Monday, February 19, 2007

The Inheritance of Loss by Kiran Desai


I had this book sitting on my desk for the past two months and had not got a chance to read it. I happened to finally read it over the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. This post is not a review. I have linked two excellent reviews for your reading pleasure; one by NY Times and the other by my blogging buddy Lotus. Kiran Desai's mother Anita Desai is a prolific Indian writer, whose work I had read years ago in India. I was curious about this book for two reasons; one because this book has won the Man Booker prize and the other because I had heard her interview with Terry Gross on NPR's Fresh Air and was quite impressed.


I absolutely love the author's writing. The book has melancholy and sadness in it, which is interspersed with humor and wit. She has wonderfully depicted the different classes of Indian society in post colonial India. Being of the same generation as the author I share a lot of observations with her. Having grown up in a cosmopolitan city like Mumbai (formerly Bombay), which has its share of "brown sahibs," who are Oxbridge educated anglophiles whose formative years were in pre-independance India. Therefore they have a chip on their shoulder and are more English than the British themselves. My generation, however is confident about our Indian identity and can step back and look objectively at such pretentious elitists!

She has also poignantly depicted how poverty and helplessness and a feudal mindset gnaws away the dignity of the lower classes of society. Although the book is set against the backdrop of the Gorkhaland movement, it is not at all political. It is more anecdotal as it describes the effect it had on the lives of the people living along the Indo-Nepal border. One of the characters, Gyan with slight education joins the movement without really identfying with it but more as an outlet to his anger and frustration. Though not directly, I can draw parallels to the religious fundamentalism in India in the nineties, where some impressionable youth fell for the hatred spewed under the name of faith!

She has also described the lives of illegal immigrants in New York, who are lured by the ambition of earning dollars. They live like cattle under inhuman conditions and since they don't have proper paperwork, they are taken advantage of by their employers. In her interview on Fresh Air, she mentioned that she had actually walked into the kitchens of restaurants in New York and interviewed these members of the shadow economy. The book is sad and has honestly painted the grim reality of life in the developing world (I HATE the word "Third World") yet she has beautifully managed to not let the reader feel depressed at the end!

All in all I enjoyed the book thoroughly as you could move those characters out of the colonial town at the foothills of Himalayas and place them in Mumbai (built by the British). It reminded me of quite a number of Bombayites (not Mumbaikars) with their affected accents and cute weekend homes with picket fences, their high teas with dainty cucumber sandwiches and pastries! Their sense of privilege over their servants, who always feel deferential to their employers. Also living in the city are the sons of the soil "Shiv Sainiks" who are against anything that is perceived as "western," without even understanding the philosophy of Hinduism!

20 comments:

Lotus Reads said...

Sai, I was absolutely thrilled to see this post! "An Inheritance of Loss" was a wonderful read (and thanks for linking to me)

This book is a favorite of mine - I was overwhelmed by Desai's prose, compassion, empathy, not to speak of her acute observations of the Indian diaspora. I loved your namesake, Sai, and I will admit I could relate to her on many levels - the convent education, unconventional parents, boarding schools, sometimes seeing the world through Western perceptions (I'm embarrassed about that, but that's how it was for me then) etc.

One criticism Desai's book has received from many of her readers is that the characters were vague, not well drawn out - what did you think? I had no problem with them but it could be that having grown up in INdia it was easy for me to recognize and understand them? Speaking of characters, I loved the judge (I didn't like what he did ofcourse, but I thought he was a great characters and product of his time) and my very favorite was Biju the cook.

Another criticism is that there wasn't enough background provided wrt Gorkhaland movement and the history and geography of the region. I happen to agree with that, I see people not familiar with the regions floundering a little. What do you think?

All in all, it has been one of my favorite reads for 2006, so glad you enjoyed it too!

A beautiful write-up Sai.

Forgive the blabber, it's still early here! :)

Ash said...

Me too bought this book but havent read it yet. Must do it!

Sai said...

Hi Lotus:

I could relate to Sai at many levels too. Although the only thing I had in common with her was the convent education and a westernized view, which thankfully my parents got rid of and imbibed a sense of my Indian identity. They did it so subtly that I realize it now!

I did not think the characters were not well drawn because again having grown up in India, I could recognize it. Perhaps it might be difficult for an audience not familiar with the subcontinent.

I did agree about not describing the Gorkhaland movement though. Of course this book is not historical or political therefore I did not think much about it. You can easily access information online as well. I recognized that and that is one the reasons why I gave the Wikipedia link on my post.

I absolutely hated the judge. The two sisters, Lola and Noni were my favorite! I cannot imagine anyone so cruel as the judge.

The one thing I did notice and K called me anal for that was the overlap of the time period she wrote about. She set it in the late eighties but she spoke about the computer millionaires, which happened atleast ten years later. She also spoke about international travelers with their laptops.....in the eighites computers were very rudimentary with DOS! This is towards the end of the book when Niju returns to India.

