Saturday, December 09, 2006

Tortugas Mexican Village

In a very pretentious Ivy League university town like Princeton, there is a small Mexican restaurant called “Tortugas Mexican Village.” I think they own two other restaurants; one is in Trenton while the other is in Collegeville, PA. The one in Princeton is located on Leigh Avenue, between John and Witherspoon Street. This is a BYOB place, very friendly and casual ambience and is moderately priced. We usually carry Sangria with us. If you are looking for something sophisticated then this is definitely not the place for you but if you are looking for excellent Mexican food then you are in the right place.

Usually it is very crowded during the summers with a long wait. Last night we called around 6 PM and were told that we could come in anytime and there was no wait. Well they always say that and you invariably have to wait. In addition, they don't take reservations. So anyway as soon as we reached there, my husband drops me off and tells me to get a table while he found a parking spot. There was no way we were going to wait outside freezing our posteriors off in 25F temperature. This time they were right because it was rather empty. I tell the woman, “table for two” and she points me towards this uncomfortable corner next to this table for eight where a lone guy, who was a walking advertisement for "Abercrombie & Fitch" catalogue, was sitting by himself and talking on his cell phone. I ask her if there was some other larger table available, pointing towards the empty tables for four all over the place. She says, “don’t worry you can sit at the table for two because that corner is heated.” I sigh and think to myself “Oh boy….another communication gap.” I close my eyes and say “Mesa grande” hoping that this is what it translates as larger table in Spanish. Suddenly her eyes light up as if she has had an epiphany and she replies in English, “Oh you want a bigger table??” I smile and say “Por favor gracias” and am taken to a nice, cozy corner far away from the A & F guy who very soon had his other gang members join in. There is no way I would be bothered with another round of “totally” “whatever” “awesome” or “like so awesome.” I am sorry people but I am a crank who needs to concentrate on her food, especially guacamole!

Anyway they serve you a round of tortilla chips and zesty homemade salsa on the house before it shifts over to tamales, chicken with guacamole sauce etc. They also have Americanized dishes like burritos, fajitas, tacos and also a few vegetarian options, which I have never tried as the only vegetarian fare I would eat is Indian. They have rather large portions and you invariably end up taking a doggie bag. You can check the menu here. The service is quick and the staff is very warm and friendly. The only annoying thing last night was that K is a fast eater while I take forever to finish my meal. So the guy cleared K's plate and then assumed I must be done as well. I was so busy chatting that I didn't notice till K told the guy, "Wait! She is still eating so don't clear hers as yet."

I would say this place serves the most authentic Mexican food, north of the border. How do I know? When I was living in Michigan, I worked one summer in Detroit and my friends and I used to often go and eat in Detroit’s Mexican town area. I absolutely loved the food and this place reminds me of that!

8 comments:

karmic said...

Sounds like a nice place, a bit too far for us. :)

Nice Friday word post too and it was quite touching.

Belated happy anniversary!

Sai said...

@Sanjay:
It is not worth driving all the way from Willmington for Mexican. However as a confirmed glutton, I have driven 100 miles with my friends for amazing bacon upto the Canadian border and to Maine for lobsters! So I can drive for excellent food but this is not worth driving so much!

About Friday post: Thanks....I was kinda emotional last week.

Dan said...

NO!!! Why did I read this post at this time?! I won't be eating for at least another four hours (I have yoga class from 8:15 to 10:15) and usually eat afterwards.

But I am SO HUNGRY now! :(

Sugarlips said...

Wrong timings to check your blog...I'm starving & I have NOTHING to eat :(


Stay Beautiful...!!

Sai said...

Dan:
Wait I thought you couldn't eat an hour before yoga. What kind of yoga do you do? Hatha, Kundalini or Ashtanga?

Sai said...

Dan: Could u email me where you go for ur yoga class?

Sugarlips:
oops! sorry :-D

Dan said...

Sai, I didn't see your e-mail in your profile so I can't e-mail you as you requested.

You're right -- I can't eat within an hour of yoga class. I do Iyengar Yoga in NJ.

Sai said...

THanks Dan. Oh Ok my husband does Iyengar yoga as well. I wanted to start kundalini yoga thats why I wanted to know.