Saturday, April 07, 2007

American Idol



I do not watch American Idol and didn't really care about the show. I do know, however, that American Idol makes an excellent water fountain conversation. The other day at my workplace, I saw a group of people discussing American Idol and complaining about the guy “Sunjee.” Someone wondered where the hell did the name “Sunjee” come from while some other person corrected the others and said that it was “Sanjaaya.” Someone else noticed me and nudged the others and they all dispersed with sheepish grins. I was really curious and wanted to know who this “Sunjee” guy was and therefore that evening tuned in to watch American Idol. I found that "Sunjee" is Sanjaya Malakar. How come there is no big hoopla about him with the desi tabloids, who pretty much cover anything about the desi diaspora in North America?

I thought that Sanjay Malakar was Maharastrian because a lot of Maharashtrian last names have the suffix “kar” which basically translates as “belonging to,” and it is generally a certain village. Like the legendary Indian singer Lata Mangeshkar or the legendary cricketers “Gavaskar” and “Tendulkar,” who all are incidentally Mumbaikar like yours truly. His sister, who also auditioned for the show, is named Shyamali which is another very common Maharashtrian name. Enquiring minds wanted to know so just to be certain; I did some sleuthing to find that he is not a maharashtrian but a bengali from his father’s side. Who knew? Anyway the guy cannot sing to save his life but I think is surviving on the show because of the appeal he has with teenage girls all over the United States.

As an Indian I have been asked a lot of stupid questions from random people like,
“Don’t women get beaten a lot by their husbands in your country like when they don’t get dowry and all?”

I have answered in the past, “No not really but we have a day in the Hindu calendar called “Punchami” which is celebrated nationally as a day where women get punched by men. Men randomly target women, not necessarily their wives and beat them black and blue.”

To my non-Hindu readers Punchami is indeed a day in the Hindu Calendar and means the fifth day after the waxing or waning moon and has got nothing to do with getting punched!

“Don’t women like always wear a red dot?”

I have answered, “Yes they do but only on days they are seeing red.”

These days I don’t have the patience to come up with creative answers and tell people that Wikipedia is a good resource for finding information and “google search” is another useful tool as well.

Therefore I was asked the other day, “Wow that Sanjay Malakar is hawt….like… are all Indian guys hot?” I had a half mind to tell her to check the Edison area in New Jersey and find out for herself!

I told K that it was such a welcome relief to see a lousy but hawt Indian singer on primetime television than seeing perverted desis getting caught at a sting operation, on NBC’s “How to Catch a Predator?”

PS: I am hooked on to Idol now. It is not for the show but to see for how long the miracle that lets Sanjay move on from one level to the other lasts!

17 comments:

Dan said...

Sai, is it true that people in India eat dirt? Just teasing! Yeah, I can imagine that stupid questions like this can drive you nuts. I spent three weeks in India (for vacation) a while back and my Indian friends at work warned me about it, and warned me, and warned me. I loved it. And they were amazed!

Happy Easter and/or Passover and/or whatever holiday you choose to celebrate!

Sai said...

Hey Dan
LOL Yes you are right, "Mud slide" is my fav flavor in icecream and I didn't know why till you pointed out ;-D


Being a bitter person, the only holiday I follow is Festivus and only for the pole of grievances.

FH said...

Sai,do you know Sanjaya's dad is classical singer and both his kids are trained by him?
Sanjaya is good singer but the song he chooses are horrible and he needs lot of experiece!He is 17!!
A girl who lost two week's was saying he was a good singer but somehow it doesn't show on the stage.
Earlier in the show,he did a hoola dance,that gave me nightmares for days,it was HORRIBLE.I hope he gets out soon although I like him.

LOL @ red dot!Enjoy the long weekend!

karmic said...

Thank you for the research re his name. I assumed he was Marathi too..d'oh, but I am no fan of the show so you can guess how far I researched this.

lol@ your comeback to silly Qs. You know my workplace is different,I don't get asked Qs like that. Maybe it's me.. I must not feel desi enough? ;)

I did have once co-worker (who does not watch the show but has heard about it)ask me if I was gonna grow my hair as long as Sanjaya.
I do think his popularity is hard to explain, wonder if it is some sort of a cheap publicity thing that Howard Stern is plugging him?

Shruti said...

sanjay malakar has been in the news here as well. I guess it's more publicity than anything. Here in India too there are these talent contests and by the end of it they win due popular vote with people sending sms's to the channel. so how far talent comes into the pic is anyones guess.

Sai said...

Hi Asha:
There is a wikipedia entry on Sanjay Malakar and that is where I read about his father as well. I don't follow the show that much and don't remember everyones names but I do like the three girls who are amazing. By the way I turn the TV on WEdnesday around 9:15PM to see the elimination round. I totally bypass the mon and tues shows.

Sai said...

