Monday, January 01, 2007

Goals for 2007

I hate the word “New Year resolutions” because that means you will break them as soon as you make them; maybe not as soon but probably a week, a month or at the most three months later. Therefore I don’t make resolutions….the past year I made a resolution to lose five pounds but instead gained 15 lbs. Hence there will be no resolutions for 2007. I will strive this year….not resolve!

The most important thing I will be striving for this year is resilience. I will not let anything get to me. I will understand that things are beyond my control and the universe balances things out and it all works in your favor eventually. In fact the final result is much better than what you had in mind when you planned things and they didn’t go as per your plan! I won’t keep any expectations from anyone and therefore will not feel disappointed or let down by people.

I will strive to be more patient…..well that is one difficult task…..but hey why not? Wait, I will resolve to be more patient, which I think is a more realistic goal.

I started blogging in September 2006. It has been an enjoyable experience so far and it is very addictive. I love the fact that I can write my thoughts in relative anonymity, except for my husband, sister, sister-in-law and my two very dear friends who read my blog yet never comment (oops! my sister-in-law does comment....please forgive me!). I have also met wonderful fellow bloggers, whom I would not have met otherwise. Therefore I hope to continue blogging in 2007 as well and hope to meet more nice people. To the ghost readers out there, please leave me a comment or at least a “Hi” so I know who you are.

Among other things:



I thought I might share this abstract that I did last year….wow it feels rather weird to say that….because it was only a few months ago. It is done on an 16” by 24” Arches hot press paper and of course the medium is water colors. I had resolved in 2005 to start painting again, which I did after seven years. I will therefore not give up painting in 2007. In fact I even want to start oil painting again. I prefer oils to water as it is a very forgiving medium. I have had a lot of "happy accidents" in water colors.

16 comments:

Dr Syndrom said...

I feel you about those new year resolutions, hence I never make them. I have the usual things I want to change but these arise not because of a new year but because the need to change.

Btw, nice drawing!

- Mental Dribble.

karmic said...

Nice painting. I agree with you about resolutions. My take is that I don't make resolutions cos if it's imp enough, why would you wait till a new year to start on them?
Agree about blogging too!

Sai said...

@Dr Syndrom:
Thanks abt the painting.

I do want a lot of things to change and I guess that need for change is more due to maturity and additional life experiences.

@Sanjay:
Thanks abt the painting!

Absolutely agree abt the resolutions....total waste of time...atleast for me. Those who can keep them....more power to them!

BTW made traditional dry coconut chicken (rassa). Too lazy to blog the recipe....but also made the masala at home. Wasn't quite like my mother's but I am getting there!

karmic said...

We made some pork dumplings that I have blogged about before. The rassa sounds good! Freshly made masala' always better!

Lotus Reads said...

Hi, Sai!

HAPPY NEW YEAR to you and K!

Oh, I am a sucker for New Year's resolutions...I make them every year, some I keep, most I break, but it makes me happy to make them and so I do! :) However, I do like that you replaced the verb "resolve" with "strive". I hope it does the trick! ;)

I totally agree with you about the blogging, it's opened a whole new world to me - here's to a lot more blogging, cheers!

p.s. That's a gorgeous painting, Sai!

Sai said...

@Sanjay:
I never developed a taste for pork dumplings. I love pork chops a lot though.

I made this "rassa" after a long time.

@Lotus:
Thanks! Happy New year to you and yours!

Since I have a headache....I am toasting with a hot cup of masala chai....To Blogging! Cheers!

Gee thanks about the painting *blushing*

Dan said...

Sai, that painting is marvelous. Yes, please begin painting once again in 2007. Who knows? The quiet contemplative activity may help you with your other goals of patience and not letting things get to you! I bet it will help!

Happy New Year and you and your family. I'm glad I blog-met you. Love, Dan

Sai said...

Thanks Dan!

I agree painting is a very therapeutic activity.

I am glad to have met you via blog as well.

Wishing you and your family a happy new year as well.

magiceye said...

the catharsis that blogging offers is indeed de-stressing.
your painting is beautiful - like warmth emanating from the core to cheer! lovely!! please keep painting and blogging!!!

Sai said...

@Magic eye:

Thanks for your kind words.

get zapped said...

I found your blog through dan blah... and can relate to your blogging discovery. And I must say, I am happy you will continue to paint. I love your abstraction!

Sai said...

@Getzapped:
Thank you so much for commenting.

I just checked your blog and this is my official "Hi" to a fellow artist and blogger.

Sugarlips said...

New year resolutions?
Just like Lotus I'm a big
sucker for new year resolutions.


Love the abstract :)
I'm so glad to found your blog & I simplya dore it so pls keep blogging, so what if your SIL is not commenting I'll do it 2ice on her bahalf lol.

Lots of love & hugs :)

Stay Beautiful...!!

Sai said...

Thanks Sugarlips!

Lots of love and hugs to you as well.

Lisa Johnson said...

I love this painting! I'm looking forward to seeing more of your art work in 2007! And I also, prefer the idea of "striving" rather than "resolving." It seems so much more forgiving somehow.

Sai said...

Thanks Anali....it does seem forgiving, doesn't it?