Thursday, December 21, 2006

Friday Word: Bell

Sanjay's post usually mentions the Friday word. This evening, however I happened to read Maggie's post which mentioned "Bell" as the friday word. It is the holiday season and since the year is ending in less than ten days, I thought I might include one of my favorite childhood poems by Alfred, Lord Tennyson (1809-1892). Today I snicker at my naiveté but then it is such an endearing quality that children possess and lose without fail on adulthood.

Ring Out, Wild Bells

Ring out, wild bells, to the wild sky,
The flying cloud, the frosty light;
The year is dying in the night;
Ring out, wild bells, and let him die.

Ring out the old, ring in the new,
Ring, happy bells, across the snow:
The year is going, let him go;
Ring out the false, ring in the true.

Ring out the grief that saps the mind,
For those that here we see no more,
Ring out the feud of rich and poor,
Ring in redress to all mankind.

Ring out a slowly dying cause,
And ancient forms of party strife;
Ring in the nobler modes of life,
With sweeter manners, purer laws.

Ring out the want, the care the sin,
The faithless coldness of the times;
Ring out, ring out my mournful rhymes,
But ring the fuller minstrel in.

Ring out false pride in place and blood,
The civic slander and the spite;
Ring in the love of truth and right,
Ring in the common love of good.

Ring out old shapes of foul disease,
Ring out the narrowing lust of gold;
Ring out the thousand wars of old,
Ring in the thousand years of peace.

Ring in the valiant man and free,
The larger heart, the kindlier hand;
Ring out the darkness of the land,
Ring in the Christ that is to be.

Among other things:

Bells have a lot of significance in Hinduism and Buddhism. There are different symbols of worship in Hinduism; bells, sandalwood, camphor, light, incense. In any temple at the time of prayers ringing bells accompany the chants. This is done to shut out any external sounds and to make your mind concentrate. In fact there are bells of different sizes at the entrance of every Hindu temple that devotees ring before entering the sanctum sanctorum. The sound of the bells is supposed to be healing and is supposed to offer mental peace.

When I was a child I loved jumping up and down to reach out and ring all the bells. My father would pick me up so that I could ring the ones that were out of my reach. I was at the temple a few weeks ago and saw a five year old kid who had come to the temple with his very pregnant mother. He wanted to ring the bells and she obviously couldn't oblige him. I offered to pick him up so that he can reach the bells. The sound of the ringing bells and the child's peals of laughter were like music to my ears. His laughter reminded me of the joy I felt as a child while ringing the temple bells.



The above picture is of yours truly taken ten years ago at Swayambhunath Stupa in Kathmandu, Nepal. I was walking behind few Buddhist monks, who were chanting while ringing the prayer wheels. I do not have a single photograph of a Hindu temple bell hence the above image.

10 comments:

Sugarlips said...

I love the sound of bell ringing & wind chimes :)
Your pic is awesome I wanna go there :(

Stay Beautiful..!!

karmic said...

Nice poem, I don't recall that one at all.
I always found the sound of bells at the temple (few times that I have visited in my life) sort of irritating. I thought I preferred peace n quiet. But am strange that ways.
The smaller bells used at homes are a lot quieter. That's a nice pic of you.
Happy Holidays!

FH said...

Hello cooool mama!!:D

You look good there,skinny jeans are on again,do you have it still?

I love the temple beels as long as they are right above my head!

Happy New Year! Hugs.

Sai said...

@Sugarlips:
Thanks!
I love the sound of wind chimes and bells too!

Nepal is very beautiful. I love the mountains...I wouldn't mind visiting again.

@Sanjay:
A lot of people get annoyed and don't like the chaos so I don't think that is strange at all. K gets totally annoyed and my dad used to as well. My parents dont like to go to temples....I was the weird one who forced my dad to take me to the temple so I can ring the bell...LOL.

Happy Holidays to you and A!

@ Asha:
Enjoy your vacation! Hugs to you as well.

By the way I had those skinny jeans till last year. I had to get rid of them as I just don't fit in them anymore. Those are size 4 and I am size 4 in my dreams! My bloody Indian genes :-D

Lynnea said...

Sai I really enjoyed your description of ringing the bells as a child. It was so kind of you to lift that mom's boy so he could ring them too! Lovely post.

Sai said...

Maggie so nice to see you here. Thanks a lot!

Happy Holidays!

Lisa Johnson said...

Great picture and I really like this poem! I've always loved the sound of bells and windchimes too. There is something magical and otherwordly about their sounds.

Sai said...

Thanks! I agree with you about the sound of bells and wind chimes. In fact in Feng Shui they recommend wind chimes for positive energy.

Lotus Reads said...

What a great picture, Sai! I'd love to go to Nepal sometime, and not just because the ex was from there! ;)

I love temple and Church bells - there is certain energy that emanates from those sounds that fills my soul and lifts me up - I can't really explain it.

Lovely post, thank you!

Sai said...

Yeah Nepal is very beautiful and spiritual. I also want to go to Tibet and especially Kailash Mansarover. Of course I prefer going through China and not from India because that route is supposedly prettier.

Thanks about the pic. K has been reading all your comments and wants everyone to know that he took the picture.