Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Tryst with Destiny


Tomorrow....well it is 9:47EST so it is 7:15 AM Indian Standard Time, August 15, 2007. Sixty years ago on this date we made our tryst with destiny. I would like to quote part of the late Jawarharlal Nehru's , our first Prime Minister's address to the nation.....

Long years ago we made a tryst with destiny, and now the time comes when we shall redeem our pledge, not wholly or in full measure, but very substantially. At the stroke of the midnight hour, when the world sleeps, India will awake to life and freedom. A moment comes, which comes but rarely in history, when we step out from the old to the new, when an age ends, and when the soul of a nation, long suppressed, finds utterance. It is fitting that at this solemn moment we take the pledge of dedication to the service of India and her people and to the still larger cause of humanity......

It has been sixty years since India's independence from the colonial rule of the British. The Indian flag is a horizontal tricolour in equal proportion of deep saffron on the top, white in the middle and dark green at the bottom. The ratio of the width to the length of the flag is two is to three. In the centre of the white band, there is a wheel in navy blue to indicate the Dharma Chakra, the wheel of law in the Sarnath Lion Capital. This center symbol or the 'CHAKRA', is a Buddhist symbol erected around 250 BC. It's diameter approximates the width of the white band and it has 24 spokes, which intends to show that there is life in movement and death in stagnation. The saffron stands for courage, sacrifice and the spirit of renunciation; the white, for purity and truth; the green for faith and fertility. There are rules for the display of the Indian flag. Therefore when I first came to the United States, incidentally I left India on August 15th, I was really surprised to see the American flag displayed on private properties.

To all my American readers, July 4th is typically associated with fireworks, barbecue and drinking beer. August 15th, however, is a "dry day" in India. Dry day does not mean no rainfall or no water or no wetting beds but instead means that no alcohol is sold anywhere in the country as in restaurants, liquor stores etc. Of course there are certain states like Gujarat that are considered "dry" states in India, where alcohol consumption is prohibited (famous last words). India has certain days in the year that qualify as dry days, which includes certain festivals, Gandhi's birth anniversary, Independence day, Republic day etc. Of course that means no alcohol in public places....you could get sloshed at home with your friends! So the warning of dry days means....please stock your bar the previous day and get totally wasted on the "dry" day! With that to all my Indian readers...have a wonderful Independence day!...hic hic hic.

19 comments:

Nabeel said...

did you hear about this guy who flew the American flag upside down and then was arrested for disrespecting it? Turns out that flying the flag upside down is the height of patriotism. It is a sign of state of distress.

FH said...

I didn't know about "dry day!" , that is nice thing to do!:))
Happy I day to you, enjoy!

Beenzzz said...

Happy Indian Independence Day to you, Sai!
I had no idea it was a dry day either! Thanks for that bit of knowledge.

Sreelu said...

Sai no wait Samyuktha, boy I loved reading your blog and let me tell you it wasn't easy reading pretending to be working.I spent the entire afternoon reading every post of your including taking your quizzes,which by the way apprently I am Sponge Bob.
Loved you paintings and writing style as well.
Blog freind you are blogrolled

NainaAshley said...

Caught your post a day later so belated Happy Independance day to you too!. Nice post.

Lotus Reads said...

Happy August 15th, Sai and sorry I'm late! Nehru's "Tryst with Destiny" speech remains my all time favorite, along with Martin Luther's "I have a Dream". I still get goosebumps everytime I listen to it!

Didn't know Aug 15 was a dry day in India!

"Little India" in Toronto is going to be celebrating Independence Day this weekend, but I won't be going because we're having people over this weekend.

Dan said...

So the warning of dry days means....please stock your bar the previous day and get totally wasted on the "dry" day!

LOL!! People aren't stupid! It's not Independence from alcohol they're celebrating after all. :)

Happy Independence Day!

Sugarlips said...

Happy Independence Day Sai, sorry I'm late but late is better than never :)

Hopefully you are doing great!

Stay Beautiful...!!

karmic said...

Belated Happy Independence day. Hope you are well? Loved the part of the speech you quoted. And yes the MLK speech as Lotus says still gives me goosebumps.

Lisa Johnson said...

I hope you had a great Independence Day Sai! Nice post!

Dan said...

Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday dear Sai,
Happy birthday to you!

I hope you have a great day Sai!! Hugs and love!

Lotus Reads said...

Thank you, Dan, for letting us know it's Sai's birhtday.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Sai, and many,many more! Hope you had a great day!

Sai said...

Hey Guys:
Thanks a lot for all your comments and wishes. It has been rather busy at work and I haven't had the time to blog. Hope all of you are doing well!

Hey Dan:
This is rather uncanny that you remembered my birthday!!!! WOW I am really impressed! I don't remember blogging about this. Anyway Thanks a lot for your wishes. I have to check your blog because I really need to laugh a lot.

Hey Lotus:
Thanks a lot! It was fine.

Sugarlips said...

Salgirah bohut bohut mubarak hou Sai, Khuda app ko aisi hazaron din dekhna naseen karay :)

*Belated Birthday Hugs*


I'm going to Pakistan for few months, its been crazily bz since past few weeks, bhai is getting married so looking forward for some crazy bhangra in Pakistan :)

You stay happy and beautiful, if you need anything drop me an email or let Nabeel know :)

Sai said...

Hey Sugarlips:
Thanks a lot for your kind wishes.

Congratulations on your bhai's engagement! Ahhhh I love weddings from our part of the world....so colorful and so full of life! I am looking forward to some pictures on your blog. I reckon I will see some lovely zardosi salwar kurtas and mojdis as well. have a ball shopping! I am craving for some serious retail therapy right now....of course desi retail therapy :-D

So have you decided what you are wearing for the wedding???? Have a lot of fun and enjoy the bhangra!

Lisa Johnson said...

I hope you had a great birthday Sai! I thought I remembered that you were a Virgo too. Now that we've moved into Libra, I figured the day must have passed. Take care! ; )

Fuzzylogic said...

I have been missing out on a lot here:)How have you been doing Sai..seems like even you have been busy!

Sai said...

Hey ANali:
Thank a lot for your b'day wishes

Hey Fuzzy:
Nice to see you here after a long time. Hope all is well with you and your family!

Sai Ganesh Nagpal said...

An interesting observation, about dry day. I happened to chance upon your blog, and this post caught my eye :-) "Moderation" is one of the great values that our great nation was founded upon. Sadly, this value has been renegated to paper policies and lip service. We're turning into a nation of excesses -excess of everything. We're getting known as a country of loud, uncouth, brash people who spit in public, eat too much, talk too loud, pry too much. It is truly heartbreaking to see us turn into the antithesis of who we were.