Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Random Rant

This post is a random rant about absolutely nothing important but just me venting about one of my pet peeves. You have been forewarned so go ahead and read it at your own risk.

I am usually asked this question, “ Where are you from?" There is nothing wrong with the question and it is perfectly okay to ask a person this. So then I respond by saying, “I am from India.” What really amuses or annoys me depending on the time of the month is when I am told, “ Wow really…you don’t look Indian.” So I usually reply by saying, “ Gee I don’t know whether you are meaning to compliment me or insult me.” Then I am told “Well you look a lot different than what we expect people from India to look like.” (YES! this happened to me this morning!!!) I get that or similar variants of that sentence. I sometimes respond with an incredulous look, “So have you panned the entire subcontinent and done a study on how an Indian is supposed to look?” Don't people have a mental edit button that will edit stuff out before they blurt out word vomit? Let me tell you this dear readers, I have the map of Maharashtra stamped across my face and since Maharashtra is one of the Indian states therefore I definitely look Indian!

A couple of times I have also been told that I am too tall for an Indian woman. So was there a study conducted that measured the height of each and every female in India or was there a random sample taken and a statistical analysis done, which concluded that anyone above a certain height is too tall for an Indian woman! I feel like responding, "Well you ignorant morons I am an Indian and I love the fact that I belong to the subcontinent and do have a strong sense of my cultural background. It is just that I do not wear it on my sleeve." Since I have a mental edit button I generally keep mum and ignore people. That is fun part of blogging, you can rant in relative anonymity!

The one fact that confirms my Indian genes is that I grew vertically in my teens and then in my late twenties and now thirties I am expanding horizontally and I have absolutely no control over it! Those are my 100 percent Indian genes right there....there you go.... you have the proof, happy now?

14 comments:

magiceye said...

BRAVO!!!!!!
WAY TO GO!!!!!
DE DHANADUN!!!!

Sai said...

LOL....it has been a long time since I have heard the expression "de Dhanadun"

FH said...

Tell me about spreading horizontally in our 30s girl:D:D

Oh!! lordy! lordy!It gets worse in 40s!!

karmic said...

LOL. funny. I haven't been asked this in a long time. Maybe ppl think I am Spanish and I can't speak any English so they dont talk to me at all. ;)
The last time I was asked this was at our local butcher and I said I am from Connecticut. Well we lived there for a long time and we were new to our current neighborhood so technically it was the correct answer. Well did eventually say I am from India.

Heh unlike you I never grew much vertically (very sickly as a kid) despite the best attempts of my folks.
But I havent grown horizontally at all unlike a lot of folks in their 30s and 40s. The exercise and diet has kept things at bay.

karmic said...

Oh don't listen to Asha about 40s. Have you seen her pic at her blog?

Sugarlips said...

Hahaha...Are u going to post your full pic when u will be in ur 40's ;)
We all go through this like where r u from orginally? When I say Pakistan so they are like Ohhh how do u speak english so fluently? Duh ! what kinda stupid qs is that ! makes me think of a old joke...

Some aunty came to America & when she went back to Pakistan someone asked her how was your trip to states? she was like wow ppl are so educated there..."chotay chotay bachay bhi angraizi boltay hain"

Stay Beautiful..!!

Sai said...

@Sugarlips: LOL...I don't know about my forties. DArn it why the hell do I have such a sweet tooth?

I know...people ask the dumbest questions.

Hey I know that joke about the auntyji! LOL its such a small world.

Sai said...

@Asha: I checked your photo out as per Sanjay....Wow....so unless you photoshopped it....don't even talk about your Indian genes.

@Sanjay: Ha ha ha....I have had that happen to me a couple of times. People randomly talk in Spanish to me.

I even had a woman from Peru talk to me in Spanish. I told her that I spoke only English. She asked me, "oh really why don't you speak no spanish." I told her that apart from english I speak three other Indian languages very well so I could talk to her in Hindi if she wanted.

All Is Whole said...

Seems like you was mentally exhausted while writing this.......

anyways enjoyyyyyy

Sai said...

@ Prashant: Err no....as I warned just a random rant about one of my pet peeves.

Thanks for stopping by :-)

Dan said...

You have a pet peeve? I was thinking of getting one but I'm not sure what to feed it. What do you feed it? Are peeves easy to maintain? Like, could they be trained to use a litter box or something?

Sai said...

@Dan:
ROTFL....
Well since I am high maintenance I don't want anything else in my home to be high maintenance. Therefore pet peeves are absolutely low maintenance. You should get one! They are fun and entertaining.

What does one feed a pet peeve? Today I will be feeding all the comments on this post to it.

Pet peeves are potty-trained....they won't embarass you in public.

Feel free to email me if you have any additional questions. I will be more than happy to help you adopt a pet peeve. They are waiting at the shelter with sad eyes which say, "Pick me....Pick me....please me me me."

Lotus Reads said...

Great post, Sai and I can relate completely! I wish they'd ask me where I was from, in my case I usually get "Are you Persian?" "Are you from Italy"? And ofcourse, when I reply I'm from India, they look at me suspiciously like I was trying to lead them on or something, it's hilarious!

Sai said...

@Lotus Reads:

LOL the same thing happened to my brother-in-law (who lives in Bombay)in Teheran. He was there early this year for a few days. A cabbie asked him if he were from Italy and he replied no from India. The cabbie thought my b-i-l was pulling his leg and told him "Come on sir I am serious"

I was visiting home at that time and he told me and hubby what transpired. We were laughing so hard! So I guess stereotyping is universal.