Friday, February 09, 2007

Media Circus over a tragic death and a Bentley!

I know this post is one day late but then I was really tired last night and didn't have the energy to write so here is my post. Thank God I am not a journalist or else I wouldn't have lasted in that profession!

Last afternoon our secretary announced that Anna Nicole Smith had died. For a moment I couldn’t place her, so I asked “Anna who?” But my two male coworkers had a shocked look on their faces and said, “Wow really…..didn’t her son die recently?” My heartfelt sympathies to her family and loved ones but yesterday there was this non-stop media coverage over her death on CNN, MSNBC etc…I don’t watch other channels like Fox but I am assuming it must be the same everywhere…which was a bit much. I don’t know what Anna Nicole Smith’s claim to fame was except the legal battle for her late octogenarian oil tycoon husband’s wealth, whom she married when she was 26. Of course love is blind and knows no age….so I don’t care what you skeptics might say….it definitely must have been love and not at all wealth as Marshall family has been accusing her of (*rolling eyes*). Anyway I am saddened by her passing as she is survived by her infant daughter, who perhaps might be used as a pawn by other greedy “well-wishers” for their own selfish interests. Again they might not be interested in the prospective wealth the child might inherit….they might be just interested in the wellbeing of the child! I am just being cynical to insinuate greed.

Anyway I thought last night that there was enough intrusion in her life and decided to find out what was happening in my own country. I discover there is more intrusion with the controversy over a legendary Indian superstar presenting his son a Bentley on his birthday. His friend who is a politician claimed that the car belonged to him and not the actor and that he had bought with his own money. As a politician shouldn’t he be accountable as to what is his source of income and how could be afford to buy such an expensive car for his “personal use whenever he is in Mumbai.” I was curious as to what his source of income was and read on his website that he is an industrialist by profession. No further comments!

I cannot understand this intrusion of media in lives of “celebrities.” Do other people really care what is happening in these people’s lives that much? There are far more pressing issues that need to be reported than non-stop coverage of a “celebrity’s” death (although tragic) when there are war casualties (far more tragic). Do I really care who the father of Anna Nicole Smith’s baby is or when Abhishek and Aishwarya will get married? Those who care that much and lap up entertainment news need to get a life….SERIOUSLY!!!!

13 comments:

FH said...

I feel sorry for her.She had to strip to get out of the Trailer in Texas she was living in and this is America!!I don't blame her and I know she was heartbroken bcos of son's death.Unfortunately,a baby is left behind to face this horrible world.Hope she goes to her real father.

Lotus Reads said...

Couldn't agree more, Sai. If I hear or see one more snippet on the "Three Men and a Baby" story in the media, I am going to scream! Sure, I feel sorry for her and the baby she left behind, but like you say, there are other more important topics we need to cover!

Sai said...

Hi Asha:
I absolutely agree with you. I am not judging her at all. The topless dancer bit was her way to get a better life for herself and her son. I don't want to comment on the other things that she did. I feel really bad for her baby though. I hope that innocent life gets some solid paternal influence in her life!

Sai said...

Hi lotus:

How horrible it must be to have all these men claiming to sire the baby? I feel so bad for the child!

Dan said...

I care what's going on in the lives of family and friends.

Since I had heard of Anna Nichole Smith, I am sad to see her die at such a young age, after such a short, tragic life.

But that would be true of anyone I heard of ... celebrity or not. I have no special love for celebrities.

Sugarlips said...

Her death is very tragic and I agree with you media is making it horrendous :( I feel bad for the little one...someone recently forward me an email Ash and Abhishek in Bentley lol Goshhh there are far better things we can do in spare time besides thinking what Ash and Abhi are up to.

Stay Beautiful...!!

Lisa Johnson said...

Her life was sad and so is her death. I feel very badly for the baby daughter. The whole thing is a mess. I must admit we were all talking about it at work, also we had some interest because of the legal issues involved.

When it comes right down to it though, I think there is a lot of interest in celebrities lives, because information on them is so readily available to us. But also, I think that people are just naturally curious about other people in general. I'm interested in all sorts of peoples' lives. I mean the whole blogging thing, I think we are all interested in each other's lives.

Sai said...

Hi Dan:
Yes I care about what is going on in the lives of family and friends too. I don't intrude too much in their lives because I don't like anyone intruding in mine (except of course my siblings and parents....with them I am following every last detail).

Sai said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sai said...

Hey Sugarlips:
I am so sick and tired of Aishwarya and Abhishek! Of course not to mention Amitabh with his stupid interviews about how "gharelu" Ash is etc etc. This is so regressive, makes me sick.

Sai said...

Hi Anali:
Yes I agree that her life was sad and it is indeed sad for her baby. It is OK to discuss and show interest from a legal perspective and I can totally understand that.

I took an exception to the media coverage as if it was something of national importance thats all.

About blogging I agree with you and do think it is nice to read about what is happening in other peoples lives or their anecdotes or childhood memories but we don't include too personal and embarrasing details. It is like having conversations with your friends except here we don't know each other and just interact through our blogs!

Pink said...

Hi Sai,

Was intrigued when I saw your name over at Dan's

Sai is my guru - Sai Baba of Shirdi that is - the original, unplugged.

I think that people's fascination with the train wreck that is so many celebrities lives stems from their own unlived dreams. If the celebrity we watch on television is miserable, then it makes failure to achieve much in life that much more palatable.

just a theory...

Sai said...

Hi Rev. Sumangali Tania Pink:
Thanks for commenting. Perhaps I should write a post as to why my blogger name is Sai.

We have one thing in common. Shirdi Sai baba....the original and not the poser who claims to be his reincarnation.....is the Guru of my mother and her family too. My mother has staunch faith in him and takes me to his matha in my town whenever I visit home.

I don't follow him but my husband's guru Shri Raghavendra Swami of Mantralayam who espoused Dvaita Philosohy.