Friday, November 10, 2006

Snooty sales staff and frumpy customers

For the most part I like to be well turned out. By that I mean my eyebrows are always in shape, my hair is always styled not coiffed and I seldom step out without lip gloss, some mascara or kohl/eye shadow and always smell good. I don’t follow the dictates of fashion yet try to have a smart wardrobe with classic peices. Well that is me on weekdays but on weekends I tend to slack a lot. I prefer wearing glasses as opposed to contact lenses, colorless gloss and won’t be caught dead wearing mascara/kohl etc. This is especially true when I am out biking, I don’t want to attract bees and wasps to the sweet scented cosmetics and fragrances that I love.

Anyway I have noticed that whenever I am dressed down, as in sans make up with track pants, I am treated snootily by sales girls in the mall. This is especially true in stores selling cosmetics and make up. They probably talk about me amongst themselves saying, “Eww she is like so like blah….why should I even help her.” “Oh my God Tiffany…did you see her hair.” “Yeah Krista, she needs some serious highlights and needs to do her nails....oh my God she needs a manicure,” etc etc….a la Legally Blonde. Anyway usually it works in my favor because appearances are deceptive and I am a makeup and cosmetic fiend hiding behind the frump and this way I end up buying whatever I need as opposed to buying stuff I don’t need at all!


Case in point being last night when I went to Macy’s because I was craving for some nice MAC lipglass and do enjoy some retail therapy from time to time. Those of you, who haven’t tried them, please do. This is a lazy woman’s solution to lipstick and gloss. Plus it tastes like vanilla, lasts longer than drug store glosses and looks so natural! Anyway I went there in the evening after work so was in my office clothes. I stop by the MAC counter where the ever so zealous sales girls help you. I kind of know what I want but there is this cute looking gay guy at the counter who always talks to me about skin care. I love talking to him and he has the most amazing tips to offer for example,“Girl you shouldn’t forget to exfoliate your hands." He is flamboyantly gay, so he has the stereotypical mannerisms and will touch you, as in your arm and hair, while talking. So anyway I know what shade I want and I tell him what I am looking for. He is an amazing salesgirl because I ended up buying mascara, eye shadow, lipstick and many other items not to mention the lip gloss I originally set out to buy! I am planning to return the others in a little bit as I don’t really need the stuff that I purchased. I am hoping that the guy isn’t there and by the way I am wearing my glasses, old jeans and sweat shirt!

8 comments:

Tee said...

ooh retail therapy. So funny you should blog about make uo.. I had the urge to throw mine which I've had for the longest time. I have my eye set on this global goddess brand that is desi owned but I'm ok with parting with 40 precious dollars :)

I've never noticed the difference in service from when I'm well- dressed but here's something I could try :)

Tee said...

^not ok parting..

Sai said...

I haven't tried the global goddess brand yet. I must check out at Sephora's.

FH said...

I won't step out of my home unless I am clean and dressed well,never without lipstick and that grape tasting lipgloss sometimes!:))

I don't like frumpies , dislike people who smell bad. But that being said, I also hate people who are painted up to the teeth.

There is a diff betn clean,simple makeup and paint.Specially in the south, you know that war paint and big hair?! Eww...

I bet you are cute in your glasses and jeans too, never mind that Queen Sai, go rule :D

Sai said...

Asha:

You are the sweetest! Thanks

karmic said...

As long as one is not frumpy and overly made up I am aok. Your post reminded me of this cute passenger on my train. She wears almost no make up has this sweet smile. A bright point on my commute. :)

Sai said...

@ Sanjay:
Lol if I am not mistaken, I remember you blogging about her sometime back.

karmic said...

No this is a different one. She has no make up that I can tell. :)