Saturday, March 24, 2007

Movie Review: The Namesake



We went to see the film “The Namesake” this evening. This post is not a review as I don’t claim to be an expert in cinema. I am, however, an admirer of Mira Nair’s work and have seen most of her films. "Salaam Bombay" was the first film of hers that I saw way back in the early nineties, when I was studying architecture, which is based on the street children of my city. Subsequently I saw “Mississippi Masala.” I had absolutely loved her film “Monsoon Wedding,” which was released in 2001. If I am not mistaken, her background is in documentary and her films are faithful to that genre.

I also love Kal Penn who is the main character in this film. The first film that I saw of his, was a small budget film called “American Desi,” where he had a supporting role but really stood out. I also saw his movie, “Harold and Kumar go to White Castle,” which pokes fun at stereotypes. He was hilarious in both the movies and it was very refreshing to see him play a rather intense character in this film.

Moving back to “The Namesake,” this movie is based on Jhumpa Lahiri’s book with the same name. The movie is the story about a Bengali family, the Ganguli family, consisting of Ashoke and Ashima and their two children Gogol and Sonia, and their journey from Calcutta, India to New York and eventually to Boston. Ashoke is played by Irfan Khan and Ashima is played by the incredible Tabu, who is a very talented Indian actress. It spans between the three cities and talks about the conflict of Gogol, played by Kal Penn. Gogol has an identity crises and is trying to find himself. In addition his name “Gogol,” which is given in the honor of the Russian author his father reveres is also the cause of the conflict. There is a story behind it which unfolds as the movie progresses. Gogol dates a Caucasian Manhattan socialite but then eventually marries an Indian-American with the same Bengali heritage. That does not solve his problem either and a family tragedy brings him closer to his roots. The other inter generational conflict is the fact that most expatriate Indians think that their children must marry into their regional and cultural background. Doing that is not necessarily the formula for a happy marriage, which is highlighted by Gogol’s situation. Also the fact that the Indian community is so insular and they socialize only with “their own.” This can be very conflicting for a child who has one life in school and whole other in the parent’s home.

Mira Nair is a sensitive film maker and her films are very poignant and capture intense emotions which are interspersed with such humor. The other thing I have noticed is Mira Nair’s ability to spin her very own special cinematographic magic in her movies. She always shoots on location and paints a very realistic picture of an Indian life. She makes very ugly landscapes and cityscapes look very beautiful. As an artist I see beauty in the old dilapidated buildings, in the crowded streets and in the amalgamation of different cultures that is India so I completely identify with her aesthetic sensibilities.

All I can say is that it was an enjoyable evening and I would definitely recommend this movie to you.

Among Other Things:
There were other things in that movie that I could identify with as Bengali culture is not dissimilar to Maharashtrian culture.

The one thing that I identified the most was with the concept of pet names. Bengalis tend to have two names for their kids, a pet name and a registered name. One of my Bengali classmates had a nickname “Rana” and my friends and I used to mercilessly harass him by calling him “Rana Tigrina,” which is the scientific name of the Indian bullfrog (I know it is not funny at all but it was quite funny at that time. Thank God my sense of humor has matured with age). Gogol is the character's pet name while his registered name is "Nikhil."

My sisters and I have registered names and totally different pet names too. My pet name is rather weird sounding and if translated in America would be considered a "racial slur," when in actuality it is a very common term of endearment in India. Till today my parents, sisters, brother-in-law, and old friends call me by my pet name. Even my 13-year old nephew refuses to call me and my younger sister by the honorific Marathi/Indian term “Mavshi” (which means mother’s sister) and instead calls me by my pet name. For quite some years of my life my pet name overtook my actual registered name and it can be very annoying when acquaintances start calling you by it.

I couldn’t really identify with the need felt by Ashoke and Ashima to hang out with other Bengalis but it is true with a lot of expatriate Maharashtrians as well. When I first moved to New Jersey, my cousin asked me if I joined the “Maharashtra Mandal,” which basically is the cultural group of all Maharashtrians. I said that I did not and he replied that since I don’t have children I might not feel the need. I wondered if it would change when I become a parent but then since K and I never made friends based on ethnicity I don’t think it will ever matter to us.

As an Indian woman who lives in the United States, I couldn’t identify with Ashima perhaps because she belongs to a totally different generation than me. I could however identify with her love for her family in India as I am part of a very close-knit family. Although I live here with my husband and have lived here all by myself as well and despite being well integrated and comfortable with mainstream American society yet I still miss my home and family terribly.

