Saturday, February 17, 2007

Public Toilets

I have an absolute disdain for public toilets and try to avoid them as much as possible. I keep imagining that people who might have used the space before me might have all these various diseases, which I might contract. I know it’s the hypochondriac in me talking! Maybe it has got to do with my growing years in India. Everyone knows that public toilets in India are not the best. Of course that is applicable more in rural areas than in cities or urban centers. Anyway due to that I never leave my home for work until all my business is taken care of. There is no way I will be caught dead using my office toilet! My bathroom is a place of tranquility and meditation. I have candles, paintings that are effective on bowel movements (I am just making this up!) and magazines to read. I also have my radio set to NPR. So all in all, the atmosphere is conducive to….err …morning ablutions.

K and I used to take a lot of road trips in India and several times I have made K check the men’s room so that I could use them in lieu of women’s restrooms. This idiosyncrasy of mine amuses K to no end. I think since men have an option of a stall or a urinal and basically most men are lazy and are exhibitionists (oops I have alienated all my male readers including my spouse), they seldom use the stalls; therefore those are pretty clean. I found this out years ago when my friends and I had to do a study of a rural hospital for one of our class projects in architecture school. It was located in a remote village, which had a substantial adivasi (tribal) population. My friends and I left early in the morning in one of my friend’s car. En route we found that the ladies toilets were really disgusting but the guys in our group informed us that the stalls in the men’s room were very clean. That for me was an important piece of information, which I never forgot!

Anyway I happened to read this post on Dan’s blog two weeks ago, where he has wrote about proper etiquette in men’s restrooms. Those rules don’t apply to women (women have their own set of rules as specified in the companion post, which is linked from Dan's post) as they have their own stalls and can do their business in total privacy. His post reminded me about a funny incident that took place at my work sometime back. I walked into my office’s restroom. As always it took me few minutes to put in sheets of toilet paper over the seat protection sheet (again it’s the hypochondriac in me) and just as I was about to go on with what I sought to do, I heard someone in the next stall groan, “Oh my God…Jesus….Oh my…Aah…Oh God.” At that very moment I also heard a distinct buzzing sound. I froze and thought to myself that although the stalls offer privacy it is still a public space.

I rushed out of the stall in total disgust and found to my great relief, one of my coworkers brushing her teeth with a spin brush (hence the buzzing sound). She looked at me and whispered, “Who the hell is groaning in the next stall?” At that very moment the door to the stall opened and we found a woman walk out with her eyes glued to the floor and groaning “Oh my God….Jesus….” and a few other incoherent words. She didn't make eye contact with us and walked past us without even glancing in our direction. We didn’t know who she was but later found out that she was a new employee who is a complete whack job! She is extremely strange and walks around the building with her eyes glued to the floor and talks to herself. She could be a character in one of SNL’s sketches or even have her own show on Comedy Central. I told my coworker what I had suspected and we both could not stop laughing!

16 comments:

Lisa Johnson said...

I get really grossed out by public restrooms too. I think it's partly a Virgo thing.

One time I was in the bathroom at work and this woman comes in talking on her cell phone and goes into the stall and keeps talking through the whole thing.

I don't even know how she did it! She didn't have a headset, so she had to hold her phone!

Fuzzylogic said...

I share your disdain to public bathrooms,I'm paranoid as well.I guess it's parly because of being exposed to the rotten conditions of ladies bathrooms in India.I didn't know about the men's toilet tip:)maybe next time I'm in India I will remember this,might just help me out in dire circumstances:)
Your babbling coworker seems like a weirdo.Isn't workplace interesting,you get to meet people who lot many times make me feel glad to be normal:)

Sai said...

Hi Anali:
Yes it is definitely a Virgo thing! I hate women who talk on cellphone. Infact I had once even said "Hi" back to a woman who said "Hi" to someone on the cellphone. I was so embarassed!!!!

Hi Fuzzylogic:
Welcome to my world of paranoia! Oh my discovery of men's toilet was serendipitous!

