Friday, March 09, 2007

Tea

Sanjay mentions “tea” as the Friday word in his blog and has written a lovely poem. I suck at poetry so decided to share an anecdote instead.

I absolutely love tea and once upon a time could drink innumerable cups per day. Those who are from India can identify with the ubiquitous chai-vallas present all over the country. When I joined my architecture program at Sir JJ School of Art, my best friend’s older sister took me under her wing. She took me to the JJ canteen. This place was famous and reminisced by all famous alumni for being the place where they got “inspired.” Anyway it served the most decocted and therefore rather strong masala tea and batatavada with pav. She told me that if my stomach can take that I am ready to face the five years of undergraduate study. I survived that test and spent my five years of architecture eating all the street food in South Bombay. That has worked wonders on my immune system!

JJ’s canteen was run by a very kind gentleman called Laxman who had kids from his village working as chai-vallas. These boys used to go to school at night and work during the day. The architecture building had these two boys, Sitaram and Ramu, bringing in innumerable cups of chai to give us, teetotalers a good caffeine buzz. I for one cannot go without sleep, so survived sleepless nights on hundreds of cups of chai. The vada-pav was so sad and the tea was equally bad yet I got hooked on it. I always used to tease the guys in Hinglish (mixture of Hindi and English), “Arrey Sitaram jara adulterated chai aur vada pav lana,” which translates as please get me some adulterated food from the canteen. Sitaram, barely spoke a word of English but would always give me a beaming smile and say, “Thank you very much Madam,” without even realizing what it meant. Laxman was extremely compassionate with all the students who lived away from home in the hostels. With the rest of us who lived at home he was pretty particular and saw that we paid our chai tabs on time. The kids had photographic memories and would remember how much we owed them and when we ordered what. Despite the fact that we lived with our parents and not in the hostel, we were equally broke as the students living in the hostel.

One year my college hosted the national convention of all architecture schools in India and everyone’s parents came to visit. My parents were not at all interested but I felt so left out. I called them up from school and threw a huge tantrum so they were coerced into attending it! As I showed them around the campus and introduced them to all my classmates, I asked my dad if he wanted to have chai at the canteen. He said “why not” and we walked up to it. At that time I remembered that I had to pay Sitaram and didn’t want my father to know how much I owed. So I told my father, “Never mind, the tea here is rather bad.” At that very moment, cheeky Sitaram ran towards us and asked my father, “Do you want tea?” and ran back with two cups. My dad asked him how much he owed and Sitaram said “Rs. 200.” My father looked at him with a very surprised expression as chai was only Rs 1.25 then. Sitaram then said that I owed them around Rs 200. My dad scolded me as to why I didn’t pay these guys right away. I said that I always paid regularly. So my father asked me that since when was this tab due. I was embarrassed and said that I didn’t remember but the precocious kid Sitaram squealed saying that it was since the previous morning. Then he rattled of how many cups of tea and vada pav I had since the previous morning. My father chuckled and joked that I had an iron stomach to endure all this and not fall sick but my mother gave me one of those looks that makes you want mother earth to open and swallow you! I really wanted to kick myself for even inviting them over. Anyway I learnt my lesson and decided that if my parents don’t want to hang out with me it is just fine by me!

17 comments:

FH said...

HeHe!!! You ate 200 rupees worth of Vada Pav and tea!!!!Those must have been really really tasty girl!!;D
Droooolll!!!!

Cacophoenix said...

Sigh!! Vada pav...What would I give to eat even soggy vada pavs now....SIGH!!!

karmic said...

That is one sweet post. Ahh I miss the endless cups of chai (even those half cups referred to as "cutting") and the vada pavs. Now I try to eat that my stomach won't take it. I am just such a wimp now. :)

Sai said...

@Asha:
No they were not at all tasty!!! THat was the most funniest thing about the entire exercise.

@ Cacophoenix:
LOL I know vada pav is my comfort food. I haven't had that in a very long time.

@Sanjay:
Thanks!!! Of course "cutting" valli chai....I forgot about it...this is so hilarious fellow Mumbaikar!

