Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Voyeurism?

I happened to read this article online at the Hindustan times website and thought I would comment on it on my blog. My comments are in itallics. If anyone is interested the article can be found here. To my non-Indian, non-desi if you will, readers Abhishek Bachchan and Aishwarya Rai are two Bollywood actors rumored to be dating.

What's cooking Ash-Abhishek?
Princy Jain
New Delhi, November 29, 2006

What's up, Ash? The whole world is dying to know whether Abhishek Bachchan and Aishwarya Rai are tying the knot or not. With the two making a joint appearance in Varanasi, rumours have come out thick and fast from the holy town.

Who all constitute the whole world that is interested in Ash-Abhi's personal life? The poor people in India struggling to survive, the Al-Qaeda? Tell me, Dear Reporter, who are all these people? If any one is interested then they need to get a life...Seriously!!!

The official version of the trip has been what the head priest of the Kashi Vishwanath temple, Chandramouli Upadhaya, has maintained: "It was a naugrah shanti puja which the Bachchans perform every time they come to Kashi."

Shreedhar Pandey, another priest who was involved in the puja, added: "There was no mention of Aishwarya or Abhishek's kundlis." That is the official version but the grapevine has something else. A source close to the family, who doesn't wish to be named, says, "Due to the bad health of Amitabh's mother, Teji Bachchan, the family is looking at an early marriage. So, to ward off the mangal dosh in Aishwarya's kundli, this puja was performed."

So the point of the article is to let us know that the said parties are superstitious. Well that is no surprise as most Bollywood destinies are made or broken on Fridays! I must admit that this article is a fine example of investigative journalism *rolling eyes*.

The speculation gained ground with the way the visit was organised — the clan had made a kitchen-door entry in Taj Ganga, Varanasi.

Well who would blame them? Despite all this secrecy these guys have been snooping on them. Oh my God! One cannot even be superstitious on one's own time and in complete privacy. If this isn't invasion of privacy then what is?

While to add more fuel to the burning gossip mills, the latest buzz is that the Bachchans bought 11 Banarasi saris of different hues during their stay in Varanasi. Now, for whom and why looks like anybody's guess!

What are you trying to say? Abhishek Bachchan is a cross-dresser who loves Banarasi saris??

Well, these are, after all, rumours and one must not forget that the two have a film together due for release — Guru.

Dear Reporter, why is this newsworthy? Is it because you had a deadline and didn't have anything better to submit or you just love prying into personal lives of celebrities. For me this was readworthy because it is my lunch hour and I needed to take a break, unwind by making fun of you!

I couldn't help but notice the difference. Hollywood reporters speculate about romances when they see stars canoodling or adopting an African baby together. In India you see a Bollywood family go with another actress to pray at the Kashi Vishwanath temple in Varanasi and that is a sure sign of romance. I better stop before I choke on my food! My dear readers I promise I will write something far more important in my next post. This afternoon I just wanted to be irreverant!

17 comments:

karmic said...

Your comments are funny. Now that I know about Ash-Abhi my day and I feel more complete.

karmic said...

I also left a loooong comment about Friedman on your Terri Gross post.

Sai said...

About this post:
LOL I am in a silly mood this afternoon.

About Friedman:
I know...I replied to it. I really have to get back to work so will respond again this evening.

Shruti said...

Sai that was a good post.... my thought exactly... what do I care if Ash and Abhi are together or seeing ten other ppl but praying at the temple together.... many of the journalists (dont know whether to call them that) just want to fill columns and this is easier... plus for ash and abhi it's free publicity... and in their biz ...any publicity is good publicity.. this might have been one article but in the mumbai times today they have actually been interviewing ppl on the road for their comments... when this exercise was done to ask who was the judge for the 93 mumbai blasts case... ppl were not aware!!!

Sai said...

Thanks Shruti for stopping by and for your comments.

magiceye said...

Superb analysis of the news indeed!

This is the advent of Papparazzi...a phenomenon just blooming in India..in its infancy still...born just a couple of years back. Now with the information boom or rather the media boom that has spawned innumerable news channels and newspapers this
diarrhoea will have to be expected!
Your sense of humor will help you through the torture, hopefully!

Sai said...

Thanks magiceye for your comments.

A beauty queen turned "actress" and a son of a legendary actor are having a scene and there is a media circus around this. It is absolutely ridiculous!

FH said...

WHO CARES!!!!!!

Ash is a opportunist and plastic.Gettin' old too, so she probably will marry the Bacchha!

OH WELL!!!!

Tee said...

Funny.. I just posted about this.. NDTV is all over it.

Sai said...

@ Asha: Apparently the paparazzi cares!

@Tamanna: I will check your post.

Lotus Reads said...

Sorry I'm late with my comment! I can't believe this item was all over the news and that too on respected networks like CNN/IBM, Headline News and so on. Headline News went so far as to have a psychic on the show to do a reading of the couple's relationship - according to her, Abhishek really love Aish, but she doesn't care for him. She predicts that if they marry there will be problems later on. I cannot believe I actually sat there and listened to her! :)

Lotus Reads said...

Ok, that was supposed to read CNN/IBN! I may not know much, but I do know my news networks! ;)

Sai said...

@ Hey Lotus Reads:

Are you serious??? I cannot believe this nonsense. LOL I listen too but only to make fun later ;-)

Sugarlips said...

It was a fun post to read :)

I agree with Asha...Ash is a opportunist..she is TOO fake BUT I like Abhishek :)

Stay Beautiful...!!

FYI said...

Hey Sai...

I am princy jain... and it's my report you read and discussed. Well after almost two years of the day I made this speculation, the two are now blissfuly married. Hence goes to say... what I thought then. Many thanks for your views anyways.

Sai said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sai said...

Hi Princy,

Thanks for your comment. It has been almost three years since I wrote this particular blog post.

My post was not challenging the veracity of the article or you in general. It was just a humorous take about the situation. My comments were certainly not intended to be offensive to you at all but just my thoughts about the media hoopla over these two individuals. I hope you did not take offense to it.