Oh God that woman is so weird. Remember that weird character Molly Shannon played in one Seinfeld episode as Elaine's coworker who ran without swinging her arms....this woman reminds me of her!

Shruti said...

hi sai..that was hilarious about your co-worker. ditto...am too grossed with the public toilets...def a virgo thing.

Sai said...

LOL Shruti....I agree it is a virgo thing!

Lotus Reads said...

LOL, Sai, I'm not Virgo but I share your disdain for public toilets! Usually I'm an 8 glasses-of-water-a-day girl, but on days I know I'm going to be out all day, I shun the water for fear of using public toilets, they truly gross me out!

Love the story of your coworker! I visited your blog earlier this morning but could not comment for lack of time. Truly enjoyed this post! :)

FH said...

LOL @ Jesus in the toilet!What a waste to remember him at the wrong places?;P

Well..women's restrooms are the worst.Do you know, to avoid sitting on the commode,they HOVER like UFOs when they are peeing!!! GOD ,that's what disgusts me. and even more so when they don't flush bcos they don't want touch the flusher!!!

Sai said...

hi Lotus:
The disdain for toilets is universal....my two sisters....one a cancerian and the other piscean are as finicky as me. My hypochondria is typical Virgo ;-)

I always tell my hubby our eastern way of greeting whether it be namaste or the Japanese nodding....is so much better than the western shaking hands....don't know where they have been last....ewwww!!!!!

Hi asha:
My office loo has this sign "If you must sprinkle while you tinkle be a dear and wipe the seat so that is clean for next user." I laughed so much the first time I read it....I wanted to add another note below it, "Seat protection have a purpose so let them serve their purpose."

karmic said...

I don't like public restrooms either but sometimes there really is not much of a choice.
Funny story that of your coworker.

Sai said...

Hi Sanjay:
Yeah I guess.....getting over paranoia is a more feasible option than a burst bladder!

LOL yeah my coworker is quite a hoot!

Sugarlips said...

Hahahaha...Sai I also share your disdain for public washrooms :) There are so many places where toilet seat covers are not available so I do the same using toilet rolls but since I got the UTI few yrs back and my doctor scolded me to death when I told her about not using the public washrooms I'm not as strict as I used to be now... Two years back I visited a friend back in Pakistan...she was living in a hostel and unfortunaltely I had to use the washroom...when I went in and what I saw written on the wall facing me made me laugh so much lol it said "Apnay kiye karaye par pani phair kar jaen" lolsss!

Stay Beautiful...!!

Sai said...

OMG Sugarlips...This is so hilarious. I remember in school in Hindi class we had to use the idiom "Kiye Karaye par paani pherna" in a sentence, which of course was always used as a double entendre!

Beenzzz said...

Ok, HAHAHHAHAHAH! I would have thought the same thing too! What a hilarious story!
As for public restrooms, yes they are gross. Even if they appear clena, I often wonder what used to be on the seat and door latch. GROSS! I haven't experienced the public restroom in India before, but I am going there for the first time in 3 weeks. Thanks for the heads up. Any suggestions???

Sai said...

Hey Beenzzz:

Enjoy your trip to India. Public toilets in urban areas aren't that bad. That being said I would avoid them as far as possible.

Which part of the country would you be visting? If it your first trip to India then I do hope you enjoy your experience. Now is a decent time weatherwise to visit. April and May are so hot!

Beenzzz said...

Thanks Sai! I have been asking dear Lotus questions on India as well. She's been very helpful!
We are going to New Dehli, Agra, Varanasi, Lucknow...and a small village called Kotwara. It's a service learning trip through the University here. We will be spending five days in Kotwara teaching at a school, but the rest of the time touring. Though I am Indian, I was not born in India. I am excited to see it for the first time.

Sai said...

Hi Beenzz:

Hey I know Kotwara....that is filmmaker Muzzafar Ali's, of Umrao Jaan with Rekha fame, erstwhile kingdom.

Those are nice places to visit on your first trip to India!

I absolutely love Lucknowi embroidery. Their salwar kameez were my staple during the summer when I lived in India. The craftsmanship is so elegant!