Saturday, February 03, 2007

Remembering Gran

My next door neighbor is a 91-year old woman. She still drives and likes to lead her life independently without any assistance from anyone. Her biggest fear, she had once confessed to me, was that she would lose her independence and would be forced by her daughter to spend her last days in an Assisted Facility. She is an extremely strong woman and in many ways reminds me of my late maternal grandmother, who died a couple of years ago at the ripe old age of 90.

My grandmother lived by herself and was totally independent. She never liked to ask any of her children for anything and would be offended if anyone even suggested. My grandparents did not live too far from my parent’s home. In fact all my mother’s siblings live within an hour’s drive from each other and so do my father’s siblings. My growing years we either had relatives visiting us or we were visiting relatives; so I do enjoy living far away from relatives here in the United States! My grandmother wasn’t the kind of person who would express her emotions freely. She was totally different than her daughter, my mother, who will unabashedly kiss her grown daughters and mother them even today! On the other hand I don’t remember my grandmother mollycoddling me, my sisters and her other grandchildren, even when we were children. I always loved visiting my grandparents’ home for my grandfather. He was so much fun to be with. He had a great sense of humor and absolutely loved children. You could get away with a lot of things with him but not with gran. She was strict and would not hesitate to discipline.

When my grandfather passed on, I used to visit my grandmother, initially more out of guilt than because I enjoyed her company. So every Friday we would have our lunch together. She would make my favorite dishes and of course delectable desserts, since I have a sweet tooth. She would however, not let me binge and would control my portions. She wasn't needy and would in fact tell me that if I wanted to hang out with my friends or kids my age on Friday’s instead of her, she wouldn’t mind and that I should do that. She would say that every time I left her home. It really used to annoy me because I thought she didn’t want to see me.

So one afternoon, out of spite, I didn’t go as per my scheduled time and hung out with my friends. I reached home around 4PM in the evening and my mother asked me the reason why I didn’t go to gran’s. I told my mother that I thought that she doesn’t really care about the fact that I find time for her. My mother started laughing and told me that her mother cannot express her feelings and that she cares....a lot about all her loved ones. She also told me that gran had made all my favorite stuff for lunch and was waiting for me and that she had not eaten herself! Since I hadn’t shown up as expected, she was worried about me and had called my mother. I was surprised and also felt ashamed at my behavior. She lived around fifteen minutes away so I rushed to her home. I lied and told her that I was studying late and that I was famished. I had had lunch but didn’t have the heart to tell her that. Since I love binging, that evening I binged to my heart’s content! After that I kept on my routine till I got married. Later K and I used to see her once a month. Before leaving for the United States, I spent an entire day with her.

Six months after moving to the US, my mother informed me that gran had stomach cancer and at that age did not want to be bothered with any treatment. I was upset and called her up right away. She was too weak to talk but insisted on speaking to me. When I heard her voice, I burst into tears. She scolded me and said that I waste too much of my time on emotions and that I should be pragmatic. She told me that she wouldn’t be there when I came home but warned me about crying or mourning. She said that I would be stupid if I wasted my time crying on the passing of a 90 year old woman. This was such a typical gran statement! Through my tears, I started laughing and we ended that conversation with laughter. She died a few days later peacefully in her sleep. Looking back I have learnt a lot from her; I hope to have her integrity, courage, strength and wisdom as I lead my life.

19 comments:

Sugarlips said...

Sai very evocative post...Having grandparents is a blessing and as u mentioned she was 90yrs old she did live her life saw her grand kids & later on everyone has to go..Mines are all gone but I miss them alot especially my Nana...He was a poet.
My maternal grandmother was 98 years old when she died.

Stay Beautiful...!!

Sai said...

Thanks Sugarlips! Yes it is indeed a blessing to have grandparents. I only knew my mother's parents. My father's father died before my birth and mother when I was a toddler so I didn't know them.

Cacophoenix said...

That so reminds me of my grandparents. I admie their courage and firce streak of independence. Thier struggles made them that way I guess. I doubt if we could be truly independant the way that they were. My husband's great grandfather just turned 100 and he still lives by his own rules, washes his own clothes by hand, and plays an excellent game of rummy. They have so much to say. God bless their souls. Loved your post.

Lotus Reads said...

What a lovely tribute to your grandmother, Sai. What a wonderful and strong-minded lady! I never ever knew my father's mother and my mother's mother died when we were quite young, but I was lucky enough to have two wonderful women literally adopt me as their granddaughter as I was growing up.

Thank you for sharing some of your memories of your grandmother with us, Sai.

Sai said...

@Cacophoenix:
Thanks a lot!

I really admire your husband's great grandfather. Wow I would love to have that fearless independent spirit myself.

@Lotus:
Thanks a lot! I wish I knew my father's parent's. Apparently my paternal grandfather's personality was just like my maternal grandmother. Iam hoping therefore that my chances of those genes would be higher ;-)

FH said...

Aw..!! Sorry to read about your g"ma but she lived on her owm terms!We should be happy for her.You are lucky to spend time before you left India.
I love both my grandmothers!They are so soft and cuddly!:)
But personally,I want to go when I am still walking around on my own and not live so long that I have to be taken care of somebody else,fingers crossed.

Lisa Johnson said...

Great post as usual! I'm glad that you had that time with your grandmother before she passed. We can learn so much from our grandparents, but our time is so limited.

My last grandparent, my maternal grandmother died 7 years ago. I visited her fairly often and it was nice to be able to get to know her while I was an adult. It would have been her birthday this past week and she would have been 96. I still miss her.

Sai said...

@Asha:
I know what you mean about being self reliant and I totally agree with you.

@Anali:
Thanks a lot! Yes grandparents are so invaluable.

karmic said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
karmic said...

@Sai.. This is such a moving post. The last bit made my eyes tear up. Oy!
I barely have any memories of my granparents. I was born so late after my parents marriage. Well that another thing I won't ever exprience.
But thank you for allowing me to relive via you what it must have been like atleast briefly.

Beenzzz said...

Your grandmother sounded like an incredibly intelligent and strong woman. I bet you did learn a lot from her!

Dan said...

What an absolutely amazing tribute to your gran, Sai. This shows not only what a wonderful person she was, but what a wonderful person you are.

Sai said...

Hey Sanjay:
I was born late to my parents as well; therefore did not know my father's parents.

Hey Beenzzz:
She was indeed incredibly smart and very progressive in her views. On the flipside she was rather cut and dry!

Hey Dan:
Aw Shucks! You embarrass me. Thanks a lot though.

SaM-GiRL said...

awww such a nice post.

Sai said...

Hi Sam-girl:
Thanks for stopping by and thanks for your kind words.

Unknown said...

dear sai,
i had tears in my eyes as i was reminded of gran,compared to me u really spent lot of your time i even remember u telling ur mom i visit aji(gran in marathi)coz i want your grandchildren to visit and love you.vishakha

Sai said...

Dearest V:
It doesn't matter....I visited gran on behalf of the three of us. You and N do a lot of other stuff on my behalf so it kind of evens out!

Fuzzylogic said...

This post really touched me.I still have my grandmother but she lives back in India and I do miss her so very much.Your grandmom is indeed such a admirable woman of spirit.Thanks for sharing this!
By the way is it ok if I link you at my blog?

Sai said...

Hi Fuzzylogic:

Thanks.

Yes you can definitely link me at your blog.