Sunday, January 07, 2007

Chicken in Coconut Curry


The above picture is taken from wikimedia website. I forgot to take pictures of the finished dish.

This is a very traditional Maharashtrian chicken dish, which is typically eaten with fried dumplings called "vade." I cannot believe there is a wikipedia entry to this dish! If you are interested you can read it here and here. Being a reluctant cook I only made the chicken dish and absolutely had no interest to make the dumplings. There is no way I am going to spend the whole day slaving in the kitchen! Anyway here is the recipe as I have learnt it from my mother if anyone cares or is interested to know how to make it.

INGREDIENTS:

One mid-size chicken cut to small pieces.

Marinade:

2 tsp turmeric powder

Juice of two lemons

2 tsp red chilli powder

Salt to taste

Marinate the chicken with the above mixture for atleast an hour.

As I had mentioned earlier I make my own garam masala as i find it very therapeutic. The aroma of the roasted spices takes me to my mother's and grandmother's kitchen.

Garam Masala

Garam Masala:
2 tb sp corriander seeds
3 tsp cumin seeds
1-2 tsp peppercorns
1-2 tsp cloves
1-2 cinnamon sticks
1 tsp green cardamom
5-6 bay leaves
2-3 star anise
1 tsp mace
With a drop of oil, roast corriander seeds and cumin on medium heat. Then add the other spices and roast them well on low heat. After cooling grind it fine on a masala grinder. You can also use a coffee bean grinder if you want.

Coconut & Onion Masala:

1 cup dessicated coconut.

1 finely chopped onion.


Roast the dessicated coconut in a pan till it turns a nice peach/biege in color. Set aside and let it cool. You don't need to add oil as coconut itself is oily.
Add a drop of oil and saute the chopped onions till it turns colorless and then a nice brown color. Set aside and cool.
Grind coconut and onion seperately to a fine paste in the grinder. After that you may mix the two.

Ingredients for the curry:
4 onions finely chopped
1/2 tsp asafetida
2 tb sp ginger paste
2 tb sp garlic paste
2 tomatoes finely chopped
2-3 tsp red chilli powder
1-2 tb sp of the above-mentioned ground garam masala
1 tb sp oil
Salt to taste


Method:

Heat oil in a wok and add asafetida. Add onions and saute them till they are colorless. Then add the ginger and garlic paste. Then add the red chilli powder as that gives the curry that red color as you see in the above image. Add the tomatoes and saute the mixture really well.
Add the chicken pieces and mix very well. Add the ground garam masala and cook for about five minutes. After that add the ground coconut and onion and water as per the desired level of consistency and bring to boil. It takes around 20 to 25 minutes to make this dish.
Garnish with fresh cilantro. This is accompanied by a salad of onions with lemon. We had it with chapati (Indian bread) as the traditional dumplings are fried and don't agree with K's and my slim waistline!

ENJOY!

Please note: The quantities that I mentioned for the ingredients are approximate but accurate enough to give you an idea of proportion.

12 comments:

FH said...

Hi Sai.I am always thrilled to see your recipes here!Looks and sounds wonderful.I will check out that Vada style too,never heard of that.My kids love any chicken dish.I made Fetuccine Alfredo with chicken and Broccoli today,recipe on the 17th.It was great but not for your slim waist though girlie.Very fatty and tasty this dish,okay if you make once in 3 months!:D

Sugarlips said...

It looks YUM YUM
I will definitely try :)

Stay Beautiful...!!

Sai said...

@Asha: "Vada," if I am not mistaken is essentially regional and confined to "konkan" the coastal belt of Maharashtra.

@Sugarlips: Thanks a lot! Do let me know how it turns out.

karmic said...

Yummy!

Sai said...

Hey Sanjay!
Hope you had a nice weekend. Thanks a lot!

I finally did get over my laziness and did blog the "rassa" recipe.

Lotus Reads said...

Ooooooo, chicken curry! It looks delicious, Sai, I will definitely have to try making it and this time I will make your garam masala, too. When I made the kheema dish, I used store-bought masala.

Thanks very much for sharing your mom's recipe - something tells me I am just going to love making and tasting this curry!

Lotus Reads said...

Oh, and Sai, I don't care about the dumplings either, this curry will be just as wonderful without them I am sure!

Sai said...

@ Lotus: Thanks! Do let me know how the curry turns out.

Dan said...

I'm having lunch with a co-worker today. Now I know exactly where we're going -- to that Indian Restaurant on Route 10!

Thanks! :)

Sai said...

Hey Dan:
I hope you had a wonderful lunch. By the way I seldom eat in Indian restaurants so I am not familiar with Indian restaurants in the area.

Lotus Reads said...

Hi, Sai!

Just wanted to let you know I made the curry and it was DELICIOUS! We usually try to keep cooking simple on a school night, but I just couldn't wait for the weekend to try your curry so we had it last night! I have a picture, too! ;) Thank you so much!

Sai said...

Lotus:
Lol to the picture. Thanks for letting me know how it turned out!