Thursday, February 15, 2007

Bloggers Anonymous!

Contrary to what the words might suggest, I do not know of any support group that deals with blogging addicts. Anyway my personality is not addictive (famous last words! ;-)). I have been posting on this blog for almost five months. Still except my husband, two sisters and two friends, no one knows about my blog. I just realized that it might change anytime. The other day I blogged about my name but then I would like to believe that I have still maintained anonymity because my name is not uncommon in my part of the world. The initial reason for anonymity was because of some reticence on my part. I wasn’t sure who would be reading and what response I would get. My experience so far has been that I have met very interesting bloggers and whose blogs I love to visit as well.

The other day I was reminded of the most important reason for my anonymity. One of my friends called up to chat after a very long time. We hadn’t spoken to each other close to six months. So while talking I happened to casually mention that I blog. It was one of those moments when you are not thinking and words slip out of your mouth. The first thing this person said, “Don’t you think it might work against your favor if your employer found out that you blog.” My response was that my blog is very harmless; I avoid talking about my work, work related politics or anything that might offend anyone. Mostly I try to write humorous posts and poke fun at myself and K. So then he said, “Why didn’t you let me know about your blog?” That is the time I realized that it was a matter of trust to me. The few people that I have told about my blog are the ones whom I love very dearly and whom I trust implicitly! Of course the above-mentioned friend is a very nice person but I didn’t want him to accidentally mention this to anyone else.

My discomfort is due to the fact that one of my other classmates used to stalk people online. Let us call him “OS.” OS had (still has) a very bad habit of “googling” people’s names and getting information about them. I couldn’t believe how easily one’s personal information is available online. My friend spoke to OS, who informed him that one of my other classmates will be having a baby soon. Now OS didn’t find out this information like how normal people would but instead by regularly stalking our classmate online. We have an online forum for people from my field, which enables people to network with professionals from North America as well as other parts of the world. There is a section where you can talk about personal stuff too. I asked my friend if OS still stalks people. My friend started laughing and said that old habits die hard. I thought it was very creepy because it is more than four years since getting our graduate degrees but OS is still interested in finding out what others are doing….people that he wasn’t even friends with! It is so voyeuristic. Giving the URL of my blog to OS would be comparable to undressing by the window....with the light switched on and the blinds not drawn!

18 comments:

pencil thief said...

interesting.
i totally agree with the being anonymous thing, i'm one of those people. my reasons are a little different, but it all adds up to the same thing right...?

like your blog. :)

Lotus Reads said...

Hi, Sai!

When I first started blogging I didn't tell anyone, not even my sister, about my blog. At that time I was so high on the anonymity that a blog can provide that I didn't want to share it with anyone I knew. A couple of months later, I told the whole family but after a few visits they stopped dropping by (as you know it's a book blog and it was too dry for them, lol). I've only just started sharing pictures and other details about myself and family on the blog, so let's see if my family comes back to visit! :)

And gosh, I think I know a couple of OS's too...fingers crossed they never visit my blog! lol

Happy Friday, Sai...you going to do a post on the Friday word?

I'll be back to check.

magiceye said...

hmm....takes all kinds...even some that we could do without lol!
but i think a guy who wants to get the info will get it regardless... thats global shrinkage driving people to the 'shrinks'!

karmic said...

I remember OS from a past post of yours. Creepy indeed.

I dont blog about work at all either. I am actually quite happy where I work and an issues I might have are best dealt professionally instead here.

Actually a lot of people know I blog andthey are mostly friends.
My family would be completely horrified to see how much I have changed.

Not all of my friends comment, there are at least 3 Delaware bloggers who I have met at drinking liberally events and a bunch from Eshaton (which I read for my politics fix). Some of these folks have also met the mysterious *A* :)

Sai said...

Hi Numb.lock
Thanks for visiting. Whatever your reasons maybe for anonymity....it does provide some security.

Hi Lotus:
It is funny I first told my older sis about my blog. Sometimes she even comments. I have put in childhood photos or my paintings....still shy to put my current photos. Oh well that is also sharing something personal though!

I am not sure so much about the friday word. Cannot think of anything right now.

Sai said...

Hey Magiceye:
I agree with you about ppl getting info no matter that is one of reasons for relative anonymity.

Hey Sanjay:
Yeah I remember mentioning OS on one of your posts. He is quite a creep!

It is funny that it is quite the opposite with me, my parents and sisters know about my blog. My parents read printouts *rolling eyes* as they are still resisting computers!

FH said...

He is creepy!!Hope he stays out of mine,I got kids faces in there!Thanks for letting me know about this.Of course,that still doesn't make me hide as long as he is just having some fun collecting all these not doing anything illegal!

Sai said...

Hey Asha:
I am sure OS won't stalk strangers online! Just his classmates or people he knows. He is not a criminal....just an idiot!

Best wishes for Mahashivratri to you!

Beenzzz said...

I haven't been very anonymous about my blog. My family members know and so do a few friends. I I don't readily tell people about it. I just hope I don't get some nut job cyber stalk me!!!!

MoodsAndColors said...

Hi Sai
Was bloghopping and reach yours. Your simplicity and a touch of humour is so engrossing. I simply couldn't resist reading a whole lot of your experiences. :):)
http://20six.co.uk/moodsandcolors

Fuzzylogic said...

I can understand such stalkers can be real pain.I don't blog about my work either and except for a very few close friends and hubby no one knows about the blog.I stopped going to a socializing site because of one such creepy classmate too.It's still a virtual world and you never know what kind of people can stumble on your blog anytime.It's good to safe than sorry.Have a great weekend Sai!

Sai said...

Hi Beenz:
Yes I can totally understand about that fear of some nut job stalking....but that is the risk all of us take. I am hoping that out of the million blogs....it might take a while for them to reach ours ;-)

Hi Anjali:
Thanks for stopping by! Is that link of your blog? I will definitely check it out.

Hi Fuzzylogic:
Yes I don't access socializing sites for the same reason as well.
Enjoy your weekend as well.

Sugarlips said...

Crazy guy I hope he won't bother you :) but I can understand these stalkers could create so many porblems for nothing!

Stay Beautiful...!!

Sai said...

Hi Sugarlips:

Thanks! No I don't think he would bother me because he doesnt know the url of my blog :D

Dan said...

I sympathize with wanting to remain anonymous. A while ago I found out that my boss at work reads my blog! I think I may have given her the URL a long time ago and forgot about it. Because of that, I have to watch what I say about work!

Sai said...

Hey Dan:
your blog is very humorous so I am sure your boss must be enjoying it but I do know what you mean. I guess Bill (if I have name right) at work might have stopped bragging about his kid making to the honor roll in the office restrooms ;-)

Lisa Johnson said...

I was pretty anonymous first, but not so much anymore. I told a lot of people that I blog, but most of my friends and family don't read it regularly. Once I was having dinner with some friends and they asked something that I had just blogged about, so I knew they weren't reading!! : )

Sai said...

Hey Anali:
I noticed that about you as well with that celebrity quiz. Btw I took it as well but still too shy to post it on my blog. Mine is as funny as yours!