Saturday, February 24, 2007

"Family Matters" by Rohinton Mistry


For the past few days I have been reading Rohinton Mistry’s book “Family Matters,” which was published in 2002. The book is based in Mumbai in the nineties and is a story of a seventy-nine year old Parsee widower who is suffering from Parkinson’s disease. One evening he suffers a fall and is incapacitated due to it. He is living with his two step children who cannot bear the burden of taking care of him. They therefore callously dump him in their half-sister’s matchbox apartment in the city. Although sad the author has written with wry humor and the language is exquisite.

Those who don’t know, Parsees are Iranians who fled religious persecution and sought refuge in India in the 7th Century AD. They escaped to preserve their Zorastrian religious traditions and entered the subcontinent through the western coast of Gujarat. They enjoyed religious tolerance in India for many centuries and prospered under the British rule. They are called Parsees because they spoke “Farsi,” which is the spoken language in Iran. My alma mater, Sir J.J. School of Art was started in 1857 with the benevolence of a Parsee philanthropist Jamsetjee Jeejeebhoy. The author belongs to the Parsee community as well.

Zorastrians worship fire as they believe that the energy of the creator is represented by fire or sun. The Parsees are very orthodox and a non-Parsee cannot enter their fire-temples. As a child I was so fascinated by the fire temples and used to ask my Parsee friends to describe the interior of the temple. Having grown up in the city and exposed to Parsee culture, especially their food, this novel appealed to me on more levels than one. While reading the book I imagined the scent of sandalwood, the frankincense burnt in the evening, the aroma of dhansak and patiyo, the rustling of beautiful silk gara sarees worn during their weddings and navjote.

The main protagonist, the aging Parsee widower, had fallen for a non-Parsee woman in his youth. She was of a different faith therefore their romance was met with strict opposition. What follows is a tragic sequence of events, which are started by the religious bigotry and unrequited love! This begs the question as to whether it is worth preserving traditions at the cost of ruining so many lives.

The romance in the novel reminded me of the story of one of my classmates from India. She belongs to the Parsee community and fell in love with a guy who belonged to an equally orthodox Hindu Brahmin community. Of course all through their college years in India they totally hid their romance from their parents. The guy came to the United States to study in one of the Ivy Leagues and soon after made plans for my friend to join him. She came to the United States on a student visa and they both started living together. The news reached her orthodox family who threw a fit. Her grandmother called her up and said “Stop this nonsense and come home right this very instant.” Armed with defiance and courage, a product of the geographical distance and being in love she told her grandmother, “You must be out of your mind.” So the grandmother started emotionally blackmailing her telling her that her actions have caused her heart trouble and many other ailments. My friend was completely defiant!

Her boyfriend (now husband) proposed marriage to her a couple of times but she preferred living with him only to spite her family. Finally they got married, more from an immigration perspective than societal norms, which wasn’t attended by any member of their respective families. Eventually both the families were embarrassed by their bigotry and had a wedding reception in India for my friend and her husband. Of course today everything is hunky dory with both the families but my friend and her husband don’t miss a chance to poke fun at their families!

28 comments:

magiceye said...

the parsis are a fun loving community and now there is rebel liberal group whcih has started an agiary (fire temple) in north mumbai where even the non parsis married to paris can visit. the orthodoxy is being dented on another front by some of them wanting to be cremated rather than being placed in the 'tower of silence' (a place where dead bodies are kept for the vultures to consume). so slowly the gentile fun loving parsee is changing...

FH said...

Parsis still believe in outcasting the ppl who marry non-parsis?! Sad isn't it?
After all these years of living in India,they still do not want to assimilate with a society which gave them a second chance at life!!
At least one family re-conciled and happy.Good for them!

Sai said...

Hi Magic eye:
I am aware of this agiary for children of mixed marriages. I am sure however if that is applicable to children of a Parsee mother and non-Parsee father.

I do know the preference of being cremated as opposed to the dongerwadi. K's father's friend passed on a few years ago and was cremated.

Sai said...

Hi Asha:
I don't think they have not assimilated in the Indian culture. A lot of their rituals have Indian elements of it.

