Sunday, February 11, 2007

Why Sai?

A fellow blogger left a comment on my previous post saying that she was intrigued by my name “Sai," which reminded her of Sai Baba, who is her guru. I thought to myself that ever since I have started blogging I have never had an introductory post about me and my name, so here is the post albeit five months late!

Sai is not my real name. It is one of the many nicknames that my father had for me as a child. It is pronounced as “Saee,” as opposed to the Sai in Sai Baba which is pronounced as “Saaee.” My name is rather long. I am named after a historical figure whose tragic love story is famous in India. She was a princess in love with her father’s enemy, who was a king as well. Those who are not familiar with India; ancient India wasn’t cohesive and consisted of many kingdoms that were at war with each other. The princess, against her father’s wishes eloped with her lover. He was so besotted by her charm that he neglected his kingdom and in the bargain was attacked. He lost his kingdom to his enemy, who captured and blinded him! The story ends with the captured blind king killing his enemy with an arrow, which he accurately aimed at the direction of the sound of his conqueror’s voice. All my readers from the Indian subcontinent might have guessed my name by now. If not, shame on you for napping during history class!

I have been teased a lot about my name in school. The typical ones would be to not call me by my actual name but "P" the name of my namesake’s lover/husband. For e.g. girls in my school would say “Hi P” instead of “Hi S” or “Hey S, where is your P?” When I was in the ninth or tenth grade, I attended special coaching classes, which tutored in Math and Science. This was a staple of all geeky kids in Bombay, who harbored ambitions to get into engineering or medical schools. I wasn’t cool then but just another awkward teenager with big hair, buck teeth and glasses. My two sisters never went through an awkward phase like me; they were cute kids who blossomed into beautiful ladies totally bypassing the awkward stage! So I always looked very ugly in their comparison. Of course both of them were very kind and never teased me.

Anyway so I used to ride my bicycle to the coaching classes. We were three girls who rode bicycles as opposed to majority of the boys in our class. So we had to fight with the guys for a place on the bike rack and were constantly at the receiving end of their harmless boyish pranks. Also every time I walked past, a group of guys would scream in unison, “Hey S where is your P? Can I be your P?” At that age it can be very embarrassing and also very annoying. I was very tall for my age and was a total tomboy. I would walk past them completely ignoring them. One day, however I lost it….of course at that time I didn’t know but now I do…. the time when you get angrier than usual is called PMS! I was walking past them minding my own business when one of the guys in that group blocked my path and asked me “Hey S where is your P? Can I be your P” I completely lost it and grabbed the guy, who was three inches shorter to me and very thin, by his collar and venomously hissed “What did you just ask me?” The other guys looked completely shocked and this guy was shaking from head to toe. Then I left his collar and walked on, but he was so shocked by my reaction that he lost his balance and fell on his posterior! At that moment everyone (including me) in our group started laughing. From that day on none of the guys ever made eye contact with me or even called my name!

Years later K introduced me to his extended family on his mother’s birthday. On meeting me his aunt teased, “Hey S….so is K your P?” Of course at that time I didn’t grab the end of her saree but just smiled and said “Yes I think so.”

16 comments:

Cacophoenix said...

hehe....hehee..Gosh That is a funny story. I kinda understand what you went through. My name appears in quite a few movie songs. So I could always hear full throated crowings from romeos. It was totally embarrasing espicially once when I was walking with my dept head.

karmic said...

lol.. I enjoyed reading this. Note to self.. don't ever piss this woman off :)

If not, shame on you for napping during history class!

Yup that would be me! are you talking about Prithviraj something? I know I suck! :)

FH said...

AHA!! Dear Samyukta!!!!Yeah,where is your Prithviraj and who is this K?!;D

I have a Amar Chitra Katha of P and Trisha calls him sissy boy for abondoning or losing his throne for a "girl"!

You distracted P and let our country go to the dogs(ie Moghuls)!!!:D

Arrgghhh!!!!No V'day for you Saaee!!!!!(no soup for you either as in Seinfeld!)

Sai said...

@Cacophoenix:

Hmm....I am so curious as to what your name might be. LOL I can totally empathize with you!!!

@Sanjay:
LOL....I am sure your comment "Note to self.. don't ever piss this woman off :)" is going to make K laugh a lot!!!!

Sai said...

@Asha:
Blaming Samyukta was so wrong...it is such a chauvinistic approach....blaming the woman for a man's incompetence! ;-)

Oh btw Amar Chitra Katha took me to my childhood. They are amazing....my sisters and I had the entire collection.

Hey I don't care about V day but I definitely care about the soup from the soup nazi's kitchen :-D

Unknown said...

hi, sai,
i think this is one of the most hillarious blog u have ever written. i remeber this particular guy would never even board the same local train to go to college if he happen to spot u.
vishakha

Sai said...

Hi V:
LOL...really...I vaguely remember this local train story. Do you know who it was? Just email me the name. I do remember shattering egoes of a lot of my male classmates though!

Hey did I ever tell you the above story?

Beenzzz said...

The story of your name is a wonderful one. I am so glad that you grabbed that little beast by his collar and scared him to death. HAHAHA! I bet they had nothing but fear and respect for you from that day forward!
I went through the awkward stage too. It lasted from 8-13 years old.

Fuzzylogic said...

Lol,I think that guy totally had it coming:)By the way I never liked much of my history classes but hey I immediately knew the name!But this was perhaps not the history class but those lovely amar chitra kathas I used to read well hidden inside the history books:)I can imagine how much you would have gotten teased due to the name.About the awkward phase yes I was there too,thankfully that passed quickly!Loved the post Saeee:)

Sai said...

Hey Beenzz:
Ahh so you do know about the awkward phase! Mine lasted from probably from 8 to about 17.....long time!

A lot of people who saw me with my sisters would comment, "Oh you look different. They look pretty alike." That was a polite way of saying "Oh you are the ugly one!"

Sai said...

Hey Fuzzylogic:
I used to absolutely love Amar Chitra Katha. I associate summers with Amar Chitra Katha and lots of mangoes....absolutely no connection directly but two important aspects of the two and half months of freedom from school and the stupid nuns!!!!

Lotus Reads said...

Loved your post Sai and the story of your namesake. I don't recall the story of Samyukta (beautiful name, btw) and Prithviraj but it is a touching one indeed!

And lol@beating up that guy - he and his friends must have been in shock for a long,long time! :)

Oh, how I loved those Amar Chitra Kathas as a child...I bought a whole lot last year when I was in India. My kids love them too!

Sai said...

Hi Lotus:

Thanks a lot! Samyukta is a nice name but I got teased a lot in school.

Yeah those guys were in for a big shock. I must say one mustn't mess with a PMSing girl or woman!!!!LOL

Unknown said...

hi sai,
that guys name was raja(krp's) brother and his friend's name i think is chaitanya who later on was studying medicine.even its donkey yrs but after reading the blog my memory was refreshed and i still remember how we had enjoyed that little victory.vishakha

Sugarlips said...

Hehehehe such a fun post and the namesake story :)
I have no clue about S and P ;)

Stay Beautiful..!!

Sai said...

Hey V:
OMG sis....you have a terrific memory!!! Of course I remember the name and how the three of us had laughed when I came home in a fit of rage and told you both what happened!!!!

Hi Sugarlips:
Thanks! It is a very popular story in India.