Saturday, March 31, 2007

Random Thoughts and a Painting

Last year I picked up painting after a hiatus of six years. I painted very regularly during the entire spring and summer season. I was planning to start oil painting this spring. I can spend hours painting and totally lose myself to that imaginary world. I paint my feelings, anger, frustration and passion. Sometimes I paint my innermost feelings that I cannot articulate in words but it is well articulated in colors and forms. Now those of you who know me are going to start laughing because I talk non-stop, sometimes sense but most of the times nonsense. Anyway I am glad my livelihood doesn’t depend on this because I would have been starving right now. The last painting I did was way back in November of last year.

As I had mentioned earlier I have started a new job and one of the administrative staff member is an accomplished artist. She holds exhibitions and even takes commissions. She has a day job because that offers her a steady income, health and other benefits like 401K. I could go on about health care issues and retirement issues faced by the aging population but then that defeats the purpose of my blog, which is to be irreverent and write inane nonsense. Of course her style of painting is totally different than mine and so are her subjects. I however love her passion for it and the ability to do that ceremoniously every weekend.

Last evening before leaving work she came up to me and asked me if I had done something lately. I told her that I just don’t get into the mood these days and also I don’t have the time. She asked me with an incredulous look that how could I go on without painting? She said that I am wasting my talent by not doing it. I thought about it and realized that out of all my hobbies I have consistently painted. As a child I would paint everyday after I got home from school. My mother had with great affection collected all my work. When I got married, she had given it to my husband who in turn had kept it very carefully in his parent’s home. The infamous 2005 floods in Bombay destroyed all that. I was a little sad then but really didn’t think much about it because I still can paint and the floods did not wipe my ability. Last evening after speaking to the lady at my workplace, I realized that I have taken a lot of things in my life for granted including my art. I always took my parents and my sisters for granted and I realized their value after moving thousands of miles away from them. I have to find time now to paint. I did it last year so why should it change this year. I think it is all about efficient time management. Besides I don’t want to have any regrets later in my life.



I am sharing the above abstract painting that I painted in India several years ago. It was a hot summer day and I was particularly frustrated about a certain situation. I took my colors and randomly painted this piece. At the end of the exercise I was exhausted but my mind was at complete peace.

7 comments:

Beenzzz said...

What a beautiful painting, Sai! You are a very talented artist. I'm glad that your talent is also therapeutic. Drawing and sometimes writing, have always helped me.

Sai said...

Hey Beenzzz:
THanks a lot for your kind words. Yes I am always happy when I paint.

Lisa Johnson said...

I love your painting and I'm glad you'll be doing more of it. Your talent truly is a gift and it's wonderful to see you embracing it!

karmic said...

It is a lovely painting, I am glad you are going back to it and that it gives you peace.

FH said...

Painting is a great therapy for mind and body.Good for you:)) No such luck for me,may be one day when both kids move out!;D

Enjoy the peace.

Lotus Reads said...

Sai, I have always enjoyed your beautiful paintings and your decision to make time to paint on a regular basis is the best news I've heard all day! Way to go! Thank you for sharing yet another wonderful painting with us...you really are talented, you have to find time to keep making those paintings!

Sai said...

Hi Anali, Sanjay, Asha and Lotus:

Thanks a lot guys for your kind words!