Sunday, October 15, 2006

Retired life: leisure or loneliness?

Last evening my husband and I went to the temple. We were listening to Pandit Bhimsen Joshi’s CD and my husband was totally engrossed in the rendition of the raag “Yaman Kalyan” and was singing along with the maestro. Anyway he pulled into the parking space, turned off the ignition and consequently the CD was off but not my husband. Blissfully unaware of his surroundings, he continued singing. From the side view mirror I saw an elderly couple holding hands walking up to their car, an old Cadillac. Their car was parked to our right, therefore to my side. The wife was wearing a saree while the husband was wearing a tweed jacket. He walked her to the car and opened the door for her. I told my husband, “Oh look how chivalrous of that man to open the door for his wife. That is so old school. They don’t make men like that anymore.” Of course my husband was still negotiating the “swara,” so was oblivious to me, but as soon as we both stepped out, he suddenly realized his surroundings and stopped singing. The gentleman looked at him and said, “You have such a beautiful voice.” My husband, basically a very shy guy, was totally embarrassed and replied, “I wasn’t singing.” Since I love embarrassing him I said, “Sure you were” and then I looked at the gentleman and said, “Yes he was singing and thanks a lot for your compliment. I agree, he does have a lovely voice.”

So he laughed and introduced himself. He asked my husband, “So are you a Maharashtrian?” My husband just smiled at him and didn’t answer. He asked my hubby his last name. So my husband told him what it is. Those who are from Maharashtra (this might be true for the rest of India as well) would know that last names are typical to one's caste. My husband’s last name however is not a typical last name found in his caste. Anyway this gentleman said,” Oh wow so are you from the XYZ community” My husband said, “Well I really don’t understand castes but I don’t think so.”

My husband and I were brought up by our respective parents in a very cosmopolitan environment, so we do not care about provincial issues like caste, religion etc. Incidentally my parents and hence I, do belong to the XYZ community, therefore I smiled and told the guy, “If you are looking for someone from that community, then look no further” and extended my hand to shake his. He started laughing and said, “Well actually I belong to XYZ community as well so I felt a sense of kindredship when I heard your husband’s last name.” So I laughed and told him what my husband's caste was. Incidentally his wife belonged to the same caste as my husband. So he called out his wife's name and she stepped out of the car to talk to us. They were quite excited to meet us. I must add that in their generation it was rather uncommon to marry outside one's own caste. We chatted for quite a bit with them and then they left.

My husband asked me later, “Since when did you start caring about people being of your caste or Maharashtrian for that matter?” I told my husband that personally I don't care at all but the couple belonged to a different generation. They were in their seventies. They moved here, to the United States in the fifties. They were here at the time when there wasn’t any technological development; therefore they might not have been able to speak to their parents that regularly. They might not even have visited their families that often. Who knows perhaps we might have reminded them of themselves years ago. Since we spoke their language and were from their respective castes, they might have felt some kinship towards us.

The lady invited me to her home and said in Marathi, “Come home sometime, I will make “poli-bhaji” (typical Maharashtrian fare of bread and vegetables) for you.” This sentence spoke volumes of loneliness to me. They were retired. They might not have too many friends living near them. People move a lot in the United States. It is also said that the friendships established in our youth last the longest. Also as one gets older, one reverts to one's childhood or anything that is reminiscent of one's childhood. Language is one of them. Perhaps their kids might be very busy to visit them that often so they must be lonely. I think about my parents in India and realize that they are living in familiar surroundings. One does not face this kind of loneliness in India as there is a support system over there. As it is this country is hostile to the elderly, who aren’t considered productive and therefore not useful (this is a generalization and not everyone thinks like that but I could go on about issues faced by senior citizens). I can imagine what it must be for someone who did not grow up here! I don’t think their kids must be callous at all, but they just must be very busy with their own families and careers. It is not their fault; it's just the way things are that it cannot be helped!