Hi Sanjay:

Well I am no fan of AI either but I was very curious to know because I had never heard the last name "Malakar" before. I was wondering where the location of "Mala" gaon was. I know....I need to get a life...LOL!

My new workplace is not like that at all. Everyone is pretty smart and very sophisticated. The above questions were at my old workplace. My old workplace was full of ignoramuses!!!

I didn't know about Howard Stern plugging him! YIKES

Hey Shruti:
Well it is true in India about people being popular because of their looks. For e.g. the iconic status of a former Miss World.

Lotus Reads said...

Hi, Sai!

Yeah, I thought he was a Maharashtrian, too! Like you said, he can't sing, I feel pretty certain the only reason he is still there is because certain parties (Howard Stern and some others) want to have some fun at American Idol's expense and they get people to vote for him...at some point they will ditch him I am sure.

THey say he is hugely popular with the teens and preteens, but he's not all that popular with my daughters or their friends, they can't wait for him to be voted off!

Been here 6 years and I still haven't been asked any ridiculous questions about India so far...wish they would..I would love to use one of your clever repartees! :)

Fuzzylogic said...

Talk about people asking stupid questions and the red dot thing is pretty common.I was also asked why do they wear those big red dots and I had replied that women wear them so their husbands can practice shooting using those red dots as targets.Your answers were pretty good too,I will make a note of them and use them if I have to:)It can get pretty irritating at times and the amount of ignorance is appaling:)
About AI I don't watch it but I did catch on a couple of episodes just to see this guy Sanjaya,truly the guy can't sing and he continues to amaze me as to how he has not been booted out of the show yet.AI has now become a popularity contest rather than a talent show.I also thought he was a Maharashtrian by his name,so he is a Bengali!

Beenzzz said...

Sai,
I get a lot of those stupid questions too. It's so annoying!!! I had this girl (that I had never met before) walk right up to me and asked me if my marriage was arranged and if I bow and say, "namaste" all the time. Needless to say, I told her to take a flying leap. What nerve!!! I actually feel really bad for Sajaaya. Why does everyone have to make fun of M. Knight Shamaylan's (hope I spelled that right!:)name? Why...because it's different? Sometimes I feel like the rednecks are falling out of the cracks in droves.

Sai said...

Hey Lotus:
Lucky you! Maybe because you don't look "Indian enough" ;-) LOL that is one of the annoying comments that have come my way.

Hey Fuzzy:
I love that retort red dots as shooting practice target. I have even made some very off-color comment about the red dot, which I most certainly won't repeat on a public forum....all I can say that it was very funny!

Hey Beenzz:
Do people make fun of M Night Shyamalan? Why? I loved his movie "Sixth Sense."

I have had people make fun of my name including at the Port of Entry at JFK. All the times I have been able to come back with sarcastic retorts. I can confidently say that the 22 hour plane journey and jet lag hasn't been able to overpower my sarcasm yet!

Lotus Reads said...

LOL, Sai, that is quite possible...but the minute I open my mouth and my Bombay accent pours forth, they know! ;)

But yeah, it's so annoying when people refuse to believe you're Indian, annoying and a little sad too.

Sai said...

Hey Lotus:
Yes I agree it is annoying. At my old workplace I was told that a few times and I said, "I don't know whether you mean it as a compliment or insult." People are too embarassed to respond to that!LOL

nessie said...

Its crazy that people say that. i am horrible at pronouncing ANY NAME.

I often ask people of other ethnicity questions about their culture and tradition. Over the years, people have had patience to share with me the traditions of Judaism, Shinto, Korean Nationality etc. and I have become so familiar with them. Asking question with curiosity is great - as an italian i love it. Even a joke about being a wop is cool - no point in being anal. but those who treat it as abnormal... thats a problem.

Sai said...

Hey Nessie:
Of course it is understandable if people are unable to pronounce unfamiliar names. It is not funny when purposely people will make fun of it in a demeaning fashion and that to me is annoying!

Also being asked a question about my culture/ethniticty is OK. I have answered them to the best of my ability in the past.

One can guess from the tone and the intent and that is when I respond with sarcasm. After a while it just gets plain annoying.

Again I wouldn't make a joke about anyone being "wop" at all. At the same time certain jokes are perfectly OK if they are between your close friends.

Incidentally I make fun of my "Indianness" and my Hindu faith all the time with my closest friends who aren't Hindu or Indian for that matter. I have a self-deprecating sense of humor. I just draw a line when strangers or acquaintances think they can get away with smart-ass comments. That's all!

Lisa Johnson said...

I've never seen AI, but I feel like I'm out of the loop now with most of the country. I need to tune in just to see the phenomenon that is Sanjaya! Oh and now I hear that his sister is famous too and has her own following.

Sugarlips said...

I followed AI in the begining and I was so sure Sanjaya won't stay for a long time but I'm amazed to see he is still in the contest...Thanks for sharing all the info.
Hope you are doing great :)

Stay Beautiful...!