Do you remember that place outside Dadar Station (Western near Chabildas school) that served great batata vada and sabudana vada? Of course the best batatavada were Karjat station's Divekars.

I also remember that place near Kabutarkhana that had the most delectable Samosas and Jalebi. That is such a deadly combination. AAAHHH AMCHI MUMBAI!!!!!

Sugarlips said...

Chai...Yum...My fav is doodpatti/cutting :) and canteen chai's are just so YUM back home!
It was a sweet post Sai :) Thanx for sharing!

Stay Beautiful..!

Lotus Reads said...

LOL, Sai, your lovely post brings back happy memories of my college canteen, and being a hostelite, I had to eat all my meals there as well! I have fond memories of the waterered-down chai they would serve us every morning and the sabudhana porrige we got for breakfast. When I think back on it now, I am not sure how I ate all that stuff, but we were so hungry all the time that anything they passed off as food tasted like a gift from the food gods! ;)

Fuzzylogic said...

Chai was quitessential for any college life:)College canteens really are a wonderful source for building memories,I agree it was never about the food actually,the food everyone knew it was bad but somehow we always were hooked to it:)vada Pav yum yum.LOL about Sitaram's perseverance to settle your debt with your parents,he sure must have been a treasured employee of his employer:)Your post brought back so many sweet memories:)

magiceye said...

dint you have 'cutting chai'?!

Sai said...

Hey Sugarlips:
I know you love doodpatti cuz I remember Nabeel's and your cute video on how to make doodpatti chai.

Hey Lotus:
Oy to the sad hostel food. Sophia college also is not within walking distance from any eating places. I HATE sabudana porridge....my mother used to give us that when we had upset tummy or were sick. I am such a fussy eater...I don't know if i would have survived in a hostel.

Fuzzylogic:
Yes Chai was quite a essential feature. There are stories around college canteens. I loved vada pav with garlic chutney.

I do wonder what happened to Sitaram. Poor Laxman went into serious debt and a lot of big name artists in India who are JJ alumnis apparently helped him out because they remembered his kindness when they were struggling artists/students.

There was an article about him in the newspapers, which my mom told me about sometime back.

Sai said...

Hey Magic eye:
Cutting chai wouldn't do it for me.

Lotus Reads said...

I keep wondering if the hostel menu at Sophia's has changed any. Hopefully it has...oops and I just discovered I spelt porridge as porrige in my first comment, sheesh!

Lisa Johnson said...

LOL! Great story as usual!

Dan said...

You capture your memories so wonderfully in words.

I never developed a liking for tea. It's always been coffee for me. Probably because that's all my parents drank. And all that I was exposed to. The only time my mom made me tea was when I had a sore throat and was sick. So I've always associated tea with being sick, which is kind of sad.

Shruti said...

Hey Sai that brought back memories of college canteen. Our canteen chap was Dashrath. His bhel used to be yum. Chai wasn't anything to write about but well...can't be choosers. How come all these canteen owners have names from the Ramayan.. a matter for research huh!

Sai said...

Hey Lotus:
For the sake of the poor hostelites I hope it has changed.

Hey Anali:
Thanks a lot

Hi dan:
Hey my mom used to give me black coffee whenever I had diarrhoea. So I used to associate coffee with falling sick.

Hi Shruti:
Most traditional Indians names are from Ramayan, MAhabharat or one of the 1000 names of Vishnu and different names of Shiva or Ganesha. Of course no one calls their kids Duryodhana, Shakuni or Ravana....he he he ....the villians of the two epics.

Unknown said...

my friend ketaki too is an absolute teadrinker.I remember when our kids were in playschool,there was one chai walla whose stall she would hangout every morning at9am coz it would be a hectic activityin the morning to get the kid dressed and reach to school on time,and enjoy a leisurely, a cup of tea the chaiwallah knew exactly the type of decoction with she preferred which even her cook could not get it right.Even today after so many yrs whenever she pases by that place he says namaste and invites her for tea.

Sai said...

Hey V:
I knew that your friend Ketaki loves tea but didn't know this story....Lol this is quite funny.