Maybe I should take up her invitation to have “poli bhaji” sometime. Who knows when I am old and lonely I might want that too.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved your post. I am an only son, with very old parents and although my sis lives close by, I am sure they miss me.
You might want to take up the old couples offere for Poli Bhaji. I have often wondered about this phase of our life when that inevitably will happen. For us the other issue is our friends are pretty much all are non Desi and we have really not gone out of our way to look for Desi friends. Not sure why, its not like we are avoiding anyone. But with our busy schedules and long commutes I guess some things just take a back seat. Maybe we look for compatibility that goes beyond being from India?
I am always surprised that even educated folks in India are so caste "aware". Like you we are of a different caste and my old boss in India had a snide remark to make about that. Oh well..
BTW are you Maharashtrian? Just curious.

Sai said...

Thanks Sanjay. Yes I am a Maharashtrian.

I know people are so caste aware in India....it is really irritating. This couple lived here in the US for 50 years. The people I know from their generation are my parents, in-laws and my sister's in-laws and honestly none of them are caste conscious at all!

However my hubby's mother's cousin, who has lived here in the US since the 60s is very caste conscious. Her daughter who is an ABCD fell in love and married a to a guy who happened to be of my caste. Anyway that marriage failed and this crazy woman never once failed to mention his caste to me. Like that matter if a marriage has to fail!I of course never cared because I didn't want to stoop to her level but simply told her that marriage is a gamble and does not depend on anyone's caste. There are no statistics to prove that men from my community tend to be cads and therefore get divorced. If that were the case then my mom, aunts, sister and cousins would all be divorcees!

My husband and I were laughing so hard at this lady's premise. I agree with you, we tend to make friends with people with whom we vibe intellectually and those who share our cosmopolitan viewpoint. That transcends ethnicity, religion, race etc.

Anonymous said...

Aha.. You are the first fellow blogger who I know is a Maharashtrian too. I guess I should say "Kasa Kay" eh? I am a Maharashtrian as I am sure you have figured out by now.

*A*'s family and mine are pretty cool about it, but it's some of the other folks and it always boggles my mind. This person I mentioned was a scientist and supposedly one of the leading lights in her field in India. I guess in some places no light shines at all eh?

Well I wonder how your hubby's mother's cousin would react if her daughter had turned out to be gay or something? I do dislike the paint with a broad stroke mentality that I often see.

Have you ever been to the NY Maharashtra Mandal get togethers? I did once when I lived in NY. It seemed full of the type of people you mentioed. Variations of that couple. Nothing wrong with that, but I felt out of place. But that is a problem I have anyways. I am never quite sure where I belong. :)

Whereabout in NJ are you if it is ok to ask? If you don't want to say it's ok or want to say via e-mail that is fine too.

BTW the small state of DE does have it's fair share of desis they mostly seem to be from Gujarat and the South.

Anonymous said...

Uh ohh look who is making a comeback (NY Times link)

Sai said...

"Majet"
I will email you my whereabouts.

I am not surprised to find a lot of leading lights being in total darkness regarding the caste issues. One of my profs in the US was a Maharashtrian. She had married and divorced an American and currently has an American significant other. I was surprised at this prof's caste biases!

I totally agree with you about not fitting in. Hence we haven't been to any Maharashtra Mandals. I have cousins in the US who are members of Maharashtra mandal. I had hung out with my cousin's family in Chicago. One of their friend's son had a thread ceremony so they had organized "kelvan" and since we were visting my cousin, we got invited for it. It was a "ghaat-fest"....lol. I am only joking. I enjoyed the excellent food (panch pakvana) and sometimes it does feel nice to speak to someone other than your spouse in Marathi!

But logically did we have only Maharashtrian friends in Bombay? No, then why would we seek out other Maharashtrians here?

My hubby's mom's cuz is an idiot. I am sure she doesn't care about the divorce. She just never liked her son-in-law because he was of a different caste....lol. Her older sister, who lives in the States as well, is very liberal, intellectual and has a cosmopolitan outlook. So you can have two totally different people in one family!

Anonymous said...

I was surprised at this prof's caste biases!

I can only say "head meet my desk" Oy!

I haven't been to a ghaat- fest other than the one I mentioned. I agree about speaking to someone else other than your spouse in Marathi. I speak to family over the tel, but other than that no one else. Me and *A* go back n forth isn a mix of English, Hindi and Marathi.

No, then why would we seek out other Maharashtrians here?

