Saturday, November 18, 2006

Go Blue!


This was taken this morning at the computer

I am not a football fan. In fact I really don't care much about sports in general. I am however a Michigan alumna and love to wear my Michigan sweatshirt, T-shirt, and other paraphernalia. My boss who is a football fan has been reminding me the entire week about the game with Ohio State this evening! No matter what I feel about sports in general, my loyalty lies towards the Wolverines. So anyway this morning I went to the post office to finally mail my cousin’s painting. The temperature was 45F and I was wearing my Michigan sweatshirt. So anyway I wait in the long line of people who are posting parcels of various sizes. So after the long wait I am finally called to the counter. So I hand in my parcel and a packet of special stamps, supporting Breast cancer research, to the guy. This guy looks at me and says I hope you know these stamps cost $9 and not the usual $7.80. I said yes I know and I have bought them for a reason. So then I pay up the total by credit card.


Before you think I am crazy, let me clarify that this photo was taken in the summer and not this morning!

My credit card has the Michigan insignia (the M in blue and gold) and a “Go Blue” on it. So the guy looks at it and says, “Oh so you are a Michigan fan.” I just smile and don’t respond. Then he says, “The big game with Ohio State…..your team will lose.” I almost wanted to ask him if he was a soothsayer. Then he looks at my sweatshirt and says, “Wow you are a big fan.” I said, "Well I am an alumna so I wear this regardless." The woman standing next to me suddenly yelled “GO BUCKS” and then said “Your team is going to lose.” I am thinking to myself that I am in Jersey and not in Ohio, why the hell does she care? If I were in Ohio, would I be beaten up by zealous fans for proudly wearing my blue sweatshirt with MICHIGAN written in gold letters?

PS: I am not going to watch the game tonight but I know for sure that I will be screening my calls as my husband’s aunt and her husband, who are proud OSU alumni, always call up to rub it in when their team wins!

4 comments:

karmic said...

Heh funny. Now you know crazy sports fans are. The funny thinng about our friend "D" is he roots for Ohio state cos he is from Ohio. He actually went to Michigan so he is a Michigan alumni, go figure that one.
We are keen football fans but I did not have a dog int he fight so to say. But "D" was calling his cousins in NC during the game. It was close though, but not as close as it could have been.

Sai said...

LOL I had a classmate who did his undergrad in OSU and was from Cleveland. Therefore he always rooted for OSU. I cannot stand such traitors ;-)

FH said...

Hello beautiful Sai,
I know! Crazy fans are everywhere!They really take it all SOOO seriously that it's almost ridiculous! They get rude and rowdy too.You should see those British Football hooligans.
Anyway, go Panthers:D:D

Happy Thanksgiving:)

Sai said...

Hi Asha:
Happy Thanksgiving to you as well. I just left a comment on your blog.