Saturday, November 25, 2006

Dr. Kotnis

Most Maharashtrians, I am sure, might know who Dr. Kotnis is. He was famous for treating the Chinese soldiers during the 1937-1945 Chinese conflict with Japan. Dwarkanath S Kotnis and four other doctors were sent to China as part of an Indian humanitarian medical mission after China was invaded by Japan. While in China, Dr Kotnis fell in love and married Quo Qinglan - a Chinese nurse who worked with him. Tragically he died in China. Of course this was two decades before Nehru's infamous "Hindi-Chini Bhai Bhai."


This is a Chinese stamp commemorating Dr. Kotnis obtained from wikipedia. I couldn't find the Indian one (1993).

As you know Prime Minister Hu Jintao was visiting India and visited Dr. Kotnis's 85 year old sister. I happened to read the article on BBC's website. You can find the article here. In his honour, stamps have been printed bearing his picture in China and there is a memorial to him in the city of Shijiazhuang in Hebei province, while he is relatively unknown in India. Ironic, isn't it?

Among other things:


This is the movie poster of the film

In fact there was a film made to honor Dr. Kotnis by V Shantaram during the 1940s, where he played the main protagonist and his wife Jayashree played the Chinese nurse. How do I know about this film? Well those of you who are from Bombay and were growing up prior to cable might remember that there used to be a sunday movie. This movie was shown one Sunday evening. I especially remember this movie because of the theatrical overacting, typical of India, by the actors. In fact I also remember regaling my sisters with wicked impressions of Jayashree and Shantaram. You can tell, I was always the irreverant one!

9 comments:

FH said...

Chinese honoring Dr.Kotnis?! That's nice,good for them:)

Wild Reeds said...

You are right Sai, that used to be a DD Sunday staple, Dr. Kotnis ki Amar Kahani. And then speculating feverishly before Samachar, about which side of her head Salma Sultan would place her red rose... aah, the good old DD days...

Sai said...

@ Asha: I think it is nice too.

@Wildreeds: OMG....I totally forgot about Salma Sultan. Yeah I remember her red rose! She read the Hindi news and then Komal GB Singh who read the English news. LOL....good old DD days of Samachar, chhaya geet and magic lamp ;-)

karmic said...

Good post. I remember Dr. Kotnis, maybe read about him at school and yes I have seen the Shantaram movie.
It was overacting as you said but that is how those movies are/were.

I remember Salma Sultan too and I feel so dated...lol

Sai said...

@ LOL...Sanjay Join the club!!! I feel the same way these days.

karmic said...

Oh wait..can you beat this?
I remember Smita Patil from the days when she used to be a news reader on DD.

Sai said...

LOL no I cannot! I don't remember Smita Patil but I do remember Dolly Thakore and Luku Sanyal who read the English news from Bombay DD before DD decided to broadcast news from Delhi.

Lotus Reads said...

Sai, what a fascinating post on a fascinating man, however, I don't remember reading about him in school, although I studied in Mumbai. Guess I wasn't as attentive a student as I thought I was! ;) You've got me curious about Dr. Kotnis now and I will head for the BBC article you linked to as soon as I'm done typing the comment.

Speaking of newsreaders - I remember both Dolly Thakore and Luku Sanyal, there was also a really pretty-looing thing called Minu and ofcourse, Tejeshwar Singh was my favorite! :)

Thanks for a great post!

Sai said...

Hey Lotus:
Thanks for your comments.

I remember Minu and Tejeshwar Singh. I wonder what they all do now.