Wednesday, October 18, 2006

How could someone be so ignorant?

When I was in graduate school a few of my classmates would organize happy hour. On a nice sunny day, which were far and few in between, we would go to an outdoor cafe, which was famous for its Sangria. Out of all the international students, I was the only one who would join the group. Anyway most of my classmates were very cosmopolitan but there were some people who were clueless about anything outside their own familiar surroundings and I have one such incident that I must share with you.

One nice sunny evening a few of us from our program were hanging out at this cafe. One of my classmates, who was originally from upstate New York, came up to me and asked, “So Sai you don’t celebrate Christmas, do you?” I said, “Well I do, but just the secular part of Christmas.” Then he asks, “ So what are you, a Muslim?” I said, “No, my parents and hence I am a Hindu.” He asked me with a confused look, “What is that? Some form of Islam.” I choked on my Sangria and started laughing. I told him, “Are you serious, you don't know?" He said "No, I am from upstate NY so I don’t really know too many people who aren’t white."

I wasn't being condescending but I just couldn't resist asking him,"How can you be so complacently ignorant? Is ignorance a statement that you are trying to make?"

He might have grown up in a homogenous environment but he spent six years in this university town doing his undergraduate as well as graduate studies! I was nonplussed by the fact that he did not even care! I am not sitting on a high horse judging this guy because I think it is OK for people to not know about other cultures. But you can always ask questions before putting your foot in your mouth. Wouldn't one want to open their mind and try to learn about other people and their culture?

That made me think that this guy, despite living in such a liberal, cosmopolitan and a very intellectual environment could be so complacent in his ignorance. What can be said about an average Joe?

On the other hand maybe he was just making a very profound statement. Afterall we are same in the eyes of God and different religions are means to reach that one end. Maybe he was espousing the traditional Indian belief of "Sarva Dharma Samabhav" (everyone is created equal) and I just did not get it!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heh. Add that to the assorted list of Qs that get asked like ..

Are there TV's in India.
Elephants/snakes on streets.

I try not to get on a high horse, althought completely ignorant Qs make it hard to not get on one.

After all there is a lot of Americana that I don't know despite being well integrated and all.

However as you rightly point out I would ask without trying to sound ignorant. However that works.

But I have seen it work in reverse too. I have seen other desis make broad statements about Americans and blacks, that always prompted a response from me.

I guess it's human nature at work here too.

Sai said...

Oh you are absolutely right Sanjay about desis...I am going to write my next blog on desis too! It will probably be more harsher as I am one of them and I don't care about being politically correct I will be the say it like it is sister ;-)

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't really blame them. These people aren't really encouraged to learn about the world outside their own. Their lives begin and end withing six feet from the ground they stand on. And pitiable part is they are not really bothered by it. I have sen a lot of Indians with that attitude too, ignorant not just abt the world, but their own country...Like assuming indira gandhi is Mahatma gandhi's daughter ;-)

Sai said...

Hey Cacophoenix:

Thanks for commenting. Lol...did u meet someone from India who actually thought Mrs Gandhi was Mahatma Gandhi's daughter? That is funny but so sad!

I completely agree with you that there are a lot of Indians who are ignorant too. As Sanjay pointed in his comments above that it is human nature.

My point was that ignorance in an academic milieu is more disappointing than seeing an average Joe being ignorant!

FH said...

NO!! He was just being an ASS!! like many westerners are! I don't know any soul in the world who has not heard of Hinduism!! They teach you in 6th grade and again in High school!!

He might not know the insides of Hinduism,but deftly heard abt Hinduism and India! If he is not faking it, then you tell him to educate himself!!I live in a small town with hardly any Indians, in the south!!People do know who we are!!
Stay away from that stupidos..ugh....stupidity contageous!!

Sai said...

Hey Asha:

This guy is pretty ditzy. I thought the same way as you that's why I made that comment about his complacent ignorance. A year later he had an interview in Manhattan. This guy....listen to this....asked one of my classmates if it was safe to travel in subways...LOL!