Friday, December 01, 2006

Friday Word: Candy

I read this blog regularly and today's post mentioned about using the friday word "candy." Candy, when I hear or read that word, it makes me happy. It is comfort food for adults as well as children. I think it links us to our childhood and through candy we hold on to our childhood and the child in us. It is so essential to retain some idealism in the otherwise cynical world of an adult. I have found some information about etymology of the word "candy" and other information, which can be found here.

I have two childhood memories that are so vivid and significant regarding the same. When I was in kindergarten I really hated school! I was more absent from school than attending it. I loved studying and my mother would teach me at home. We had a class picnic and my father drove me to school because I invariably used to miss the school bus! I used to do that on purpose. My dad gave me this piece of hard candy and told me that the picnic will be fun and I shall have a wonderful time with my classmates. I was all excited and chewing on the candy when he pulled into the school where all the kids were assembled to leave. As soon as I saw my school principal, Sister Marcia, I threw a huge tantrum. Her habit used to scare the hell out of me. I was not sure at four if she were a male or a female and that ambiguity scared me. Anyway I caused a fracas and accidentally swallowed the hard candy, which got stuck in my throat and that made me cry even more! My father could not bear to see me cry so decided to take me back home, much to the chagrin of Sister Marcia. Therefore, that is one memory that I associate with hard candy. Had it been my mother instead of my father, all she needed to do was give me one hard look and I would just have kept quiet!

My parents and their friends would go on annual vacations to Mahabaleshwar with their respective families. That is one childhood memory I associate with candyfloss! My parents were pretty strict about eating from roadside vendors. Mahabaleshwar however was an exception. We would eat that and roasted corn by the beautiful verdant Venna lake.

As a child I was obsessed with colors and forms. I used to watch the street vendors selling candyfloss and the entire exercise would have my rapt attention. Also the color change of the sugar crystals from the gaudy pink to the most beautiful pinkish hue would never cease to amaze me.

Last year I attended the Indo-American festival at the Hindu Temple in Bridgewater, NJ. Among other snacks there was this vendor selling “Buddi ka Baal” (candy floss in Hindi). I insisted on eating it and the fact that I was the only adult doing this didn't bother me one bit. I savored every morsel, which brought back wonderful memories of my childhood.

16 comments:

FH said...

Wonderful memories of your childhood:)

Buddi ka Baal..LOL

My summers were spent climbing the trees and plucking raw mangoes ,Oranges and guavas in my grandfather's coffee plantation:)

My kids?! On their backsides playing Video games!!

karmic said...

Lovely post. I have several memories associated with candy too. And thanks for the link.

Candy consumption was strictly regulated. So the bites of the rare Ravalgaon hard candy bought from Damjibahi (the local store)
are fondly recalled.

So is the dream where I dreamt that I got a single piece of gems candy in my palm. In my dream I close my hand and I also woke up at the same time to realize that I had indeed closed my hand for real too. This dream is my earliest I recall.

Sai said...

@Asha:
Coffee Plantations...wow that's wonderful. One of my father's closest friends from college had a coffee plantation in the south. My parents had visited them a few times and had told me wonderful stories about their vacations there.

@Sanjay:
Ravalgaon....thank you!!!I couldn't remember the name of that brand of candy. I still remember the taste though. Yup in my home too...candy consumption was strictly regulated!!!! I thank God for all the good eating habits instilled by my mother. In my thirties I am reverting to all those values :-)

karmic said...

I remember the packaging and taste.. simple basic stuff... and a simple pleasure.

You don't look to be in your 30s fromt he pics I have seen so far. Rock on!

Dan said...

Hi Sai! Great candy memories, huh?

Bridgewater is only a few miles from me. Small world.

Never lose your inner child. Adults are way too serious. You were the only person eating the candy in Bridgewater which meant that you were the only sane adult!

Good for you!

Sai said...

Sanjay:
Gee thanks *blushing*....the wonders of photoshop!

Dan:
It is indeed a small world! Joisey is a small state though :-)

Unknown said...

This brings back a lot of memories Sai.
The brown ravalgaon used to be my favourite. Does anyone remember "extra strong"? It was (may still be) mint flavored, also an orange colored bean shaped candy which for some reason always used to be sold loose.

Funny story re. the nuns, we had priests in school I can't ever forget one who would slap students who didnt do well (weird incentive). Our class teacher used to call him to give out report cards in primary school. I'm pretty sure he was a nut job, one of my class mates wet his pants when he raised his hand while attempting to slap him, poor guy.
I tried the "choke on candy trick" too, unfortunately didn't work in my case. ;)

Sai said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sai said...

Kunal:

Thanks for commenting. Poor kids! I feel so bad for them. I guess girls always had it easier than guys. We never were hit in school just humiliated by the nuns ;-)

Tee said...

candy .. I love candy.. I used to love the khati meeti golis from the pan ki dukaan. I miss those.

Now, it's gummy bears :) Cool post.

magiceye said...

Aah candy floss...takes me back to the tine when it was the treat at Bandra fair along with roasted hot black channa!
Thanks for jiggling the memory!

Sai said...

@Tamanna:
Thanks! Ahh Khatti meethi golis! I loved it too. I loved masala paan too of course with shredded betel nut!

@ Magiceye:
The aroma of roasted black channa. I absolutely loved the Mahabaleshwar black Channa.

Sniff Sniff...I am so homesick right now!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sai,

Great blog! I found it after reading a comment you wrote on Lotus Reads' blog. I started reading your posts and I couldn't stop, love your style of writing! :)

And yes, candy is one indulgence I also indulge in from to time as it brings back so many childhood memories for me too. My grandfather used to stuff his pockets with candy and treat us from time to time!

You have gained another commenter on your lovely blog!

Sai said...

@Sasgirl:

Thank you so much for stopping by and for your kind words!

Grandparents are such a wonderful institution. Those of us, who have known our grand parents, are indeed blessed!

Do visit and do comment to let me know.

Lotus Reads said...

"Sweet" post, Sai :) Buddhi ka Baal brings back fond memories for me, too. Yup that shocking pink dye they used for the candy floss was really something wasn't it? That's what I love so much about India - everything is so much more colourful, even the food!

Sai said...

Thanks Lotus....I love the rich, vibrant colors of India as well.