Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Ten Things I love that begin with the letter "K"

I read a cool post on Lotus's blog about the ten things that she loves begining with the letter "B." I loved her post and offered to do one if she were to assign a letter to me. Being a regular reader of my blog and my blogging buddy she assigned the most obvious letter to me. Finally here is my post written after a lot of procrastination. It was rather difficult to come up with ten things that I love starting with the letter K (Gee and I thought it would be quite easy!)

1. *K*
Need I say more...I have blogged quite a bit about him previously. Since he is a very private person it will annoy him if I write more stuff about him. His name means "one who sees beauty in everything" or "one who has beautiful eyes" in Sanskrit. Incidentally before meeting him, his name was (and still is) one of my most favorite Indian names.

2. Knowledge
There is no single definition for knowledge. Merriam-Webster defines it as "the fact or condition of knowing something with familiarity gained through experience or association." I love to learn new things and strive to be very knowledgable in my field.

3. Kamal (Lotus in Indian)
It is one of my favorite flowers. The sight of a lake covered with lotuses is really beautiful. The flower I love the most is "Brahma Kamal," loosely translates as "Lotus of the Gods" a beautiful flower found in the spring time in the Himalayas. It is a sacred flower and is offered at the shrines of Badrinath. The most amazing thing about this flower is that it blooms at high altitudes in the cold weather. In addition, it blooms once in a while for a couple of hours between midnight until dawn.

The above picture was taken in our garden in Pune (which is far away from the Himalayas) seven years ago, when the entire plant bloomed with ten to fifteen flowers at midnight. K and I went crazy taking photos. The fragrance of these flowers is very subtle and soothing. K's mother had got the sapling from the Himalayas years ago and it never bloomed until that night. It surprised me that it bloomed in the tropical climate!

4. Kaleidoscopes
I absolutely love colors and kaleidoscopes fascinated me as a child. I remember my older sister's Physics project in the eight grade, when my mother helped her build a kaleidoscope. They had used shards of glass bangles in different colors. I remember being so fascinated by the myriad patterns created by them.

5. Kathmandu Valley
Kathmandu is the capital city of Nepal. I love the Himalayas and Kathmandu valley is so beautiful surrounded by these magnificent mountains. I love the old heritage sites in the vicinity like Patan, Bhaktapur, Pashupatinath and Swayambhunath Stupa. You can find more information here.

The above picture was taken by K at Bhaktapur, which is famous for its beautiful brick buildings with ornate wooden carvings.

6. Kitchen
Despite being a reluctant cook, I absolutely love kitchens. I love outdoor cooking and my dream home will have an outdoor kitchen with state of the art equipment. I also love to collect cookbooks, much to K's chagrin, as I seldom try out any of the recipes!

7. Kneading
I love kneading flour. It is very therapeutic and I can get all my frustration out on the dough! The positive outcome is I get rid of my stress and the Indian bread that I bake comes out excellent; therefore this exercise is a win-win situation.

8. Keys
Something as innocuous as keys, when you lose them become the most important thing in your life!

9. Kleenex
Since I tend to get emotional and cry for the most inane reasons, these are my best friends!

10. Kisses
Who in the world wouldn't love kisses? (Of course I mean from one's loved ones)

15 comments:

karmic said...

Interesting list. K seems cool, and as private as *A*.

Loved the description about Lotus.
Knowledge.. yup!

Sai said...

Hey Sanjay:
Yes K is a cool guy but is shy and is the exact opposite of me.

That being said, in our relationship contrary to the general appearance, he was the one who did the wooing, patiently for three years though!

FH said...

Aw..!!K sounds like a great guy.
How lucky you are to have visited Nepal.I want to go there too!
Great 10 K's!!:))

karmic said...

As they say beware of the quiet ones. ;)

karmic said...

As per Mona Friday word is "Pitch"

Sai said...

@Asha:
K only sounds great but is not great at all....he is just an average guy...lol!

@Sanjay:
Thanks for the friday word.

About the quiet ones do you remember that expression in marathi "Khaali mundi pataal dhoondi."

Beenzzz said...

What a lovely list. I would really like to visit Kathmandu some day.

Dan said...

