Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Movie Night

I saw the movie “Queen” this evening. It is an entertaining film. The movie begins with the election of Tony Blair and is based around Diana’s demise almost ten years ago. It is a rather satirical take on a tragic event. I must say Helen Mirren was outstanding in her portrayal of the Queen. She humanizes the monarch as a person with feelings, trapped in the antiquated traditions of British monarchy with a sense of duty over personal feelings. Prince Philip is portrayed as a complete moron, which might be true. The premise is that the hysteria that surrounded Diana’s death shook the monarchy from its royal stupor and made them loosen the stiff upper lip so to speak.

K and I decided on an impulse to go and see the movie. We caught the 9:30 PM show at the mall. I was craving for an ice cream but since the mall closes at 9PM, I couldn’t satisfy my craving. K suggested that we go to Barnes and Noble bookstore in the mall and have an iced green tea instead. My experience has been that whenever I order it, they invariably screw it up! I always meet a daft person who doesn’t know how to make it. Predictably this is just what happened. When I explained to her how it is made (I have observed others make it and have asked questions), the woman gives me a sheepish grin and says that her customers know how to make stuff than her! I resisted saying to her, “It’s just tea honey, not rocket science.” Better sense prevailed and I gave her a beatific smile instead of sarcasm. By the way I am seriously thinking of quitting my current job and taking up a job as chai latte trainer in Starbucks.

Finally she gets us our chai and we set off towards the theatre, which is at the other end. Since it was a week night we didn’t expect a lot of people but were very nervous to realize that we were the only ones! Initially we nervously glanced over our shoulders towards the exit but were soon at ease. The fun part was we could put our feet over the next row and comfortably watch the movie and talk loudly without anyone shushing us! That made the experience even more enjoyable.

17 comments:

karmic said...

Saw this movie a while back, although I don't quite agree with you that this was a satirical look at the tragic events following Diana's death.

It almost seems quasi-documentary like, but thats me, everyone has a diferent take on it I guess.

I liked the movie mostly for Helen Mirren, she is an amazing actress.
I did think the plotline was rather thin, but then the movie revolved around this one event.
To me Helen Mirren was the only reason I could sit through the movie.

I have never quite shared the fascination that a lot of people have for the royals.

Go easy on the poor folks at B & N and Starbucks will ya? :)

Shruti said...

Haven't seen the movie..but seems interesting...i know what u mean about ppl screwing the chai...i too want my tea just so... so i will sympathise with you...no use wasting your sarcasm when u know that it wouldn't be understood at all... no fun then huh :D

Sai said...

Hey Sanjay:

I don't care about the royals as well and quite agree with you.

I looked at it as a satire because there was so much mass hysteria and the royals were so far removed from the reality and changing times; I found such irony in this situation that the PM had to tell the monarch what her people would want!

Hey I was easy on the Starbucks gals....I smiled and kept my thoughts to myself :-D

Sai said...

Hey Shruti:
Yes sometimes it is such a waste to waste good sarcastic comments to an audience who doesnt get it :D :D

FH said...

When I order Ice coffee at B&N,they put 80% ice and a 20% coffee!!It's so stupid and for 4 bucks too!!Now,I make my own at home now in Summer.
I haven't seen that movie but they will bring it on HBO in a short while anyway.I love Helen Mirren,I used to watch all the detective series she used to do in UK.

Cacophoenix said...

Well, I do understand the starbucks thing. I just make mine at home these days. It is easier and lord knows less stressful on my caffeine craving nerves.

The fascination isn't just with royals, it is with all celebrities. It is pure insanity to dedicate the time and resources we do just to hear the right things from people. I thought the Queen showed how human people even with crowns on their head really are.

karmic said...

Sai, I see your point. :)

Lotus Reads said...

Hey Sai!

"Queen" is a movie I have been wanting to see especially because Helen Mirren has been lauded by the critics for her superb acting! I also want to go see "Last King of Scotland", "Little Children" and "Notes on a Scandal" but when, when, when?

So cool that you and K had the theatre to yourselves! :)

Are you going to be tuning in to the Oscars? I think I will.

Sai said...

Hi Asha:
THe movie is worth the watch for Helen Mirren.

Hi Cacophoenix:
Yes I do agree that the movie showed that these were ordinary people with extraordinary destinies by virtue of their birth!

Hi Sanjay:
Thanks :-)

Hi Lotus:
K wanted to see "Last King of Scotland" which we might over the weekend.

I thought it was cool that we had the theatre to ourselves too. Of course initially we were nervous. I might tune in to the Oscars.

Beenzzz said...

I want to see this movie. It sounds very intriguing! Isn't it funny how they don't really train their Starbucks people? Sometimes I will get a good chai and sometimes it tastes like dishwater. Not that I drink dishwater. :))

Sai said...

Hi Beenzzz:
LOL I was just going to ask you....how does dishwater taste? ;-
)...I do understand what you mean.

Dan said...

By the way I am seriously thinking of quitting my current job and taking up a job as chai latte trainer in Starbucks.

Maybe it could be in the one over here in Madison! They could use some learning!

Sai said...

Hey Dan:
If you put in a good word for me then it could be possible to work in the one in Madison. I guess they all could use some learning!

Fuzzylogic said...

Having a theatre for yourselves would have been something I would have loved,great you got to enjoy the movie that way!I never order CIce tea at starbucks or anywhere else,it just doesn't taste the way I would want and each time it has a different taste which most of the times is hard on my palatal senses:)But I have a problem,I can't be rude,I might express my displeasure in a milder way but I can't put it all out directly.Most of the times I let my expressions do the talking:) Have been wanting to catch on this movie,waiting for the DVD to hit the store.I simply admire Helen Mirren!

Sai said...

Hi Fuzzylogic:
Yes I am glad too that we had the theatre to ourselves.

I cannot be rude too unless someone is plain obnoxious, even then I am more sarcastic than rude.

Unknown said...

hi, saw the promos of the movie The Queen was planing to see as soon as it is released in India. Thursday H and me went for a paid preview of the movie Nisshaabd and we were nishaabd after watching it. May be it did not appeal to me as a parent of a teenager, Mr bachhan is too good of an actor the new comer Jiah Khan too acts very well, but may be 10-15yrs back i could have thought it cool about the romance of an 60yr old with an 18yr old ,a friend of your daughter.After watching the movie we drove home in silence.

Sai said...

Dear V:

Well as the aunt of your teenage kid I can totally emphathize with you and H. Today I would be "nishaabdha" as well with this concept. I had heard about this movie and might see it as well.

All I can say is that as we are getting older we are turning into our mother.....our waistlines are getting wider and our minds are getting narrower!