Last but not the least, the character is an architect who gets inspired to study architecture after visiting the Taj Mahal. When I was 13, I visited Agra on a school trip and was completely awe-struck by the architectural splendor of Taj Mahal and Fathepur Sikhri. It sounds very cliched but I attribute my architecture and planning education to that trip!

PS: I also love Bengali sarees and despite being a person who seldom wears sarees I own (K calls it "hoard") quite a few Dhaka, Tangail, Kantha and Baluchari sarees. So I enjoyed looking at all the beautiful sarees as well.

22 comments:

Sugarlips said...

I remember watching all of Mira Nair's movies and yes her films are very poignant and full of emotions along with a touch of humor....I thoroughly enjoyed the movie so did the book almost a year back :)

Have u read her other short stories book "Interpreter of Maladies" ? Its a nice one too!

Stay Beautiful...!

Lisa Johnson said...

I've been hearing a lot about this movie and it's all been very good. I'll definitely be seeing it - either in the theater or on DVD.

MoodsAndColors said...

Hi Sai
A good movie is just a wee bit larger size frame of real life on screen.Namesake is creating ripples in India too. Last week we had Mira Tabu duo in Kofee with Karan show and everyone is talking about the movie.I shall definitely watch the movie myself though I am not a big movie buff.
Aha! The pet names. Babloo and Pappu, Gudiya and Pappi and Kaka and Chotu can be the most embarassing name to a 40 year old who themselves must be a father or mother of Pinkys and Babus.
How Taj Mahal had inspired you is nothing unusual. In fact the first time I saw Taj was just a year after I saw the Eifel Tower and the many other magnificent castles of old Europe. But nothing could match the awe that was invoked by Taj.The Taj experience dwarfed everything else in comaprison.
I guess I talked too much today...:):)

Sai said...

Hey Sugarlips:
Yes I have read "Interpreter of Maladies," few years ago when I was living in Ann Arbor.

Hey Anali:
I think theater makes all the difference.

Hey Anjali:
I am glad Karan Johar had some worthwhile guests on his lame show. I have seen only one episode during one of my India visits which had Kareena and Rani. I couldn't sit through it and shut the TV off.

Lotus Reads said...

Hi, Sai!

Nice to see your blog sporting a lovely new look. Also love your new profile picture, you're beautiful!

I have seen "The Namesake" twice now...once at the TIFF (Toronto International Film Festival) and the other time, a couple of days ago...I enjoyed it immensely both times.

I identified quite a bit with Ashima, especially when it came to the children. I am bringing up two girls here and we have cultural clashes at home all the time. However, I don't think I am as dependent on the desi community as they (Ashima and Ashok) seemed to be...when it comes to our social circle we are a little United Nations, but I will be honest and say that I sometimes look forward to an all-desi event where everyone I meet shares so many common points of reference with me.

There's so much I want to say about this movie and your post has triggered so many more thoughts that I just might have to dedicate a post to it! :)

Loved reading the passage on pet names...I'm a Punjabi and everyone in my family and extended family have pet names too. Infact, in India, I don't think anyone even remembers my birth name anymore! :)

Sai said...

Hey Lotus:
Aw shucks....thanks a lot. you are too kind.

I love Mira Nair's movies and have seen Mississipi Masala, Monsoon Wedding and even Salaam Bombay more than once. I will definitely buy the DVD of this movie.

BTW the personality of the character Ashoke is just like K's; very kind, calm and gentle.

You are right Lotus I don't have kids yet so I wouldn't know. I definitely would want my kids to speak Marathi and have a sense of their Indian identity. During Diwali and Ganesh festival (which is such a ghaati event) I do miss not knowing too many desis.

Please do write your take on this film.

I guess you can identify with the character Gogol regarding pet names as well. Isn't it annoying when you are still known by random people by your pet name? I don't mind my family calling me by it. Thankfully K never addresses me by it.

FH said...

Ooh!! I do have the book and I also saw the snippets of the movie on B4U yseterday and I loved it.I would love to buy the DVD when it's out.Thanks for the review Sai.

karmic said...

I loved your post the new look and profile pic.

I might see this movie next weekend, I wonder how I am going to react to it.

You know I am one of those odd Marathis folks, I don't have a pet name.
I couldn’t really identify with the need felt by Ashoke and Ashima to hang out with other Bengalis but it is true with a lot of expatriate Maharashtrians as well.
I cannot identify with that either, it actually has been that way for me for a long time. But like lotus notes in her comments, it would be nice at times to hang out with some fellow desis, but have been away from that for a while now.

If kids ever enter the equation, I am of the opinion that they should choose their own partner in life and their color/culture and all are really not that important in the sense that they do not have to be like "us".

