind is "Marrying Anita" where the author, Anita Jain, is in such a predicament herself. Sadly, her story doesn't have one of those fairy tale endings for despite travelling to India to date a variety of men, she ends up alone. I hope your friend has better luck!

Sai said...

I have got to check this book. By the way I have been wanting to read Vikram Seth's book, "A suitable boy" since a very long time.

I hate the word ABCD as it is so derogatory but in many ways she is confused. She is defensive about it and hated Namesake because "that is not how we are." However you have absolutely nailed it because that is what the issue is, they have an idea of India which is very different from what we know.

Besides India is not that homegenous mass of people and there are so many layers. For e.g. we are from Bombay and sometimes find it difficult to relate to people from other parts of the country as they don't have our experience.

x said...

I was born and raised here,with first generation immigrant parents,and I can completely relate to your friends plight.My mother is Nigerian and her views on her homeland are the views of a person in diaspora,not what actually is.The way Nigeria was 35 years ago,the time of her departure is not the way it is in 2010,it has a much more pronounced western influence.The language and slang my mother spoke is what the older generation speaks,those customs and rituals she practices here are now considered archaic in Nigeria.At times its difficult getting my mother to understand that things are no longer the way they were.It is also difficult trying to navigate through life with all these conflicted views and parental influence.

karmic said...

Hey Sai, I missed the part where you said "catch" in quotes. Thanks for pointing that out!
How much of your friends outlook is due to her parent's influence you think?
IMHO I try to tell myself that the India of today is not like the one I left almost 2 decades ago. I just find it easier to deal with things, not sure if that is the reason for it.
Hope your friend finds the right match, regardless of where they are from.

Sai said...

Hi Mrs B,

Yes most expatriates leave with an image of their home country. The country is dynamic but they are frozen in time. Your and my friend's parents have the same idea of their respective homes.

So you are Nigerian, huh. I have very recently been exposed to Nigerian literature...read Chimamanda Adiche's three books. I also read the great Chinua Achibe's
"things fall apart."

@Snaj,
Yes of course the parents have influenced her outlook a lot! THere is no doubt in my mind about it.

Yes I hope she does too...as you get older you need to spend your life with someone else.

x said...

Oh Wow! You've read Chimamanda Adichie,and Achebe,did you enjoy their works?If you liked them I think you would also enjoy authors,Wole Soyinka and Nkem Ohwo.So to what Indian ethnic group do you belong? Two of my very good friends are Gujarati...I think thats how its spelled?

Sai said...

I enjoyed both their works! I know who the great Wole Soyinka is but unfortunately I have not yet read his work. I do want to read his the interpretors.

I have unfortunately not come across Nkem Ohwo or his/her work? My friend Lotus (her comment is above)has an amazing blog wherein she reviews books. She had reviewed this book entitled "The secret lives of Baba Segi's Wives" by Lola Shoneyin. This is based in Nigeria as well. I have asked my library to obtain it for me so I can read it.

I am a Maharashtrian. This is a coastal state located immediately to the south of Gujarat.