Thursday, November 02, 2006

Hallelujah!


The above picture is of yours truly, haven't included my face. I figured since it is past Halloween there is no point scaring my readers! Its alright you needn't thank me, for being so considerate.

In my previous posts, I have mentioned the fact that I do enjoy a good glass of wine. Of course I prefer white and blush wines to red. The bottomline, however is that wine is wine, therefore why discriminate based on color? This morning when I started reading this article about the health benefits of resveratrol present in red grapes and wine, I was ecstatic! Till I read the end of the article, which said “even if resveratrol does turn out to be a miracle drug, a wine glass would probably not be the preferred delivery method. According to Kaeberlein, it would take over 300 glasses of wine per day to equal the amount of resveratrol fed to the obese mice in this study.” Now that is certainly not good news for my liver and my expanding girth; therefore note to self: please scratch the plan of including a daily glass of red wine.

Among other things….

I had gone to my car dealer for an oil change this evening. I am currently reading Thomas Friedman’s book, “The World is Flat,” so took it with me to read in the interim. In the waiting area the TV was on full blast and since I was the only person present there, I shut the damn thing off! A smart and attractive woman, who could be in her early to mid forties, walks in a little later. She asked me if I had shut the TV off. I reply half guiltily, “Sorry I did, but you may switch it on if you like.” She said that it didn’t matter to her and it was alright since I was reading. Sighting of such courteous people is a rarity in New Jersey. Now had I met her in Michigan (where I used to live previously and like to go back and visit), I wouldn't be surprised. Then she commented about the book I was reading, as she had listened to the audio version. We started talking and she told me about what she was currently listening on her morning commute. It is an audio version of "The Sonoma Diet" book. According to her this diet is wonderful. Apparently you can lose a dress size in ten days. She told me that it was fantastic and described it in detail. She looked fabulous so I take her word for its effectiveness! I don’t know though if I would have the discipline to follow any diet seriously. Anyway I came home and did a wikipedia search about it, which you can read here.

These days I have stopped stepping on the weighing scale and I don’t dare to look in the mirror when I have my glasses or contact lenses on. With 20/20 vision I look like a nightmare! The only plus point is that I am 5’7.5” tall, therefore I can carry some excess pounds that my desi genes have generously bestowed upon me. The only problem is that these days I feel like I am bursting at the seams. Oh well, right now I will enjoy this chocolate while typing and shall think about my weight issues tomorrow!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL.. funny post. Maybe I should also write my own diet book. I should call it the "minimalist's book of small portions" ;-).

FWIW.. here is my experience. I don't have the frame to put on a lot of weight. I have a bowl of oatmeal/chai in the morning, then a bagel later with coffe. Lunch is fruits/energy bar. Dinner maybe a naan or two with veggies/meat and dessert is a small serving of anything sweet. The exercise helps too, I had a bit of a tough time eating less initially now the body is so used to it I can't eat too much. But I enjoy eating small portions (makes them more precious ;-))
Also everyone has a diff metabolism and other factors too.
But don't dwell on it too much.

Anonymous said...

I heard about the wine study. The research is interesting but the scientist has a stake in a co that will market the drug (when it comes to that). Also no long term studies about any side effects of the compound have not been done. Given the times of instant gratification that we live in, this is perhaps not so surprising.
Remember leptin? It's a compound that helped obese mice/rats (not sure which) lose weight, and was prominent when it cam out more than 5 yrs back. It's not yet a drug that ppl can take.
I prefer the glass of red wine a day approach.. it's cool, it gets me cooking and relaxed and I can feel like an elite wine supping liberal ;-)
BTW nice color on that dress, it's such a change from what we see normally here.

Sai said...

Sanjay:
I usually drink wine on Friday and Saturday evenings. During the week I drink it only if I am very tired or if I had a lousy day because it calms me down and I can relax.

For me it is sedentary lifestlye that is a bummer! During the spring summer months I bike so I don't have weight issues and can binge and won't put on a pound. Its fall and winter that really annoys me because I am not motivated to exercise as much and thats when the weight issue arises.

Thanks...the picture was taken when I visited my family last Feb. Its a tunic, which was worn over white trousers. So you are right, you don't see such bright colors here.

Anonymous said...

I hear ya about the sedentary lifestyle. But I am bit too obsessed with getting my regular exercise, almost to the point of irritating *A*.
A treadmill might be a good idea. We have a bike but after using a good treadmill suring my PT I am kind of sold on that.

Sai said...

That's great that you are obsessed. I have moments of complete obsession followed by lack of initiative...lol.

We have a stationary bike as well. Last winter that's how I managed to keep the pounds off! Of late I have been losing my motivation. I must tell you what my daily regimen is:

Breakfast: Bowl of oatmeal with raisins and almonds and tea (with 1 1/2 tsp sugar....can't help the ghatti in me....sakhar phaijech!)

Lunch: 3 phulkas with veggie/meat and green tea without sugar.

Dinner: Bowl of salad in the summer with fruit. Now I have two phulka with veg (no meat) in the evening as I am famished. I don't eat anything after six or seven PM. If I am famished at 9 or 10 then just a banana or half an apple.

So its exercising as regularly that is getting to me! I must get motivated as I am not going to buy bigger size clothes!

Anonymous said...

It's sounds like a sensible diet :)
As for the clothes .. that's an excuse to reinvent your wardrobe no? ;-) Though you might prefer another excuse.

Sai said...

Lol...I buy clothes and shoes regardless! I just hate buying bigger clothes.