I have heard a story of them seeking asylum and the Hindu King being concerned that they will convert all the people and prosleytize. The person assures the king that they will live and assimilate like sugar in milk. I am not srue if it is just a tale or if there is an element of truth in it.

To be fair, Hindus were/still are pretty orthodox about inter-religious marriages as well. It has definitely been a part of the subcontinent culture!

karmic said...

Loved your post. Have had several Parsi friends so, I can identify with all the things you talk about.
Yes and you are right, traditions do cut both ways.
Had a friend a Kashmiri Hindu who married a Parsi guy.They lived near Princeton the last time I spoke to them. Her family was opposed to it, but have reconciled since.
He is the only son, I know his dad had Parkinson's and has sadly passed away.

MoodsAndColors said...

Hi Sai
(That rhymes so well :))
We do not have many Parsis in Delhi. I guess most of the Parsees are concentrated in western India.
Minorities are always shrouded with insecurity. Not loosing their socio-cultural identity remains a major concern. Maybe thats why they shun inter caste marriages.
Very interesting read.
And yes moodsandcolors is my blog...you are always welcome there.

Lisa Johnson said...

Great post Sai! The books sounds really interesting and I like how you wove your own experience into your review. I'm glad that everything with your friend worked out. It reminds me of Romeo and Juliet, but with a happy ending.

Lotus Reads said...

Lovely review,Sai! I absolutely adore Rohinton Mistry, but I haven't read this book yet. The Parsi community is a fascinating one...I worked with plenty and yes, they can be quite rigid when it comes to marrying outside of the community. I hadn't heard of this rebel liberal group referred to by magic eye, but yes, I have heard they are being forced to opt for cremations because of a paucity of vultures in the "dakhmas"

Like Anali said, I like how you wove your own personal experiences into the review, it made for lovely reading.

Sai said...

Hi Sanjay:

My friends were of the same ethnic group as yours but different genders! This is so coincidental. I think in most cases the societal pressures are more on women than men!

Sai said...

Hi Anjali:
Among Parsees it is not so much of insecurity as much as preserving their traditions and the promise they made to the King who gave them asylum.

Hindus are a majority in India but they also shun inter-religious marriages.

I will definitely check your blog. Thanks for the link.

Sai said...

Hi Anali:
Thanks a lot! I love happy endings. I cannot deal with movies which have sad endings! I am still child-like in that aspect.

Sugarlips said...

Rightnow I have a smile on my face cuz before coming to your blog I was thinking to ask you or Lotus about some good book to read and you solved my problem :)

A very nice review Sai :)
I'm gonna go to library tomorrow and grab this book :)
We have loads of Parsi families in Karachi and their names always fascinated me...I'm so glad your friend found her love and living happily :)

Stay Beautiful...!!

Sai said...

Hi Lotus:
Thanks a lot! I do remember reading on your blog that you love Rohinton Mistry's work.

I agree the Parsi community is indeed very fascinating. Those of us who are from Mumbai, have had occassions to interact and see how wonderful the community is.

Most of my father-in-law's friends are Parsees, so my husband grew up in that culture. He has even gone on trips to Udwada as a child. In fact his Gujarati sounds more like Parsee, which is so hilarious.

Whenever we go to "sukhadia's," which has the most amazing sweets in North America, he will rapidly yap in Gujarati with them. A couple of times he has been asked by the guy, "Tamey Bawaji cho," which translates as are you a Parsee. He smiles and says, "Na huu ghaati choo," which makes me laugh a lot!!

I am aware of the liberal agiary because of my friends.

My father-in-law's friend (now deceased) married a German woman in the fifties, at the time when the community was more rigid. They both returned to India and made Mumbai their home. I don't think he ever practised Zorastrianism. In fact he wasn't religious at all and more so because he had married an outsider. He passed on five years ago and had explicitly expressed that he wanted to be cremated.

Sai said...

Hey Sugarlips:

This is a great book. You will enjoy it.

Are you from Karachi??? Wow my sister's father-in-law was born and brought up in Karachi! Being Maharashtrian they had roots in Pune and moved there before the independance and partition.

