Thursday, March 22, 2007

Monsoon in Panchgani


(To maintain anonymity on this blog, I have cropped off my name. This painting belongs to Sai Speak)

I had mentioned in my previous post that I have been cleaning up and organizing my stuff. I found this landscape that I had painted way back in August 1999 in Panchgani, which is a small hill station near Mumbai. This town is a plateau in the Sahyadri mountains that run across the State of Maharashtra. This town runs along the river Krishna. I had painted this early in the morning, using gouache and watercolors. I remember we were staying in a hotel overlooking the river. This was painted on a day when it was raining a lot and the river was very turbulent.

Panchgani is very close to Mahabaleshwar, which is another hill station. Both these small towns were developed by the British and have quaint colonial style architecture. It also has substantial Zorastrian (Parsee) population. This town is famous for their elite boarding schools as well. Speaking of which, one of my father-in-law's friends had their son studying in one of the schools. On this particular visit of ours, the friend was visiting her son as well. We bumped into her by chance and she insisted that we go and see her son and check out his school. K and I made up excuses but she didn't get the hint and literally dragged us to her son's school. The entire time K was grumbling to me about having to meet people and be forced to make small talk and hang out with them. I told him to grin and bear it. But as soon as we reached the school we were totally taken by the beauty of the surroundings. The school is nestled at the end of one mountain range and has the magnificent panoramic view of the mountains. The school had an ampitheatre which took advantage of the natural contours and dropped down to the stage that overlooked into a valley.

Monsoon in Panchgani is relentless. It doesn't rain heavily but there is a constant drizzle and the temperatures go as low as 50F (which is cold given the tropical location!). Anyway so we were at the top of the amphitheater and K wanted to check the view. I told him to not go further because I feared that there might be moss on the steps due to the moisture.

Typical K ignored me and ventured down the steps when he slipped on the moss, went for a toss and went tumbling down the steps. In full view of the principal of the school, our friend, her son and a few of his classmates, K screamed involuntarily "Mother F****!!!!! Oh F***!" The velocity with which he slid down the steps scared the hell out of me and I feared that he might just go over the railing and into the valley. Helplessly I along with the others watched him slide down the steps all the way to the bottom of the amphitheater. Miraculously he pulled himself up with minor bruises and screamed from the bottom of the steps, "Don't worry I am OK." He was fine the only thing bruised was his ego and few scratches on his arm! He was embarassed not only because of his fall but also the fact that he cussed! K rarely cusses and most certainly would watch his language in front of people he doesn't know at all! After ascertaining that he was indeed well I started laughing. I told K that he was concerned about making small talk with his father's friend, but after hearing him cuss and that too in front of her eight year old son, his few classmates and her son's school principal, his father's friend would most certainly not want to socialize with him for a pretty long time!

10 comments:

FH said...

LOL @ the cuss!! Hey!! Emergencies need involuntary cusses!;p

You are a great painter and narrator Sai.It feels like I am in there!!

Lisa Johnson said...

Funny story, but ouch! Poor K!

The painting is beautiful! What is your process? Do you take a picture and paint it later from the picture? From memory?

karmic said...

Lovely painting and funny story. I remember going to a strawberry field belonging to a former colleague of mine, when I visited Panchgani. Your description of the place is very apt.

Sai said...

Hi Asha:
Thanks a lot for your kind words! I look up to you for your culinary skills and your amazing blog.

Hi Anali:
THanks a lot!

This painting was done on location. When I was in India I had lot more leisure than here so I would go and paint on location. In the US, I take photographs and paint it later.

Hi Sanjay:
Thanks a lot!
Yes that place is famous for their strawberries, rasberries and mulberries as well. One of my father's friend had quit his practice and move their with his family. He used to live on a hillock and his home was the only house there. It was a rather cool place.

Fuzzylogic said...

LOL about your adventure at Panchgani!It's indeed a beautiful place,I loved our stay there and indeed it's a painter's and a photographer's paradise. Loved the painting!I also like Mahabaleshwar,too bad I have only visited these only once. Maybe someday I can make a return trip:)

Sugarlips said...

Beautiful painting Sai :)
LOL @ cussing...Sounds like a adventures trip to me ;)


Stay Beautiful..!

Lotus Reads said...

LOL, Sai, sorry but you really had me in splits with your narration of K's fall and his reaction to it...thank goodness he didn't hurt his back!

I remember Mahableshwar and Panchgani so well. Our friends had a cottage in Mahableshwar and my memories consist of picking strawberries, going on picnics and getting up early to do a little bird watching.

Your painting is beautiful....makes me want to head back to those places for a little visit!

Sai said...

Hi Fuzzylogic:
THanks abt the painting
I agree there are lot of places in India that are painter's and photographer's paradise.

Of course Mahabaleshwar is more touristy than Panchgani.

Hi Sugarlips:
THanks abt the painting.
Actually I am not at all the adventurous type. I would never go on a trek or do any rock climbing. I prefer to walk a lot and paint etc.

Sai said...

Hey Lotus:
Yes it is indeed beautiful and I have been going there since my childhood so I have memories associated with my parents, my friends from architecture school and later K.

Sai said...

Hey Sanjay:
Please ignore my typos!