What a nice list! Kisses rock! But you don't use the Kleenex to wipe away the kisses, do you? :)

Lotus Reads said...

Sai,thanks so much for playing! You've done an outstanding job with the letter "K". I'm sorry you and Sanjay got such tough letters, but I knew you guys were up to the challenge! :)

I love the meaning of K's name - one who sees beauty in everything - how wonderful that is!

I am in awe of knowledge and the Kamal is my favorite flower too. I don't think I have ever seen a Brahma flower but now I won't rest until I do!

Mmmmmmmmmm and who can resist kisses!

A truly nice list, Sai...I was trying to come up with some K's myself...could only think of Kites, Kilms and Karan Johar (lol, just kidding!)

Sai said...

Hi Beenzz:
Thanks for stopping by! Nepal is a beautiful country. I am sure you will love it.

Hi Dan:
I do use Kleenex to wipe away the kisses and then I wash my face with an anti-bacterial soap and then use an astringent and moisturizer. This is a part of my daily regimen and the secret of my fabulous complexion :-D

Hi Lotus:
I am glad you like the list! I loved Sanjay's post as well.

Well it is obvious Kamal is your favorite flower ;-)The above photograph is of Brahma Kamal that bloomed in my home.

I thought of more K's than ten....Kashmir valley which is another of my favorite places and all the things associated with kashmir....like Pashmina (cashmere) shawls, Kashmiri embroidered sarees, pherans and the most amazing wood furniture produced from that beautiful state!!!

BTW I hate Karan Johar with a passion! I hate his movies and in the few episodes of "Koffee with Karan" that I had seen while visiting home, I hated his typical South Bombay bitchiness.

karmic said...

About the quiet ones do you remember that expression in marathi "Khaali mundi pataal dhoondi."


Heh,,no I have never heard that one.

Lotus Reads said...

Hi again, Sai!

Yes, it's after seeing the picture of the brahma lotus taken in your garden that I have a craving to see it, touch it and inhale its fragrance. It's just beautiful!

Hey, ofcourse, Kashmir, how could that have slipped my mind!?! *hitting my head*

Apparently ( and I say apparently because I don't remember this) we went over to Karan Johar's house (my parents knew his vaguely) when he was a toddler and we played together...lol

Sai said...

Hey Lotus:
Lucky you than me...lol!!! I have a funny story of Karan Johar before he became famous with Kuch Kuch Hota Hain in Goa.

K, his friend A and I had gone to Goa. We had gone to this well known and really trendy restaurant on Baga Beach. We were the only desis and as soon we walked in we saw a huge group of Bombayites (guessed from their affected accents....LOL ;-D). KJ was among them and so was Jugal Hansraj (kid from masoom whom I recognized ;-)) and few others. Our friend has a lot of filmi connections and recognized who the others were....all directors and star's kids.

KJ was the loudest among them. We were placed at the table next to them, which was annoying as they really got on our nerves. We started listening to their inane dumb Bollywood bs.

Since this restaurant was on the beach there were cats and dogs that would come and sit by your chairs. This freaked me out but I kept my composure and asked K and A to shoo them away. There was this one annoying dog who kept coming back and sitting by my chair, which was unnverving me as I am scared of stray dogs. K shooed him away so he ran to KJ's and so did a cat that K shooed away as well.

KJ, like a drama queen, threw a fit and climbed on the chair and started screaming "Oh my God....Mummy....Save me.....please save me." K, his friend, I and few other patrons started laughing.

Our friend A told us, "Oh by the way that is Yash Johar's son." K and I asked our friend "Who the hell is Yash Johar?" The three of us started laughing so hard!!!! THat was the funniest moment ever.

If K and A are reading this....do you guys remember this?

Lotus Reads said...

HILARIOUS, Sai, and yes, that sounds so much like KJ! :)))

Sai said...

Oh btw I forgot to add what was even more funnier. When KJ stood on the chair and started screaming....he reminded me of someone and I couldn't figure out who. I told K that this guy looks so familiar and I cannot place him.

K started laughing and informed me that KJ's looks and affected mannerisms were exactly like the guy I used to date in college (we are still friends as our parents are friends), whom K and my sisters have nicknamed "Sissy fool.".......LOL!