Sunday, December 17, 2006

Urban lexicon

I started working a few years ago at my current job. My boss, coworker, our attorney and I had gone for a conference to Atlantic City. We had left early in the morning, around 6:30 AM. Since I cannot eat that early in the morning, I did not have anything but a cup of tea. By lunch time, around 1PM, I was ready to pass out with hunger! Anyway the four of us decided to have lunch in a restaurant that they had had lunch the previous year. They asked me if there was a place I wanted to go to. I was new in the United States (had been here only for two years), absolutely brand new in Joisey and of course it was my first visit (and only one so far) to Atlantic City; so really didn’t know anything to offer an opinion. Most importantly I was too hungry to even care where I ate!

Anyway we took a bus and after a short ride went to the restaurant, which is located in one of the hotels. To our dismay it was closed for renovations. It was almost 1:20 PM and everything around me including my boss’s bald head looked incredibly edible. The only place that was open was Hooters. I was the only woman in that group and the rest barely knew me. They became incredibly uncomfortable and asked me what I wanted to do. They were game to going to any other restaurant. Of course I had not been to Hooters before and had no idea what it was. There was a picture of an owl so I didn’t know what the fuss was and told them that I was very hungry and I didn’t care where I ate! Our attorney apologizes to me once again and also says that his wife will throw a fit if she comes to know that he ate there. I didn't realize what he meant and was thinking to myself, “She must be a snob.” I was so hungry that I didn't notice anything around me and was waiting for my order. Anyway the food arrived and it had my undivided attention. Half way down the meal I was satiated (American portions throw me off completely) and started looking around me. It was November and I noticed that all the waitresses were in tank tops and short shorts. I thought to myself this is bizarre, aren't these women cold? Our waitress walks over to the table and bends down to serve us. I notice her twins hanging out and also that she had worn panty hose under the shorts. I thought it was rather bizarre that she was dressed like that.

Later in the evening my boss, co worker and I were driving back home. My boss apologizes once again to me about having had lunch there. I told him to not worry about it and wondered aloud what “Hooters” meant. He blushed and turned a deep crimson and told me that he cannot tell me and to ask my husband what it meant. So I get home and tell K what had transpired and then ask him what “Hooters” meant. K fell off his chair laughing. Today I have added hooters to my urban lexicon along with knockers and jugs. Knowing my personality it was very amusing for my husband that I ate there. But then they say ignorance is bliss!

11 comments:

FH said...

HA! HA! HA!!

All their brain cells seems to have trickled into their hooters too, Sai!:D:D

Last week,8 hooter's girls were in the mob in that game show "1 VS 100" and all of them lost in one go! It was hilarious!

No, I haven't been to one, I don't think I want to.Poor things have to endure that just for few dollars!

Ashish Agarwal said...

This was funny. I can just imagine the condition of the males, knowing that only one place was open, but not one of them would want to suggest that place.

Sai said...

@Asha: I think women with low self esteem are OK with objectifying themselves. You know to please a man no matter what.

@Ashish: I know....I still laugh when I remember that incident.

Sugarlips said...

Hehehe..Sounds like a fun luncheon :)
Waisay sachi mai "HOOTERS" give me shivers ;) I don't know how they carry so much weight lol & shorts in november? Christ !

Stay Beautiful..!!

karmic said...

That was so funny! I am sure there are more terms to describe that part of the anatomy.

Sai said...

@Sugarlips: I agree with you about carrying so much weight and yet defying gravity ;-)

@Sanjay: I am certain that there are more terms but who the hell wants to know. Although knowledge is power in this case I prefer to be ignorant.

RamaDrama said...

Cute....well..in Hooters defense as it is headquartered in Atlanta..it is called a "neighbourhood beach-style restaurant" with "Dallas cowboy-cheerleader outfits" ;)

Lotus Reads said...

hahaha, what a great post, Sai! I've never been to a "Hooters", not sure they even have one in Canada!

Oh and here's another one for your urban Lexicon - rack (I only just learned of it myself) ;)

Sai said...

@Motorama: Well that is a perfect example of euphemism!

@Lotus Reads: Thanks....it's always nice to increase one's vocabulary ;-)

Lisa Johnson said...

That is hilarious! I've never been to one and don't really plan to. My friend went with her boyfriend and she said they have great french fries though!

Sai said...

@Anali:
Yes their french fries are very good! I had ordered Philly cheesesteak with french fries.