Friday, December 08, 2006

Friday Word: Dark

Sanjay mentioned "dark" as the Friday word. So here is my lame attempt at it. Since it is my anniversary today, I thought I might dedicate the following poem to my husband.

Darkness of the night
The tenderness of your touch
The crescendo of your breath
As deep sleep envelopes

Your snoring is too loud
Wakes me up like an alarm
Oh my God I must sleep

Its only 3AM.

Among other things:
The word "dark" invokes a lot of emotions. It reminds me of the evening, a few years ago when I learnt that my mother had an accident. I had called her and she told me that she and my father were stepping out to visit their friends and to call back later. I had told her that I wouldn't be able to call her for a week as I was going out of town. I called my parent's home ten days later to find that she had an accident that very evening while returning from their friend's home and that very moment she was undergoing surgery. I was kept in the dark by my family because they didn't want me to worry. It really made me so angry at her, my father and my sisters for treating me with kid gloves.

I remember going to visit her a few months later and was so shocked to see her look so emaciated. I had a nickname for her, I used to called her "Jhaadee," which means plump in Marathi and it broke my heart to see her so frail. I had to compose myself and not cry in her presence. She wanted to hold me close while I pulled away and made excuses. I went to the bathroom and cried my heart out and then spoke to her with a very composed voice. I made fun of her and teased her a lot but I am sure she knew that I was hiding my emotions. She was at that time staying with my older sister. Later during the week I went to my parents home, which looked so empty without her. I saw her walking stick and the disability railing that my father had put in the bathroom for her. I realized at that time that the roles had reversed and that I must try and be their support and not vice versa.

Speaking of more positive things, I love dark chocolate and walking on the beach on dark starlit nights. Like all children I was frightened of the dark but loved to harass my older sister, who needed complete darkness while sleeping, by turning on the bright light at odd hours at night.

5 comments:

FH said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY again!

Sorry about your mom Sai.

*Your snoring is too loud
Wakes me up like an alarm
Oh my God I must sleep
Its only 3AM*

That's my story! Arvind snores like a Jet! 20yrs Sai, 20yrs!!:D

Any day is never dark for me as you know by now.

Enjoy the 10th!:)

Steven said...

I like the movie "Darkman." ;)

Steve~

Sai said...

asha:
THanks. My mother is much better now *touch wood* She anyway had to lose some weight for her arthritis and hypertension.

Well since your name is "asha" it would be rather a misfit if u had a pessimistic attitude!

@Steve:
Thanks for stopping by!

Sugarlips said...

No matter how dark the night is there is always a bright morning waiting for us :)

Sorry about your mom...I hope she is doing good now :)

1st stanza of your poem made me go awwww & as soon as I started reading the 2nd one it gave me a broad grin :D

Stay Beautiful...!!

Sai said...

@sugarlips:
Thanks for your kind words. LOL I can never be mushy....it embarasses the hell out of me.