Sai said...

Hey Ash:
Do read it and let us know what you think!

Hey Lotus:
The above was a typo....I meant Biju!

FH said...

I saw the review at Lotus too,still have to get it and read.Sounds interesting!:))

karmic said...

Nice review, I might have to read it some day. I can't say much until I read it. :-/

Beenzzz said...

Great review. I have this book on my "to read" pile. I hope to get to it soon!

Sai said...

Hi Asha, Sanjay and Beenzz:
Thanks for your comments.

Sugarlips said...

A searing review :)
"Inheritence of Loss" I read last year and thoroughly enjoyed but I have heard mixed reviews about this book too...I'm glad you enjoyed it aswell :)

Stay Beautiful...!!

Shruti said...

haven't read the book as yet so can't comment :( Hv put it on my do read list...hope i can do that sooner than later.

Lotus Reads said...

Hi again, Sai!

So glad your parents gave you a strong Indian identity. That is what I am trying to do with my children, but ofcourse, I am also trying to make it easy for them to grow up North American - it's a tough job! :)

You make a very interesting observation about the computer millionaires, it completely escaped my notice! lol

I really like your take on the book and I am going to link to your write-up from my post if that's ok.

One question - what did you think of the title? It doesn't grab me, never has...I might have been tempted to call it "Loss of Inheritance" instead, but even that doesn't have a ring to it.

Fuzzylogic said...

Sounds like a good read,I should check this out sometime.I always loved Anita Desai's novels.

Lotus Reads said...

Oops forgot to mention...

I didn't like the judge as a person, no way, I thought he was unspeakably cruel to his wife, but I like how Desai drew his character and how the racism he himself suffered may have affected his behavior as an adult.

Sai said...

Hi Sugarlips:
I guess for us, since we belong to the subcontinent and are familiar with the situation there, we could identify a lot with the characters.For a person totally unfamiliar would not understand the subtle humor.

Hi Shruti:
I am sure you will enjoy it. Perhaps you might identify certain anglophiles as well ;-)

Hi Fuzzylogic:
Oh also on Fresh Air they had Anita Desai on the phone as well. She was previously nominated but had not won the award.

Sai said...

Hi Lotus:

About my parents, I must say at that time I really used to get annoyed with them. I thank them a lot now.

About your children, well they will be Canadian kids and that influence will be stronger (because of their peers) so all you can do is make them aware of their rich culture. You are very smart so I am very sure you are doing an excellent job!

You can absolutely go ahead and link my post as well. Oops I linked yours without asking you...sorry.

About the title I think it is appropriate because here was this colonial town with all these upper class people or like the Bengalis say "Bhadralok." Just like their sense of community and home, their lifestyle is changing with the changing times. At that time Sai enters the life of the judge and will be left with this legacy of the bygone era, which is quite brittle. That is how I interpreted the title.

The judge is potrayed as such a chauvinist and so cruel. My heart bled for Nimmi and her untimely demise. It made my blood boil to see how easily she got disinherited. I have grown up without a brother in a rather modern and progressive home therefore it made me so angry. I put myself in her position and imagined how I would feel if I was told tomorrow that I had no right over my parents home! This whole concept of paying dowry and the feeling of entitlement the judge had makes me mad!!!! THere are still people like that in India.

Unknown said...

this book haven't reached my catalog at libraryThing yet. wanted to read this book for many reason-- one its criticized by nepal for wrong typecasting..!??.. do you feel that way ?1 while reading this book..!?.. i like the author and i cannot expect her do such mistakes(if so).

/Yuva

Sai said...

Hi Yuva:
I am not sure that she has stereotyped Nepalis. I don't think there is any political flavor to that book. I can say that she has looked objectively. I would like to read the criticism and see what they are alluding to.

Lotus Reads said...

Hey Sai,

One final comment - you don't have to ask to link to me, I consider it an honor. Link away and I'll do the same! :)

Sai said...

Hey Lotus:
Thank you so much! I am honored as well.

Sementinha said...

Hello Sai!

I was searching for comments on The Inheritance of Loss because I have just read it and I miss explanations on the general context of the story. You see, I'm brazilian, I did enjoy the book but from a totally different perspective of yours and reading your review made me open my eyes to this whole new angle of interpretation.
Now I feel I couldn't understand the book at all! Desai is a brilliant writer, but I don't think I can appreciate the book as you can because she didn't write for me, she wrote for indians.
All the cultural aspects you discussed never meant anything to me, thus I feel as if my reading was limited and it will always be...!
If I were to write an essay about this novel, it would never be good enough, and that's why I'm so frustrated...!
Anyways, your review was really interesting and your remarks meant a lot to me.