Monday, March 05, 2007

Nothing Substantial to write about

As I mentioned in yesterday’s post I have started a new job. It is a group of companies with different office locations and I work in one of the branch offices. I must confess that on my first day when they set up my computer and email, I checked to see how many desis were working in that company. Then I found, out of how many of those belonged to Maharashtra. I know it sounds pretty provincial but what the hell….enquiring minds want to know. So I started stereotyping to find what they were doing in that company. I found that all desis, including myself, were pretty much doing geeky things. Maybe there is some truth in painting with a broad brush of generalization. I was also pleased to know that there were other foreigners working and I am assuming it is a pretty diverse place. This was such a contrast to my old job where I was the only Indian and foreigner. I was asked a lot of ridiculous questions, which used to annoy me. Sometimes I would make up things just for fun! I would come home and regale K with anecdotes of all the nonsense I have been telling the ignoramuses at my old work place. He always laughs at my imagination and my ability to poke fun at myself! Anyway that’s all I am going to write about my work place, old as well as new.

Anyway on Saturday I took a train to the City at an unearthly hour, to meet one of my dear friends who was visiting the City. I thought I might peacefully nap the entire time. I was sitting in the second car and was peacefully napping until when the train pulled out of Newark International Airport Station. I was rudely awakened by a male voice yelling in the first car, “Hello….Hello can you please not talk on your cell phone. People are trying to sleep here.” The guy had a distinctive foreign accent, to which ethnic group it belonged shall not be disclosed. He continued yelling, “You are not in your living room but in a train….so please SHUT UP.” We did not know whom he was yelling at because we couldn’t hear the other person on the cell phone. Everyone in our car woke up and started looking around for the errant cell phone user. At that very moment, the woman stopped talking on the cell phone and yelled back in a foreign accent, which also won’t be disclosed, “You don’t own this train and it is a free country.” She continued talking on the cell phone and briskly walked towards our car talking in a foreign language with the guy following her and yelling, “Hello hello…how are you??….ha ha ha….what are you doing at 7AM.” By that time everyone in our car were woken by this ruckus and were looking stunned at the spectacle. The guy chased her out of our car and walked back and sat down on an empty seat right in front of me! I thought the whole situation was so funny and wanted to laugh out loud….but couldn’t as I was scared of the cell phone Nazi sitting in front of me. I thought maybe he doesn’t like people laughing too and might chase me out of the car as well! I am completely annoyed by people talking non-stop on their cell phones but just ignore them than make a fool of myself. Like I mentioned in yesterday’s post….there is never a dull moment in New Jersey!

19 comments:

Beenzzz said...

HAHAHA! Ok, that would have been a hysterical thing to see. It is annoying when people gab on their cell phones all the time. What do they have to talk about? I don't have that much to say? I bet New Jersey is one interesting place to experience!!!

Sai said...

Hi Beenzz:
It was hilarious. I dont understand myself what they have to talk about and that too at an unearthly hour when everyone is napping!

Fuzzylogic said...

First of all congrats on the new job,and I'm glad you found a lot many desis too at the workplace.I agree about how annoying questions can be when you are working as the only foreigner amongst a white crowd!LOL about your train incident,I too hate people who talk nonstop and loudly on their cell phone,its very irritating.The cell phone Nazi guy must have reached his limit too to have snapped that way:)

Sugarlips said...

LOL...I can imagine what you went through cuz I can hide my teeth either if something funny happens and if you have alot of desi's at work you can simply steal their lunches and have a feast everyday on your own ..everyday chicken biryani :p

Stay Beautiful..!

All Is Whole said...

Its natural and its good to found people of your own origin.

Lotus Reads said...

LOL, that's funny! I want to move to New Jersey! ;)

Have missed you Sai, glad you're back.

Cacophoenix said...

congrats on your job. I guess with such a diverse group of people concentrated in NJ, there can never be a dull moment.

FH said...

Glad you are enjoying your long commute!!HeHe!!I like to visit little Indias and don't feel like moving in near one!!:D

MoodsAndColors said...

Hi Sai
Ha ha !That was cool. But I honestly think Sai that its your perception rather than people and things per se that makes them interesting.
People do make interesting spectacle talking on mobile...when a girl is talking in hush hush manner smiling to herself you know it's a boyfriend...when a man shouting annoyingly "yes yes will bring,... will do it" ,you know its the wife...and when a person is listening very attentively with could guess it is his boss!
Wish you all the best in your new job!

Sai said...

Hey Fuzzylogic:
Thanks! Tell me about the annoying questions about India that people ask!!!!

Hey Sugarlips:
Well in my building there are only three desis and they all are vegeterians. So no question of stealing any chicken biryani. I definitely will not steal dal-sabzi ;-)

Hey Prashant:
I don't really seek people from India but definitely notice if there are any in a place.

Sai said...

Hi Lotus:
It is nice to be back! Lotus, I don't think you would like New Jersey. Parts of Jersey are very nice though.

Hi Cacophoenix:
I would agree about the diversity in Joisey and then humorous situations because of that.

Hi Asha:
I don't live or work in a predominantly Indian area so I was pleased to see Indians and other foreigners. I live far from Mini India i.e. Oak tree road in Edison.

Sai said...

Hi Anjali:
You have made some keen observations about cell phone speakers.

THanks for your wishes!

Lisa Johnson said...

Wow that was one crazy train ride! They must be visiting from Boston! : )

Dan said...

I wish there were dull moments in New Jersey! Give me a dull moment already!!!! :)

Cell phones are the work of the devil. (Um ... did I menion that I was a wireless systems engineer. I am very much responsible.)

Sai said...

Hey Anali:
No they sounded like they were from Joisey as they said "Khofee" and not "Walmatt" ;-)

Hey Dan:
I didn't know you were a wireless systems engineer. I thought you were a professional dancer :-D

BTW so nice to see you here.

Lisa Johnson said...

LOL! Well, that solves that one! You are too funny Sai!! : )

NainaAshley said...

Hi Sai,

Its funny that you were woken up by the guy complaining about the cell phone conversation, rather than the conversation itself!

BTW, I recently stumbled upon your blog and I really like it. Having born and brought up in Bombay and currently residing in the US, I can relate to majority of your experiences. Taking inspiration from you and your fellow bloggers, I plan to start posting soon.

karmic said...

Good ole Jersey and ofcourse the cellphone users. :)

Sai said...

@Anali:
Thanks....I try :-)

@NainaAshley:
I know it thought it was funny too.

Thanks for stopping by and for your comments. Do visit again.

@Sanjay:
Yeah....good ole Joisey