I am not implying that you were seeking like minded Marathi folks here by any means. :) I was mostly talking about us.

Yep two memebers of the family can always turn out different. Me and my sis are exhibit A perhaps and I don't mean it's about caste at all just generally speaking. :)

Sai said...

No, then why would we seek out other Maharashtrians here?

Oh no...I wasn't implying about anyone in particular but just making a general comment! I was just thinking aloud.

Anonymous said...

Gotcha! :) Hope you don't mind that the frequent comments here? It can be akin to a chat room ..almost!

BTW I did not try your recipe this weekend. May be next.

Sai said...

Don't worry about it....commenting i.e. I must brag to you though....this weekend I made "faral," of course with a lot of help from husband! There is no way I could have done stuff on my own. It was too cold to go outdoors so thot this might be a productive way of spending time indoors!

I made karanji, shev, besan ladoo, chivda. I was planning chakli but better sense prevailed. All this (except chivda)first time in my life! I adapted stuff to make it more simple to make.

Anonymous said...

Oh my! Color me completely impressed!! LOL I almost want to invite myself over for all those goodies.
I agree this stuff can't be done without hubby helping. I mean we men are good for something right?

*A* did decide not to go to work and we spent Sat cleaning the house, the laundry. Sat eve we met a friend from NY who was planning to move to DE and is house hunting. Sunday was spent lazing around, watching some football, cooking and we had the same frnd over for snacks and chai.

I am really impressed that all you got done. My parents used to do the whole elaborate Diwali faral too. Is there soemthing called Sathachya Karanji? All I know was the Karanjis were amazing.
We won't be doing any of that this year.
Most years anyways we don't do much, partly cos of both being busy. I must also say I suck at keeping our cultural traditions alive.
On Oct 21st last year *A* lost her bro who was just 35 to a heart attack. He left behind a wife and girl who is almost 5 now. I don't think Diwali will ever be the same for her. She is very close to her family and so nothing this Diwali for sure.
Anyways sorry to bore you with that bit of depressing news. I do miss the spirit of Diwali though which can never be the same here, but thats how it is. Sorry for the long comment maybe I should just e-mail you my comments or use gmail chat or something.

Sai said...

We don't have too many friends in our area.

The 'faral' happened cuz I was enthusiastic and we hadn't planned anything else this weekend.

Did you watch the Michigan-Penn State game? My boss went to Penn State for the game. He hung out with his son's friends.

I am so sorry about *A* brother. It really must be very hard for her.

Anonymous said...

We don't have too many friends in our area

We don't either since we have been in DE only for about 2 yrs now.
Thiese people we know are folks we met at a get together of progressives/liberals who hang out at the liberal blog Eschaton, last year in Philly. A lot of us have kept in touch via the comments and e-mail. They are getting ready to retire and are looking at DE as a possible place.

I did not watch any Sat games. Just the Eagles-Saints game on Sunday. We did manage to get thru a few episodes of the BBC series "The Office".

It's hard for *A* but thats how it is, but she is tough as nails, women usually are.

FH said...

Well! Why would I except my kids to take care of me when I am old?!There are IRAs for that dollarwise and have my own home!!Let them visit me if they want to!! I don't care!:D I will get a hobby like blogging which takes all my time!!:))

You want to see Karnataka style Diwali in NC,US? check my blog on Thursday!:))I have Caruso rt now!
Sorry abt that guy!!

Sai said...

@ Foodie's Hope:

Of course....I totally agree with you. I would want to be self sufficient and independent too.

Unknown said...

WOW!!
That was a very enlightening exhange regarding caste. Sai and anon, I always felt that my parents living in Dadar, Mumbai atthavis (zip -400028, the reason I mention this is because its predominantly maharshtrian) are a lot more liberal than a lot of people who came to the U.S. Iguess our parents who are in India moved with the times whereas the people here are still mentally in the India of the 70s

Sai said...

Hi Prashant:
My parents too are the same. I think this kind of bias is not present in Mumbai at all. I guess outside Mumbai it is more prevalent.

BTW my mom grew up in Hindu Colony-Matunga area. She too was surprised by this bias when I mentioned it to her!