Saturday, June 30, 2007

Lost in Joisey

Have you ever watched Chevy Chase’s movie National Lampoon’s Vacation and thought to yourself that it was so far fetched to even be true, especially the scene when they get lost in the desert in Arizona. You must be wondering where I am going with this story, trust me, I do have a story. A few days ago I was driving to work. Quite like this morning it was a nice crisp morning, the birds were chirping, the air was romantic but of course I was going to work! There is nothing romantic about going to work and basically doing geeky stuff.

I usually take this particular Interstate for about 20 miles and then take the County roads. As I slowed down on the exit ramp, which incidentally curves rather sharply, I saw this woman standing beside her car waving furiously. It was about 7AM and she looked like she was dressed for an important meeting or a job interview. She looked completely distressed. I had cranked my window open so heard her scream “Please stop….please stop and help me.” She almost ran in front of my car which freaked me out but like a Good Samaritan I stopped to ask her what was wrong? From her accent, she appeared to be a foreigner though not from my part of the world or continent. She asked me where this particular interstate led. I said that she was traveling to the east and that it eventually led to the Jersey Shore. She panicked and said that she wanted to go to Connecticut! I told her that she was driving in a totally wrong direction. At the same time I checked in the rear view mirror to see two cars waiting behind me rather patiently. I told her to move away so I could pull into the shoulder to allow the other cars to pass and not get delayed like yours truly.

So then I told her that she had to take the NJ Turnpike but that she missed that exit and she had driven almost 15 miles in a different direction. While I was explaining how she could continue and take the northbound Garden State Parkway which eventually met with the Turnpike in North Jersey, she looked past me and loudly yelled, “Don’t worry I am only asking for directions.” I looked through the side view mirror to see an unmarked cop car with flashing lights parked right behind my car. The cop got out of the car and asked me if something was wrong. I told him that she was lost and she had stopped me to ask for directions. The cop smiled and told me that he thought from a distance that we had an accident and that the other woman was aggressively intimidating me! At that very moment, the cop and I asked her simultaneously, “Where are your maps?” She explained to us that she had her windows open and the printouts of the route map just flew out of the window and she didn’t have her bearings and being out of state had no idea where she was! So I requested the cop to give her proper directions so I could leave. The woman was so overwhelmed that she told the cop, "This lady is an angel….was the only one who stopped to help….God Bless you etc.” (I said to myself….stop you are embarrassing me but do go on)

After I left I couldn’t stop laughing and called K to tell him what happened. For some reason that woman’s predicament reminded me of Chevy Chase in that movie. K’s first reaction was that I shouldn’t randomly stop like this as it might not be safe as I didn’t know who the woman might be. I replied that it was 7:15 AM and from her overall appearance that woman, wearing a business suit, clearly didn’t look like someone who would mug commuters!

Moral of the Story: It is worth investing in a GPS System if your car doesn’t already have one OR the cheaper aternative would be to not roll down the windows on a windy day!

11 comments:

Dan said...

Sai, you really are an angel because you made this woman, who had felt so utterly alone, very grateful that you stopped to help.

That's the moral of the story as far as I'm concerned. And you deserve a big hug for that!

Sai said...

Thanks Dan, you are too kind. Well being nice is a rather aberrant behavior for me ;-)

karmic said...

lol.. You are truly very kind to have stopped and helped her out.

Lotus Reads said...

lol, Sai, I am forever getting lost, and a GPS system is probably on my wish list for Christmas. You really are an angel for stopping to help this lady out. Those of us who have lost our bearings on the interstate or highways as we call them here, know just how scary that can be!

NainaAshley said...

You are kind but you are also very brave. Most of the times I'm too scared to stop because you hear stories of car jacking etc. I'd rather call a cop and inform them that there is someone needing help. You did great!

Sugarlips said...

You truly are an angel Sai but like K said always be careful :)

Stay Beautiful..!!

Sai said...

Hey Sanjay, Lotus, NainaAshley and Sugarlips:

Good Heavens you guys....I am no angel.....it was just one of those days when I exhibit a behavior not like my true cold, nasty and noncaring self! ha ha ha....Thanks a lot for your comments.

Hey Lotus:
GPS is on my wishlist too. It is certainly useful if one drives a lot.

Hey Naina:
It is true about being mugged or car jacked on highways but I just followed my instinct in this case. Besides you could tell from the overall appearance and the type of car she was driving that she certainly wasn't anyone dangerous. In fact she looked more nervous being stranded on the highway!

Hey Sugarlips: Are you settled in your new home?

FH said...

LOL @..(I said to myself….stop you are embarrassing me but do go on)
I always get lost in this small town!! I need a angel like you ASAP!! or may be a GPS!!:D
I am back home and just started surfing 100+ bloggers!!OY!!!:)
Happy 4th.

Dan said...

You're plenty nice Sai! I know you have a squishy center. :)

Happy 4th!

Fuzzylogic said...

Happy Forth Sai!That was indeed brave as well as mighty kind of you to have stopped over to help. I'm sure that lady will always remember the kind gesture of yours. I'm pretty bad with directions as well and have ended up getting lost many a times on those highways and it does get scary if you lose even your map!Now the GPS is my new found savior:)

Lisa Johnson said...

So funny! That poor woman! Lucky for her you came along! I've had that fear of the directions blowing out the window a bunch of times.

I was especially scared when I was driving to a wedding in New York. I would have had no idea where I was. I don't know what I would have done! I guess hoped that you'd drive by! ; )