Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Methi Parathas



I had blogged earlier that we are avoiding meat these days. Instead of going cold turkey we are taking baby steps. When I say meat I do not include fish in that because neither of us can ever give up fish! To rephrase the above statement we are avoiding red-meat and limiting chicken to every other week. Besides there is only so much chicken one can eat; therefore for an interesting meal, I am digging into the wealth of amazing vegetarian recipes that Indian cuisine offers. In my humble opinion, apart from Indian cuisine no other cuisine in the world can offer so many tasty vegetarian dishes!

This evening I was craving for some nice Methi (fenugreek leaves) parathas. I don't care about Methi preparations in general but absolutely love METHI PARATHAS!

Ingredients:

Wheat Flour 3 Cups
Gram Flour (Besan) 1 ½ Cup
Fresh Methi (Fenugreek) leaves washed & dried 1 bunch
Kasuri Methi (dried fenugreek leaves), crushed ½ cup
Fresh Cilantro finely chopped ½ cup
Cumin and Corriander powder (ground Dhania Jeera) 1 tsp
Carom powder (Ajwain) 1 tsp
Turmeric 1 tsp
Red Chilli powder (Paprika) 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil (you can use olive oil) 1 tsp
1 cup Yogurt for mixing

Method:

Mix the wheat and gram flour. Finely chop the fenugreek leaves and mix it with fresh cilantro and kasuri methi. Add this mixture to the mixed flour. Add the cumin and coriander powder, carom powder, turmeric, salt to the flour as well. Spread the oil to the above and add a little yogurt (do not add all the yogurt. I estimated about one cup but you might not need all of it). Care should be taken to avoid the above mixture to become completely watery and sticky hence the tip to add just a little and then some more if need arises. Keep on kneading till the dough is soft and consistent. The softness should be just enough so that you can roll the parathas. Let it stand for at least an hour.

Rub some oil on your hands and knead it once more before dividing the dough into small golf size balls. Dip it in rice flour and roll evenly into 6” diameter circles. Care should be taken so that it does not stick. Rice flour makes the parathas rather fluffy. Heat an iron skillet and add few drops of oil. Roast the paratha on one side and turn it over. At this time add a few drops of oil to the side. Roast on both the sides, till you see brown specks. Serve with cucumber and yogurt raita. This is a mixture of yogurt, finely chopped cucumber and tad bit of mint chutney for flavor.

6 comments:

karmic said...

Yum! We usually don't have time to make them so get them from the desi store. As you said we eat them with yogurt and some spicy pickle on the side.

Sai said...

Most of the times we get them from the store as well but they are so oily. I had some time last evening and was bored so thought of making them. I have used very little oil. My husband had with with "lasanche chatni" and yogurt.

karmic said...

Yum @ lasanachi chatni. We have some too that A's folks made at home and we brought it over from our last visit. Yogurt and that makes for an interesting dip.

Vini K said...

Hello Sai,first time here.Absolutely love Methi parathas.So much so,when I moved to London and did not find any fresh methi nearby,I soaked some kasoori methi in water for 2 hours,then used it for methi parathas.I just got some fresh methi today,so I will be making your recpe tonight!Thanks for the recipe.

Sai said...

@ Sanjay: I agree! My folks, like A's, send a lot of food stuff for me. I even got "Bhajani" last time, which I froze. I get stuff and freeze it.

@ Vini K: Thanks for stopping by. When I lived in Michigan, I had tried that with Kasoori methi. It doesn't quite cut it. Since I currently live in New Jersey, which has substantial desi population, it is easier to get typical Indian produce. Bon Appetit!

Ashu said...

Hi Sai, prepared this for dinner today. Turned out absolutely delicious. Thanks for the recipe! :)