Sai said...

Hey Asha:
You are welcome!

Hey Sanjay:
THanks abt the post and profile pic as well :)

Kai Sangtos kai? you didn't have a nickname???? Not even Sanju????

Of course I agree with lotus and that especially during festivals one misses not knowing desis.

K and I are of the same view as you that if kids ever enter the equation they would choose their own life partner and neither of us would care abt their partners being like "us."

Beenzzz said...

Hi Sai,
I've been wanting to see this movie! I just read the book a few months ago. I really like Kal Penn and I would like to see him in a serious role, so this should be great!

karmic said...

Kai Sangtos kai? you didn't have a nickname???? Not even Sanju????

yup! Mom used to call me that at times but pretty much no one else did.

Sai said...

Hey Beenzzz:
So nice to see you here. Hope you enjoyed ur trip to India despite the cow-dung ;-)

Yes I like Kal Penn too especially his comic timing. He was so intense and great in this film.

Hi Sanjay:
Well I would say you are lucky that u didn't have a nickname. BTW I know a 50-year old "Pappu"...LOL.

Fuzzylogic said...

This movie has really been in the news lately and I'm curious to see this,I love Mira Nair's movies and also love Kal Penn,so this will be definitly a movie I shall not miss.Love the profile pic and the new look Sai,its beautiful both of them:)
I share the love for Bengali sarees though even I am a horder rather than a wearer:)

Unknown said...

hi saiee,
this afternoon saw the movie Namesake its okay i would say rather hyped may be staying in India we are unable to relate much to this film but the performances of irfan, tabu and kalpenn is commendable.Ofcourse the cultrual scenario in India too is changing.Iam unable to express my emotions after watching this film.Quite confused.

Dan said...

Hi Sai! I love your new blog look and the new profile photo of you! You're beautiful!

I've never been into "Bollywood". In fact, the only such film I ever saw was in Jaipur in 1996. The theater was HUGE, air conditioned (the main attraction) and everybody talked throughout the entire film. At halftime we got hot Indian food in the lobby. It was a great experience!

Sai said...

Hey Fuzzy:
Well join the Hoarders Anonymous club. Out of all the Bengali sarees my heart beats the most for the Dhaka's in pastel colors.

Hi Vishakha:
Well it is a story of a Bengali family living in the United States and unless you experience that displacement it is hard to identify.

I couldn't identify with Ashima and Ashoke myself as I mentioned because they belong to a totally different generation than us.

Sai said...

Hey Dan:
THanks for your kind words!

Can you keep a secret? I am NOT beautiful but just a computer geek who photoshopped to make the profile image look better than it actually is. In reality I look like a nightmare!

Mira Nair is not related to Bollywood at all. She is an adjunct professor of Columbia University's Film Division of the School of Arts. This movie is not your run of the mill Bollywood BS. Bollywood is essentially Hindi films. Indian film industry is quite prolific.

I haven't been to Jaipur but your experience sounds quite interesting.

NainaAshley said...

Hi Sai,

Love the new look of your blog and your profile picture. I myself am still gettng comfortable with blogger.
I'm curious to see this movie though I don't think it is playing in Georgia yet. So I guess I'll have to wait.
As for nicknames, I'm a maharashtrian without a nickname but I know a lot of ghaati people with one. I can totally relate to your not feeling the need to seek out other ghaatis. I have lived here for over 10 years but have visited 'Maharashtra Mandal' only on couple of occasions mainly because my in laws were visiting and they were interested in attending a particular function. Our group of friends is pretty diverse and we don't feel the need to socialize based on language or race.

Dan said...

Sai, sorry, my mistake about Bollywood. Thanks for correcting me. I usually group Indian cinema into Satyajit Ray and everything else. And I label the everything else as Bollywood, which is wrong.

And give me a break about Photoshop! You can only do so much with it. The rest is natural beauty! Yes it is!

Sai said...

Hi NainaAshley:

Thanks for your kind words :-)

Well I am among those ghaatis with a nickname ;-)

Hi Dan:

Satyajit Ray is a known name in the West but there are other filmmakers like Shyam Benegal, Govind Nihalani, Kalpana Lajmi, Amol Palekar and Sai Paranjape who produced very good films. In the seventies and the eighties there was a wave of "parallel cinema" in India which was totally different than the Bollywood "masala" films.

Sugarlips said...

I'm outta town but just popped in to say I love ur new profile pic :)
U look so adorable!

Stay Beautiful...!

Sai said...

Hi Sugarlips:
Thanks a lot!