We know a Pakistani gentleman here in the US who is from Karachi but his mother was from Pune. We laughed at the coincidence. He instantly took to K and I because we are from his mother's state!

tkkerouac said...

great read!

Beenzzz said...

I'm glad the families finally came around! I think if they love each other enough, then who cares what religion they are. Love is love.
The books sounds very interesting too!

Fuzzylogic said...

I have heard a lot about this book,sounds like a good read,like you I still prefer happy endings:)
I haven't interacted much with the Parsee community as such,we used to have a friend in college,her parents were relaxed and modern but she always told us she could never marry out of her community as her parents were strict about that one matter.I have read a lot about their rituals and traditions though and always found it fascinating.I have never heard of that "rebel" Group someone mentioned though.
I too liked how you interwove your experience with the review.Glad that your friend had a happy ending:)

Sai said...

Hi Tkkerouac:
Thanks for stopping by and for your comments!

Hi Beenzzz:
Yes I am glad too and I agree with you about love being love.

Hi Fuzzylogic:
Most relaxed and modern Indian parents are very particular about religion!

Sugarlips said...

Yes I'm from Karachi and my grand parents from both sides are from Delhi and moved after partition :)

Lotus Reads said...

Kem cho Sai? Maaja Ma? :)

I grew up in a Gujarati (Jain) neighborhood so Gujarati comes easily to me, but the Parsis speak it with such a delightful accent, I just love to listen to them! :)

"Sukhadia's" sounds wonderful, I envy you! We used to know a couple, the Jassanwallas, who catered for Parsi weddings here in Toronto, but one of them got ill last year and they shut down their little kitchen. I miss my Salli Chicken and Patrani Machi. Waaaa!

Have you read Mistry's "A Fine Balance"? I was completely bowled over by it. Don't you wish he was more prolific? It's been 5 long years since his last novel. Oh another Parsi writer I absolutely adore is Anosh Irani. I wish I could give everyone a copy of his "Song of Kahunsha". The book is sad and he's no Rohinton Mistry ofcourse, but he has a great writing style and his book has been chosen for "Canada Reads", hope he wins!

Sai said...

Hey Sugarlips, that's really cool to know. Do you have any family in India?

Hey Lotus:
Hoon Majaa ma choo. Tame kem cho? Mane Gujarati avadto nathi therefore cannot hold a conversation in that language.

Sukhadia is my favorite place to cater to my sweet tooth. I go to that store and order stuff "Aa ma be, aa ma tron." Their jalebi is amazing and so is their halvason. I didn't care about their "sutarpheni," which incidentally is my most favorite. I used to love Parsi Diary farm's sutarpheni in Bombay and also Budda Kaka Halwai in Mahim. This store is located close to Hinduja hospital. Their sutarpheni is to die for!

I am currently reading aapro Mistry's "A fine balance." Bauu fine book che ;-) Anyway gotta go...pachee vaad karsoo.

Dan said...

The thing I really like about the Zorastrians is that when they die, they put the body atop a high towers (Towers of Silence?) so that the vultures can eat the remains.

It's very Taoist -- life feeds life.

Sai said...

Hey Dan:
Yes it is called Tower of Silence in English. The reason however is different than taoist beliefs. They believe that earth, fire and water are very sacred and should not be defiled.

Shruti said...

After reading your blog I remembered my parsi friend who married a gujju. They too had a terrible time convincing her mom. Finally she gave in. Luckily they had a happily ever after... Got nostalgic when i read your blog. Good one.

karmic said...

Sai.. you ok? Haven't seen a post from you in a while :)

Sugarlips said...

Just dropped in to find out how u doing? Like Sanjay said haven't seen a post from you in a while..Hoping life is on mend at your end or too bz in dieting? ;) and yes I do have family in India my Phuphoo(Buwa) lives in Delhi.

Stay Beautiful..!

Sugarlips said...

Btw...Happy Holi :)


Stay Beautiful..!

Sai said...

Hey Sanjay & Sugarlips:
Thanks for asking! I have such blogged about the reason for not writing.

Hey Sugarlips: Thanks for your Holi wishes!